Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite brand of reloading dies & why?

I’m not accurate enough to justify Redding dies, I’d love some, but I can’t make the cost worth it.
    Dillon Dies are very nice, but you sure pay a premium for just two dies.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Lee dies, they work as well as anything else and are a great value. BUTthe lock rings SUCK!
    RCBS is my personal choice though, all the die sets I own and use on a single stage press are RCBS. They are made well, work well, priced fair and the warranty is just crazy! I purchased a used RCBS X-die knowing it was broken. About 15min on the phone, even telling them I’d bought it broken, new parts were on the way, on their dime. They wouldn’t even let me pay shipping, believe me, I tried to give them some money! That locked in my resolve that I’d made a good choice purchasing their dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

I like the Hornady sliding bullet seating dies. I am less likely to drop a bullet when seating.

I like the Lyman M dies for neck expanding. They seem to do a better job with the little step.

For re-sizing, I like the CH4d neck sizer. The bushing is changeable, of course, but you can use the same die for many different cartridges. I use the same one for 22-250, 30-06 and 338 win mag.

Boolit Master
    1. Redding
    2. Forster
    3. RCBS
    4.CH4D
    5. Lyman
    6. Dies I cobbled up using rusty old 7/8" bolts
    7. Lee

Boolit Master
    I have more than a 100 die sets of all different brands.
    Some calibers I have multiple die sets of the same brand. Some calibers I have multiple sets of different brands. I have measured the interiors of most of these dies. Most dies have similar interior dimensions.
    I found RCCBS to be the best for quality, availability and service.
    Second are Bonanza/Forester. They are very good but they charge for repair parts and calibers are very limited.
    Redding are also very good but are less available in a wide selection as used dies.
    EDG

Comparing Apples & Oranges...

Here, we are talking pretty much about dies that make general fodder, some better than the rest, some...in our point of view...better than factory...but, when you look at your finished bottleneck ammo with one of these ^ gizmos pictured above, well...some of you will be taken back.
    I was and am surprised at which dies did the best job in the type presses we use. If you get too OCD over it all you'll prolly end up a 'Bench rest' shooter and then all bets are off, your gonna need a few more tools than just quality dies!

EDIT: changed pictures...
    Last edited by OS OK; 11-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I think I'll let my loading bench answer this question.

1. RCBS---I have more of these than any other brand.
    2. Redding---This is the brand that I have the second most of.
    3. Dillon--- Mostly used on my 550.
    4. Forster---A nice set of dies but the only set that I own.

They all work well. The Dillon work better on progressive presses. The Redding and Forster have the fancy competition seaters.

Boolit Master
    All my dies are lee, only ones giving me issues are 380 (probably need an undersized die for jacketed rounds). Some were gifts, others purchased when starting and I thought you had to match press brand with die brands . Now I know better but i've already accumulated all the dies for my current calibers.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Bub
    for pistol in a progressive I like Dillon dies, they are really great for cast as you can disassemble the seat and crimp dies to clean them without having to readjust.

Boolit Master
    Started with Lyman now Lee dies only

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackRat View Post
    for pistol in a progressive I like Dillon dies, they are really great for cast as you can disassemble the seat and crimp dies to clean them without having to readjust.
    My reason for using them as well. Dillon makes it easy to run cast bullets that will eventually cause a lube build up. I use Dillon dies for pistol calibers in the three Dillon presses I have.

My rifle dies have been either RCBS, Bonanza (yep, they are old), and Lee. They all work but if I was buying new ones I would stay with the better quality dies. I will likely never buy another set of dies for rifle. Been thinning the herd for a while and am down to only four calibers. .223, .30/30, .308 and .300 Mag. I currently use Lee for the .223 and I plan on replacing them as I cannot seem to get great accuracy. It is not me, (the .308 is sub MOA with RCBS dies) but it could be the gun. I will likely get the higher end Redding dies.
    Don Verna

In most cases, accuracy is a matter of learning to use the equipment you have to give the best result. Some brands probably make this easier than others. I can't say about that, just speculate.
    I buy my loading dies as inexpensively as I can. Mostly Lee. They produce ammunition that shoots as well as I can hold. The shots out of the group are consistently my fault.
    I have tried a couple of other brands but the end results have not changed.

Banned
    So far
    ................1st...2nd...3rd...4th
    Hornady.....-........1......-.....1
    Dillon.........-........1.....1.....-
    Lee........... 4.......2......2....1
    Lyman........-........2......1....-
    Redding......6.......3......2.....-
    RCBS.........10......3......4.....-
    CH4D.........1........-.......-....1
    Forster.......1........2......1....1
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-11-2017 at 03:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have many sets of dies by many makers. I use mostly RCBS and Lyman. I like Redding equipment but can't really justify the extra cost. I do use/buy them if I have a specific need and find them at a good price. I use Lee dies and have bought several Carbide sizers to add to some of my older steel pistol dies. The guano Lee lock rings are replaced with regular locking rings( I buy them when they are on sale and currently have RCBS, Hornady and atleast one other brand on hand) Most/many of my neck sizers are Forester. The current generation of Hornady Pistol dies are good except for the sizers, which I replace with Lees or whatever is on sale. I do prefer the older Hornady rifle dies to the new generation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    ................1st...2nd...3rd...4th
    Hornady.....-........1......-.....1
    Dillon.........-........1.....1.....-
    Lee........... 4.......2......2....1
    Lyman........-........2......1....-
    Redding......6.......3......2.....-
    RCBS.........10......3......4.....-
    CH4D.........1........-.......-....1
    Forster.......1........2......1....1
    Hey, what about my dies made crudely from old rusty 7/8 NF bolts??

Banned
    Redding for .223

RCBS competition for 22-250, 308

RCBS for pistol calibers followed by Dillon

No Lee for me.

Boolit Master

I use what I can afford. So all my dies are Lee. I have been able to find great accuracy with all my guns. When I was inaccurate I never blamed the dies or gun. I just went back to the drawing board with different powders and bullet fit. Got a few new calibers I plan on reloading for and will most likely go with Lee dies. Wish Lee would make micrometer bullet seater.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    I don't blame dies for inaccuracy. I rate dies according to quality,warranty,and ease of operation.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    In most cases, accuracy is a matter of learning to use the equipment you have to give the best result. Some brands probably make this easier than others. I can't say about that, just speculate.
    I buy my loading dies as inexpensively as I can. Mostly Lee. They produce ammunition that shoots as well as I can hold. The shots out of the group are consistently my fault.
    This is my experience as well. Most people aren't shooting pistols at 100 yards so dies aren't going to make a big difference in accuracy. Rifles are different. But even then it's about using them properly. I have Lee dies that produce less runout then higher dollar dies. I don't shoot benchrest so I don't need .2 MOA. MOA is more than enough for me. And if the rifle is capable of less than MOA then Lee dies are capable of producing the ammo for it.

Everyone has different needs. So buy what you need.

Boolit Master
    Redding for rifles.
    RCBS carbide for my pistol/ revolver
    I do have a set of Hornady for 30-06, but when I fire them they turn into 30-06 a.i and then back to Redding.
    I started out with Lee and they did ok, but lacked something.... not sure what. I sold all of them to people mostly on this forum who were starting out.
    I really like the Hornady lock rings.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    To be 100% factual I will admit that I tried Lee reloading dies. I dont like the retaining rings. I find that the quality isn't as good as say RCBS for one. Their taper crimp 9mm die was poorly finished and resulted in scraping of the case. With quality like that I simply don't need to experience any more of it.
    If I'm into saving money I will simply buy used RCBS dies and have them for about the same price as new Lee dies. RCBS after all has a great warrantee program and will either repair or replace as needed without question. Lee wouldn't even replace a defective 9mm taper crimp die.

Having said this I will also admit that the manufacturers of the different dies didn't have any difference on the accuracy of any round I loaded. If however one wants to get really technical in bench rifle shooting I have experienced reloading the same cartridge shot after shot and even go as far as to use a micrometer and other gauges to check for taper and such and actually index the round in the same exact position for every shot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast