RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In these troubling times......

In these troubling times......

Where people seem to get crazier by the week, I’m really beginning to question my choice for my main carry gun!
    I have a Delta Elite that I can easily CCW with, but I wanted something lighter and smaller that I could throw in my pocket. That plan has evolved as it’s a real PITA to fish any gun out of your pocket in a seated position. I now have two different style holsters I’m happy with and the means to carry 25rds on my person should I want to.
    But is five initial rounds enough with the threats we seem to be facing?
    I’ve looked at similar sized autoloaders, I’ve always had a soft spot for the Kahr line up, just very simple and clean guns, but I’m at 7 rounds but with a quicker reload. Right now I’ll probably buy a SCCY if I can get some pennies saved up, a few friends have them, I’ve shot them, and for a $250 gun, they are nothing short of impressive! That gets 10 or 11 plus one, much better and I figure my son will enjoy it now and later on.
    I bought a Glock 19 when they first came out, loved everything about the gun, but I couldn’t shoot it!
    Another buddy has an original M&P Shield, we did the trigger work on it and it shoots well enough, but I’m hearing a lot of problems with them now, which sucks!
    There’s no way I’ll ever go back to .380, I just loathe that round, I’d rather carry a .32ACP! Really not that fond of 9mm, but the ammo is better now than back in the ‘90’s.
    Am I making much ado about nothing and if five can’t keep me alive nothing will? Or are others starting to question their carry choices now days?
    As I said, I pretty much plan to get the SCCY CPX2 no matter what for my son to be able to plink with, but do I ditch the LCR for an auto or just keep on with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

I figure the odds of my ever needing to use my CCW are extremely low to begin with, unless I'm being inordinately STUPID and voluntarily entering areas where I fear to go without a firearm to begin with.

That said, IF I ever have to pull it, I'll already be having one of, and likely THE worst day of my life. Let alone I actually use it. Let alone I fire it 5 times and STILL have a problem. Let alone I need to produce said CCW like a quick-draw artist.

Bottom line is, I think the MOST important thing is to have something you will consistently have on your person, and which is consistently reliable. Which for me means revolvers. Pull the trigger. If you still have a problem, then repeat until the problem is no longer a problem. If you've done that 5 times and your problem STILL exists, then either you're perpetually screwed or you haven't practiced NEARLY enough. Round counts and quick-draw contests are not something I spend any time agonizing about.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-08-2017 at 04:13 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glock 29 or 23 in summer; Glock 20 in winter.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

You make some good points for sure.
    Back when I was young and dumb and CCW permits rarely existed in KS, I pretty much carried that Glock everywhere I went! If I was really concerned I threw in the 44mag and MAC-11, just because!
    I HAVE had to draw a couple times and did fire a warning over the heads once. A group of eight high school football players got drunk and stupid, they decided to go after a friend. Another time I watched a guy get beat up, maybe got hit six times, while a group of black guys felt they needed to make a point. I didn’t know him from Adam and it was one on one, at no point did I feel his life was in danger.
    After the thugs left his buddy came over and ripped my butt for not getting involved! I had to explain what I was doing was illegal and his buddy would survive. Then there was the night I got chased by three carloads of gang bangers..... I could go on.
    My life is a lot simpler now, but I still have a knack for inadvertently walking into trouble somehow. So while I respect, and greatly appreciate, the fact you’ve never had to draw your weapon, I’ve found myself on both ends of a gun more times than I care to relive! Let me also assure you, both ends of that gun sucks in those instances!
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Glock 29 or 23 in summer; Glock 20 in winter.
    I can’t shoot Glocks, they just don’t fit me, don’t point right and I’m just not accurate or comfortable with them, otherwise I’d get another 19 and be done.

Banned
    I used to carry a colt Officers 45acp in stainless. My son had a fit and convinced me to buy a Glock 23. It took a while for me to get used to the snappy recoil it had. It for me was simply too short and in order to master it I went to a conversion barrel a lone wolf 9mm barrel and I was able to master it after doing some trigger work. I now alternate between the 40 cal barrel and the 9mm barrel depending on who I am with and what they are carrying. With todays state of goings on one must always consider going armed everywhere anymore. Generall a minimum of three to 4 magazines go with me.

Boolit Master

I never feel under gunned carrying my Sig p938 7 + 1 9mm Because I carry it it's not left at home
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I suggest you take up 'hang gliding'...it's a greater and longer lasting adrenaline rush and it'l keep you out of those neighborhoods you shouldn't be frequenting.
    But, if you ain't gonna change your ways...I dunnoh what to tell ya.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I have changed my ways, but still end up stepping in it! One night I had a group of about 20 high school kids, from a neighboring city, show up wanting to fight another high school kid from this town. No matter what, I couldn’t convince them they where at the wrong house! A pistol gripped shotgun managed to convince them it was time to leave.
    Another early morning I was woken by the sounds of someone doing dounuts in my front yard! Again, wrong address.
    Seriously, trouble just seeks me out!
    As for the Glocks, I put thousands of rounds through my 19, added the Houge handall, but nothing I did could improve my shooting that gun. Interestingly enough, my nephews have the same problem, they love the guns, just can’t shoot them.

Check out the S&W compact 2.0 line. They come in 9mm, .40, and .45ACP. Nice handling and shooting guns. My .45Compact holds eight rounds, but they are BIG rounds. 9mm is 15,and the .40 is 12, as I recall. Same size as the Glock 19, but light years ahead of them as far as ergonomics.

Sounds like you might be better off hiring a squad of Marines, though.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    It is going to have to be your decision, regardless of any others opinion since no one has the same situation as you do. If I were to offer one opinion I will only say that whatever "handgun" you decide upon to carry, get as accurate as can with it.

By "accurate, I mean , if ya can, be able to quickly draw it & hit a target the size of a snack plate( not a reg. paper plate) at 15 yds consistently. If you can do that, you will have the confidence of knowing your abilities at that range or less. You will also be likely to hit a regular paper plate consistently at 25 yds. That is "our" standards, everyone is different so YMMV dependent on your situation.
    BTW, that is what we do & use both a LCR 38Sp/357M now, & an old 38sp.Charter arms with a bobbed hammer that I picked up about 30 years ago , just for a carry when I was riding my HD thru not so friendly places like Greensboro NC at night. Both are snubbies, btw.

Another thing that "I' think is likely important is that the firearm that is chosen is one with fixed sights. This is only due to the KISS factor & that it is likely to not have a unintentional sight adjustment at the time where ya need the firearm the most.

Lastly, although I could add others perhaps, is that practice, practice, practice all parts of what you need to do "if" you are in a situation that requires ya to get that firearm out & use it. This will get muscle memory going, you will find out the negatives of what your equipment has & those sorts of things for when ya really need it. Even "dry firing" if not able to practice where ya can shoot is a good thing if the firearm is able. And lastly, if ya want, try setting your phone alarm for times when you are not busy with work or in 'inappropriate setting", at go thru your drill of drawing your carry firearm when the alarm goes off. This will allow you to practice your "system" at all sorts of times & is not much difference than competitive shooters using a timer for practice & competition. This will also help ya learn to do things automatically & the practice won't hurt. I am sure that you are able to discern or change the difference in your phone alarm so that you don't draw when you are receiving a phone or text. LOL

Anyway, G'Luck! in your decision(s). Hope I helped even a little bit, although, as I said, "everyone is different, so YMMV." I just mentioned "our way".
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Well the LCR is plenty accurate for me, I can hit beer cans at 15yds. That is something that I’ve though a lot about, other than the SCCY, none of the other guns will be available for me to shoot. As I’m poor, I’d have to get rid of the LCR to purchase another gun that I’ll have no idea how I’ll shoot with it.

Boolit Master
    I have a pocket holster for my lcp and it is a bear getting it out while seated. I carry it pretty much as a last resort as it doesnt print or require a heavy belt. I consider it more of a 'new york reload' and usually carry something larger on my hip.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I've taken quite a bit of training and that training has given me some 'reality check's' concerning using a firearm for self defense. What you carry is not as important as your familiarity with and ability to shoot what you carry. Can you shoot accurately 'on the move', looking for cover? Can you shoot running backwards? It's hard to do btw. Nobody is gonna stand still while you stand still and take the time to 'aim' your firearm. God forbid you get into some kind of firefight, but it you do, you'll be diving for cover. What's your familiarity with the law concerning self defense? I carried for years with a lot of ignorance. About half of any training for self defense shooting takes place in a classroom, going over the laws and when you can use lethal force, and when you can't. Know the law, or you'll wind up in jail. Lastly, these days I just don't go into places where I can't keep track of what's going on around me. Shopping malls are off the list, don't go there. I place far more value on keeping myself out of dangerous places, than I do debating what gun to carry. That said, I have a couple of favorites, my Ruger SP101 and an XD40 are my most carried guns. I shoot both a lot and am very familiar with them. What I carry depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. I spend a lot of time in remote places. Those places I carry a large revolver or a rifle/shotgun. Again, what I carry depends on exactly what I'm doing. Get proper training and practice realistic self defense scenarios. Practice that a lot. Stay safe.

JJ

I am going with an AK pistol in a shoulder rig

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sawinredneck, if you can hit cans at 15 yards with the LCR then I would stick with that. Most people would have trouble hitting a can at 5 yards with a snub, much more 15. Don't sell a gun that you like and works well for you. If you want another gun to go with it, I would just save pocket change until you have enough for what you want. I'm completely serious on that last point, this is how I purchased a new Browning Hi-Power last year for a bit over a grand.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I heard a rumor that a Kimber Solo carries like a dream and shoots even better. Comes with 6 round mag and you can get 8 round extended mags too. If you want something a bit more robust a CZ P07 has a very nice trigger and a 15 round mag. Also of note, is the Winchester Ranger 127gr 9mm +p+ you basically get low end .357 magnum velocity out of a 4" barrel - just things to consider.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jeff100 View Post
    I've taken quite a bit of training and that training has given me some 'reality check's' concerning using a firearm for self defense. What you carry is not as important as your familiarity with and ability to shoot what you carry. Can you shoot accurately 'on the move', looking for cover? Can you shoot running backwards? It's hard to do btw. Nobody is gonna stand still while you stand still and take the time to 'aim' your firearm. God forbid you get into some kind of firefight, but it you do, you'll be diving for cover. What's your familiarity with the law concerning self defense? I carried for years with a lot of ignorance. About half of any training for self defense shooting takes place in a classroom, going over the laws and when you can use lethal force, and when you can't. Know the law, or you'll wind up in jail. Lastly, these days I just don't go into places where I can't keep track of what's going on around me. Shopping malls are off the list, don't go there. I place far more value on keeping myself out of dangerous places, than I do debating what gun to carry. That said, I have a couple of favorites, my Ruger SP101 and an XD40 are my most carried guns. I shoot both a lot and am very familiar with them. What I carry depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. I spend a lot of time in remote places. Those places I carry a large revolver or a rifle/shotgun. Again, what I carry depends on exactly what I'm doing. Get proper training and practice realistic self defense scenarios. Practice that a lot. Stay safe.

JJ
    Excellent and well thought out reply, thank you very much for the effort you put into it!
    “Moving and shooting”. Well, I guess we need to just cover the “moving” part, I don’t “move” well, ever! As a matter of fact, as I’m typing this I’ve had five “Norco’s” and a Flexoril, never mind the whiskey. I’ve got the stereo cranked to around 102db and I’m finally getting my spasms under control, somewhat. Had one the other night hit so hard it threw me out of bed lol! That’s a great way to wake up btw.
    I’m rambling, sorry. I DON’T move well! I broke my back 7 1/2yrs ago, I’m in and out of a wheelchair and I’ll never be able to run again. It’s all mainly nerve damage so not much they can do and even PT said I’ll never be right again.
    So let’s change “run” to a brisk walk in this situation.
    Laws, I’m in KS, we have castle law, and you CAN shoot thieves! We are “asked” to avoid the confrontation as best we can, but KS is an open carry and concealed carry state, no license requirements as long as you aren’t supposed to have a gun, you can legally carry it any way you please and are welcome to protect you and you’re family while outside the home.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarus1 View Post
    I am going with an AK pistol in a shoulder rig
    I’m liking the idea of the (God, never did I think I’d be saying this!) the supposedly soon to be released (don’t you laugh!) Hi-Point 10mm carbine. From pics, but nothing more, I think it could be shortened up quite a bit! Not that I’d do, or advise someone else, to do anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Sawinredneck, if you can hit cans at 15 yards with the LCR then I would stick with that. Most people would have trouble hitting a can at 5 yards with a snub, much more 15. Don't sell a gun that you like and works well for you. If you want another gun to go with it, I would just save pocket change until you have enough for what you want. I'm completely serious on that last point, this is how I purchased a new Browning Hi-Power last year for a bit over a grand.
    I know you are, and believe me, my wife and Dr’s have wanted to kill me for many of the things I’ve done to make money to get what I wanted! Unfortunately, my wife is tired of sleeping on the sofa, I tend to scream in pain while I sleep for a couple of days after over doing it.
    Like I say, I can see the SCCY coming home pretty easily. But much over that price point, I really want to shoot it! The LCR, well, let’s be honest, it shoots like an improved “J” frame and if you carry a gun, you’ve shot a J frame!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast