RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving menus

Moderator Emeritus

Thanksgiving menus

Yup that time of year again!

My plans so far are roast turkey(picked up today, 20 pounds), homemade stuffing(bread cubes, eggs, homemade smoked turkey stock and shredded meat, sage, poultry seasoning, S&P, onion, celery), sweet potatoes in caramel sauce with marshmallows browned on top, wild rice stuffing made in a separate pan for my 2 gluten sensitive guests, mashed potatoes, gravy, 7 layer salad... and the obligatory pumpkin pie with lots of whipped cream!

I have 2 packs of turkey wings, some legs, and half a turkey going on the smoker to make stock and shredded meat for the stuffing. I will peel the breast meat off for sandwiches then shred the rest and vac bag until thanksgiving. Then make smoked turkey stock for the stuffing and gravy from the bones...

Moderator Emeritus

Turkey and dressing both in and out of the bird, we like a 15-18 lb bird. Sweet potatoes baked then mashed with butter, mashed with gravy, peas with pearl onions, green jello salad with pineapple and cottage cheese [it has been on our families table long before my 63 years], wheat rolls, orange flavored rolls, pumpkin pie, apple pie and I am hoping for key lime or lemon meringue.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I always put a 10 to 12 lb. brined turkey and a goose on the smoker (a little hickory and a lot of cherry wood). Smoked birds should never be stuffed. We usually buy our stuffing from a smallish upscale local market. Mrs. smokeywolf bakes the rolls, does the mashed potatoes, candied yams and veggies. Costco does the pumpkin pie.

I save, strain and can the goose grease for frying and sauteing.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

I'm thinking smoked turkey, french fries from Yukon gold potatos, pan seared then broiled back strap from one of the deer, butter milk biscuits, and some Pecan pie.
    the rest is just stuff.

Vendor Sponsor

I looked for a turducken yesterday in the store but they only had turducken breast. We made pheasant the last few years, turducken rocks! Always make cornbread stuffing with oysters, and pecans give it a nice crunch but this year I got some wild shellbark hickory nuts and cracked them out, man talk about tough! I had to use my bench vise to crack them! Anyway if you leave them a few days the nutmeats shrink and they will come out of the shells easier. So they say, we will soon find out!

Of course there is the rest of the fixings including gf's bourbon chocolate pecan pie, and if I have enough hickory nuts picked out? We will have a bourbon chocolate hickory nut pie!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    Plan on Turkey cooked in the electric roasting pan probably 24-26lb Turkey. Stuffing home made by me. A raspberry/cranberry jello salad . Home made rolls, sweet potatoes with brown sugar. Two pumpkin pies, a chocolate pie, a coconut cream pie all home made. Potatoes with gravy. A home made grated cabbage salad with a cooked vinegar/sugar dressing. I'm sure there is more but I can't remember right now.

Boolit Grand Master

LOML usually manages the menu. Already have a turkey in the freezer, so I know I'll be smoking that, probably making an apple pie and possibly a pumpkin pie.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Oven roasted Turkey, smoked Turkey Breast, Ham, Chicken & Dressing (no stuffing here) plus about 16 sides (my son counted last year) and however many Deserts our guests bring plus the fresh Coconut Cake my lovely wife will bake. We will have around 28 to feed in our small house on the Saturday after the real Turkey Day. A feast at lunch then the Alabama vs Auburn game afterwards.

Roll Tide y'all!
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

We're heading to Pensacola to cook for our Sailor who's there at A School, and any of his buddies he can round up who might not have family in the area, or able to visit. So far...I think we have 4-5 planning to come. We've rented a beach house....and plan to cook according to how many end up planning to eat with us. At the very least....a couple of smoked pork butts, couple of roasted turkey breasts, 'cat head' rolls, green beans, taters and gravy, dressing....and I'm sure the fairer half will whip up some pies, etc.... Can't wait to see my boy!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I figure baloney sandwich and soup kids not coming so wife will not cook dinner.
    you all are making me hungry.

Boolit Master
    Still got a leftover turkey from last year in the freezer so I'll defrost that for thanksgiving and fry it up cajun style. No idea on sides yet, but probably the standard cranberries, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. Will be a small gathering for us so probably a ton of leftovers . If I were to smoke another turkey it'd spatchcock it and brine over night. I'll inject mine with tony's cachers butter seasoning and fire up the turkey fryer for something other than lead .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Oven roasted turkey with stuffing, noodles, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn and however many other side dished my wife decides to make.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I always put a 10 to 12 lb. brined turkey and a goose on the smoker (a little hickory and a lot of cherry wood). Smoked birds should never be stuffed. We usually buy our stuffing from a smallish upscale local market. Mrs. smokeywolf bakes the rolls, does the mashed potatoes, candied yams and veggies. Costco does the pumpkin pie.

I save, strain and can the goose grease for frying and sauteing.
    Never smoked a turkey with cherry wood. Always use the same ratio as you but with apple/hickory. What flavor profile does cherry wood give. I think I am going to try cherry this year for the turkey.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    If it were in the past there would be a smoked turkey , mashed potatoes , sweet potatoes (lot of cinnamon), pea salad , homemade rolls , corn on the cob , cornbread dressing with giblet gravy , collard greens ,cornbread and one new wildcard item . Desert would be pumpkin and pecan pie with cool whip . Time tested for my bunch .

This is a great thread , we all always look forward to the holidays with friends and family .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

I am just having a few friends over. Maybe 7 people total. 20 pound turkey to over roast and I send leftovers home with everyone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    Never smoked a turkey with cherry wood. Always use the same ratio as you but with apple/hickory. What flavor profile does cherry wood give. I think I am going to try cherry this year for the turkey.
    For many moons, I used apple wood to smoke all pork, cherry for all poultry. Have, over the last year, come to the conclusion that both pork and fowl tastes better with a little hickory and the rest cherry wood. I use hardwood lump charcoal mostly just to do the initial heat up and sanitize of the smoker.
    Beef is almost always smoked with red oak.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I prefer hickory on fowl... just tastes better to me. Careful with cherry, it can make your food look like a lump of coal pretty easy!

Boolit Master
    Deep frying a 12 pound bird with all the fixins
    East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I prefer hickory on fowl... just tastes better to me. Careful with cherry, it can make your food look like a lump of coal pretty easy!
    Would you care to explain so I don't site a lump of coal on the Thanksgiving dinner table.

Boolit Master
    I'll probably go to Denny's this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast