Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving menus

We have a "new" lady member of the family that has invited everyone to "her first Thanksgiving turkey dinner"...do you think we should tell her about the plastic baggie of innards packed in the turkey or just let her find out the way most folks do.....after it's been in the oven all afternoon??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    Would you care to explain so I don't site a lump of coal on the Thanksgiving dinner table.
    Even when making sure that you're not producing too much smoke with a "dirty fire", cherry wood yields a more blackened appearance to the meat.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

To much cherry wood smoke and you go from a deep rich red color to looking black...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    Would you care to explain so I don't site a lump of coal on the Thanksgiving dinner table.

Thanks for the advice Smokeywolf and Mary B. Maybe I will drop my ratio down to a 50/50 mix of cherry and hickory for the first time using cherry.
    For the rest of the dinner we will be having dressing, mashed potatoes with gravy made from the gizzard, heart and neck juice juices when you make broth. Some type of veggie and that will be it. Just my wife and myself anymore so it will be small and I will be eating smoked turkey for a week.
    And I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Moderator Emeritus

I would go 25% cherry/75% hickory myself... it is one of the woods where a light touch is way better than to much. And poultry skin seems to soak up smoke faster than say a pork butt or ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I would go 25% cherry/75% hickory myself... it is one of the woods where a light touch is way better than to much. And poultry skin seems to soak up smoke faster than say a pork butt or ribs.
    Thanks Mary. I will try that for the first time.

Boolit Grand Master

Turkey with Mama's recipe bread stuffing. Butternut squash, mashed potatoes, peas, home made apple and pumpkin pies with real whipped cream and an excellent sharp cheese.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

just took two pumpkin pies and a pecan tart out of the oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	208226
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

My wife is always VIOLENTLY opposed to anything "non-traditional" for Thanksgiving, so that means turkey, mashed taters, dressing (baked and stuffed), corn, green bean casserole, rolls and pies. Any suggested variations are met with a samurai-like defense.

Although she did ask me to deep-fry the bird this year, so she didn't have to deal with roasting it. But nothing is allowed to be injected into it except butter.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    just took two pumpkin pies and a pecan tart out of the oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	208226
    Thank you sir ! Enjoyed those pictures !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

Moved Thanksgiving to Saturday, my neighbor and her aunt are going to MPLS to visit my neighbors sick sister(hurt her neck at work when she was attacked by a student at the school she teaches at). Work comp is fighting to not pay anything, she is in massive pain... MRI shows a ruptured disc in her neck compressing nerves. I told her she has to put her foot down and go see her doc then let her medical insurance duke it out with work comp.

Boolit Master
    Two batches of brine cooling. House smells wonderful.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Grand Master

Bird and stuffing prepared. Into the oven at 11:00, then the big wait to start the sides.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Goin' to Cracker Barrel. Heck, we'd better go get in line now!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    We have a "new" lady member of the family that has invited everyone to "her first Thanksgiving turkey dinner"...do you think we should tell her about the plastic baggie of innards packed in the turkey or just let her find out the way most folks do.....after it's been in the oven all afternoon??
    It just adds more flavor, and the look of surprise on her part will be well worth it. Let it ride.... ........
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    It just adds more flavor, and the look of surprise on her part will be well worth it. Let it ride.... ........
    No way! Make sure she knows so they make it to the gravy!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I always put a 10 to 12 lb. brined turkey and a goose on the smoker (a little hickory and a lot of cherry wood). Smoked birds should never be stuffed. We usually buy our stuffing from a smallish upscale local market. Mrs. smokeywolf bakes the rolls, does the mashed potatoes, candied yams and veggies. Costco does the pumpkin pie.

I save, strain and can the goose grease for frying and sauteing.
    Made some changes to the menu and had to work around an unforeseen. Mrs. smokeywolf said to save the goose for Christmas. She wants two turkeys for TG day. Also, wants me to make my old dressing recipe instead of buying the small batch custom stuff we usually buy. had to postpone everything (including sleep) while I spent 12 hours last night, trying to pass a kidney stone. Got her done this morning about 0530. **** kidney stones.

Dressing was finished about 1000 this AM. Two brined and injected turkeys on the smoker by 1130 hrs.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Will be having turkey an stuffing, roasted deer leg ,taters, corn, homemade pumpkin pie, an shoo fly pie

Boolit Master
    Elk tenderloin with French fries.

Charcoal grilled backstrap, stuffing, home canned sweet corn, salad, and carrot cake.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast