Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange powder measure

Banned
    Pressman convinced me to save it. He said "I just need more reloading tools, I have 50 Lyman 55's in my collection".

It looks as if it will clean up OK, just take time and patience. When Leisure Products bought Lyman they changed the tool colors to grey from Orange. After Lyman was able to regain its independence the color changed back to the traditional orange.

I've completely disassembled it and soaked it in Evapo-Rust, rinsed and scrubbed with aq soft nylon brush. Some of the paint came off It is now rust free in in the oven @ 150° for 30 min to completely dry.
    The metering assembly is on my bench waiting to get the rouch edges smoothed with 1200 grit paper and diamond hone

Is the knob on the handle supposed to turn?

Where is the best place to get a larger reservoir tube? adorama has them for "$12.00 shipped

1 forum said "McMaster-Carr sells polycarbonate tubing of the correct diameter. You can warm up the powder measure die body with a heat gun and self-thread the new hopper into place."

But mine isn't threaded, it has a groove that snaps in. I won't say how long I tried to un-thread it
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-12-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Banned
    No, the knob does not turn. Good job getting the tuber off, how did you do it?
    Adorama sells tubing? Didn't know that, I am usually too busy looking at lens and related items.
    Ken

Banned
    To remove the reservoir tube, I wrapped the body with leather and clamped it in a vise, grabbed the reservoir tube with rubber gloves' I twisted and twisted and twisted, it spun freely but didn't unscrew.
    I wiggled it back and forth then it popped out. there is a round grove near the end.
    I removed the reservoir tube to facilitate cleaning.

The body went straight from rinsing and towel drying to my oven @ 150 for 30 min to dry out. when it came out there was new rust.
    What do I do with that? can't oil the inside of a powder measure, can you?

Also, the casting was extremely rough below the Metering Cylinder Assembly. Is this going to be a problem?
    I spent some time filing it but didn't make much headway.

I almost think I need to de-rust the body again

Banned
    There is good news for you. I will still let you ship the powder measure to me.

Boolit Master
    Lyman has a 7000 grain reservoir on their parts website.They are the snap in type.I bought one once,set it up in a lathe and converted t to the threaded type.Try a dry spray lube or powdered graphite on the internal areas that are rusting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    There is good news for you. I will still let you ship the powder measure to me.
    I'll PM you a picture, will that work?

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    Try a dry spray lube or powdered graphite on the internal areas that are rusting.
    Thanks for reminding me, I have some spray graphite I'll try.
    I think I'll de-rust it 1 more time, dry it in the oven, tape off the Metering Cylinder cavity and spray it wiith graphite
    after I decide what I'm doing about the rough interior

the casting is extremely rough below the Metering Cylinder Assembly. Is this normal? Is this going to be a problem?
    Is this why they come with a knocker?
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-12-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    The area below the metering cylinder is as cast on all of the 55's.It doesn't cause a problem.The knocker was probably simply there to settle stick powders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12