MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A NEW Powder Stand for you LEE Turret Boys...good idea!

A NEW Powder Stand for you LEE Turret Boys...good idea!

Here's a new take on using your preferred powder throw above your Lee turret press...this powder stand will do more than that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zaLqyXWEUc
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold

Mr Don...I noticed that adapter plugs into the top of the die with two 'O'rings...Does the powder throw move sideways when you throw a charge or does it stay as you placed it? I noticed it doesn't lock into the die top with threads, it fits like the powder funnel.

It is threaded, I have one that I use with a Lee PPM, they do work rather well for the $20 they cost.
    But that powder stand does look pretty slick, I may have to make something like it that’s adjustable so I could use it on my turret and Dillon for rifle loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Grand Master

I made one similar to that one for my Dillon 650 I use for rifle loads. It bolts to the strong mount 1"od tube with plugs pressed in each end, It bolts to the strong mount with one 5/16 24 bolt ( had to drill a hole in the strong mount for it to mount). The bar is adjustable for length on a slotted slide to accommodate different measures and has 2 ends one flat for c-clamp style mounts, and one 7/8 14 for thread mounts. It is 1 1/2" by 3/4" with the slide milled into ends and a clamp for the 1" tube on one end of the back half. the front half is 2 pieces one flat and one with the 7/8 14 hole. Its adjustable in and out up and down and side to side with just a 3/16 allen wrench. I use my harrels on it a lot when loading rifle ammo. But have the option of the rcbs uniflow, little dandy, lyman 55.
    If you wanted to save doing the press in ends a 1" cold rolled round bar can be used with hole drilled in one end. I used the tube because 1) it was available and 2 it saved some weight.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Mr Don...I noticed that adapter plugs into the top of the die with two 'O'rings...Does the powder throw move sideways when you throw a charge or does it stay as you placed it? I noticed it doesn't lock into the die top with threads, it fits like the powder funnel.
    Very snug fit. The Uniflow is in there and will not easily come out. There is a bit of wobble when advancing the turret BUT it is not a problem. No movement when throwing powder.

Banned
    The new Lee measure that is designed to work on the press is (dare I say) more accurate than a Uniflow (I own 5), a lot lighter, has a small and large drum and is a LOT less expensive.

When you add a baffle and the powder weight down gizmo (Ebay), the Uniflow is OK w/short cut and ball.

Big stick powders demand an electronic dispensing measure.

Boolit Mold
    I'm not here to debate powder measures OR stands for that matter. Just showing methods of using your existing equipment with a new purchase. I had the Uniflow. I bought the LCT. For 15 bucks I am able to use them together. Problem solved.

Mr. Don,
    Do you supply your adapter threaded instead of the O rings? It is a 5/8" OD thread, I forget the thread pitch.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Mold

Boolit Master
    Here's a new take on using your preferred powder throw above your Lee turret press...this powder stand will do more than that though.

that is one of the best things I've seen in a long time.
    I like to be able to 'see' your charge go into the funnel. makes you feel better about double charges or squibs.

Boolit Master

That’s pretty slick. Thanks for posting it. I have the original (not cast) turret press, so I might have to whip up something similar for it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Don View Post
    Dang it! And I thought I was the first one with this idea...I've been thinking about building something exactly like that but for now I've just been wrapping some tape around the drop tube on my Little Dandy until it fits snug in the die...

Thanks for the link!

I've been using this stand for a bit now, had another thread on here about it a week or two ago. Works great for what i need to do with it. one benefit i see is that you keep the weight off the turret for when it indexes. not a huge deal but easier to run the handle if that matters. have not tried with one on the press other than the lee auto disc. I know he's also looking at other uses for that stand, like for case trimming.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing the video. Too pricey for me though...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

My Lee Auto Drum works just fine.

I like the idea as I have two drum measures, the Redding 3BR and the Lee Classic. I also have two Auto Drum measures that work really, really well. I dedicated one Auto Drum to the large drum and the other to the small drum.

For $75 I could buy two more Auto Drum measures and still have money for a 6-pack of beer.

I might take a stab at making one using surplus angle iron I have laying around.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

I am a little confused.

Why would anyone run their uniflow or LNL dropper on a stand above the press when they can buy case activated linkage and mount it directly to the press? Heck, even without case activated linkage you can mount it to the press directly.

Is it to save money on a QC Powder die? Those are only $22 or so.

This setup works for the Uniflow and the LNL Dropper and probably a few other drum droppers. Use it with a Powder Funnels universal PTX bushing and you are set.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lct05.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	208287
    Last edited by Stilly; 11-23-2017 at 03:47 AM.

He didn't want the extra weight of the Uniflow on top of the Lee press...think it was because he thought it would wear the plastic thingie that rotates the press...don't remember exactly what he said motivated him.

I'd rather put it on the turret but I use a T Mag II and weight on that turret isn't so noticeable.

It is quite a weight difference over something like the Auto Drum. Plus the torque from raising the drop lever tends to loosen things up.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast