RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Powley computer--any one using the on-line versions?

Powley computer--any one using the on-line versions?

I am trying to come up with cast boolit reduced loads for a number of obsolete British sporting rounds. Has anyone used the on-line Powley computers with any success?

I did a search and most references on the forum to the Powley is pretty well aged, looks like either it has fallen out of favor or people are unaware of it's existence.

Is it good, bad or indifferent?

http://kwk.us/powley.html

Boolit Grand Master

You will find most using Quickload. You have to pay for it but is well worth it if you go off book.

Boolit Master

I have one of the old ones that is made of cardboard and works like a slide rule. At that time, I sure was very happy with it. I used it for a good many cartridges, but was very impressed with it and the 7-30 Waters. That cartridge was basically a wildcat at that time and data was very limited. It gave me good data but operating it was tedious and I doubt I could today with my older eyes—actually only one now! I also had the other slide rule type that calculated pressures—Oh well, days gone by but I still get it out of the envelop and mess with it from time to time—but not very often...

To answer your question, I have never used the online Powley, but I did look at it just now. It looks like it does the same as the slide rule early model, but a heck of a lot easier…

I have to agree with the QL program now. That is what I now use and it has worked well for me…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master

I have used both versions. It is useful only for certain powders, but works well for them.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I have used both versions. It is useful only for certain powders, but works well for them.
    I think it was originally designed for IMR powders...

Good-luck...BCB

Thumbs up

What BCB said!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yes, the Powley powder charges are based on IMR powders - but there are many burn rate and comparison tables to determine comparable powders. Further, manually enter the bullet data for your metrics in inches - then do the IMR powder conversions and you'll have good starting information. The key in the calculations is NOT to exceed the calculated pressure
    Been using both Powley's (the other one for twist factors) - then do the trajectory tables ... no complaints
    Regards
    John

Thumbs up

"The key in the calculations is NOT to exceed the calculated pressure."

Exactly right, John Boy!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Yes, the Powley powder charges are based on IMR powders - but there are many burn rate and comparison tables to determine comparable powders. Further, manually enter the bullet data for your metrics in inches - then do the IMR powder conversions and you'll have good starting information. The key in the calculations is NOT to exceed the calculated pressure
    Been using both Powley's (the other one for twist factors) - then do the trajectory tables ... no complaints
    Yep, I started using it many years ago also with good results, in that, I didn't have problems with pressures as I went very conservative on powder charges...

There was a paper with mine that listed powders of similar burn rates for the IMR ones. I'll attempt to attach a copy of it. The powders listed are pretty well outdated! Although, some still exist. But, I am pretty sure the burn rate on many have changed...RIFLE POWDER SELECTION.pdf