Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 99 Dilemma

Savage 99 Dilemma

Gents, walked into the LGS and saw a takedown model 99 savage chambered in 30-30. It immediately piqued my interest as I love these old guns. The rifle sports a lyman tang sight and rotary magazine with counter window in the receiver. The wood is in quite nice shape the metal on the other hand has most of the bluing gone. The rifle was made in 1930. I've always wanted a savage 99 and the fact that I found one in 30-30 (a more common and less expensive round than 300 savage) has me definitely wanting to go back and get it. But the $650 price tag is holding back. What are these old workhorses going for these days?
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Forgot to mention the bore is in EXCELLENT shape. Makes me believe it was carried through the woods of Maine a lot and shot very little

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    Gents, walked into the LGS and saw a takedown model 99 savage chambered in 30-30. It immediately piqued my interest as I love these old guns. The rifle sports a lyman tang sight and rotary magazine with counter window in the receiver. The wood is in quite nice shape the metal on the other hand has most of the bluing gone. The rifle was made in 1930. I've always wanted a savage 99 and the fact that I found one in 30-30 (a more common and less expensive round than 300 savage) has me definitely wanting to go back and get it. But the $650 price tag is holding back. What are these old workhorses going for these days?
    In this area,(New Mexico), it would bring that price easily, with a good bore, and in 30-30 which is much sought after.

Boolit Master

yup all day about anywhere with that bore see if you can get it for $100 less

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Owner won't budge on price

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a rarity with significant collector value and like all the Savage lever actions a masterpiece of design. You have to ask yourself what they'd ask for a brand new rifle like this if manufactured in todays world. Far more than the price asked for this one I expect.

Banned

A good number of years ago a friend of mine picked one up in a pawn shop at a steal! Tapered octagon barrel, very early rifle, rotary magazine with the window counter, German silver blade front sight, and it was in mint condition. Only one thing wrong with it, it was in the 303 Savage caliber. I tried years later to buy it off him and no deal. I believe it's gone now as he was hurting for money. We've moved to different states since then.

Boolit Grand Master

Check completed auctions on GunBroker to see what they're going for. Beat up ones around here are $500. To step into a gently used one you're talking $800 and up. Those are just general numbers. Different models have different values.

A 99 in 30-30 is one I don't have. Don't have any takedowns either. There are potential accuracy issues w/ them which is why I've never bought one. For $650 I probably would have brought it home. They aren't being made anymore and their value will continue to increase w/ time.

Banned

Why was the .303 caliber a problem? It's a great round and loads like a .30-30. Brass is available pretty readily now.

I love 99s and would probably have scrounged the money somehow for that one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Why was the .303 caliber a problem? It's a great round and loads like a .30-30. Brass is available pretty readily now.

I love 99s and would probably have scrounged the money somehow for that one.
    Brass for it back then was. I've heard you can take 30-30 brass and cut a sleeve ring from a 40 S&W and it slides down the 30-30 snug like and when you fireform it, it gets kind of riveted into the 30-30 case. The case in front of it swells out flush with it and it's anchored there for good. You can resize it as a normal case in your 303 dies.

Anyone else ever hear of this procedure?

Banned

I've heard of it. I like my .303. Bought some brass for it when I got it and wasn't too hard to find. I think it can be made from .34-40 Krag brass too.

Boolit Master

richhodg66
    we all know what you meant to write but you may want to edit your post anyway

If you are interested in a 99 in 30-30 they are quite common if you search many online auction sites and I see them go for under $ 500 in the condition you described.

Jedman

Sounds very fair around here.

Does it have any extra holes- like for scope mounts, sling swivels, or recoil pad? These would drop value to many buyers, esp. collectors.
    I had an EG model, made in 1950 in .300 Savage. It was a very accurate shooter and had such a smooth action. Eventually my old eyes got to the point I could not use the original sights. Since it was completely original and unmolested there was no way I would have it drilled for scope mounts. I very reluctantly sold it. It is one of the few rifles I have sold I miss being able to shoot. When it came time to sell it, being in the common .300 Savage made it less interesting to many would-be buyers. At least in my area people were looking for .250-3000.
    As others have said, they definitely do not make these anymore. In the long haul, prices will only go up, esp. for examples in original, unmodified condition.

Moderator Emeritus

Look it over well to find out why it is underpriced.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

99's seem to vary a lot from region to region. We rarely even see them here in Indiana, but prices are all over the place. I Sold a 1950 model in .300 Savage for $475 recently, so to me $650 for an earlier take-down in a hard-to-find caliber seems fair enough. The condition of the bluing is the only thing that may put me off.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lyman sight adds value to the rifle. I have its twin (Lyman sight and all) and it is a great shooter. The price sounds fair to me go grab it.

Boolit Grand Master
    650 seems pretty reasonable to me. The sight alone runs about 100 bucks, assuming it is of the same vintage as the Rifle. Here in my neck of the woods, a decent shooter starts at 700, unless it is one of the clip fed jobs. If you really want it, go for it. You'll get your money back in five or ten years.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    seems no one liked mine at 700 so good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast