Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: 30-30

Boolit Mold

30-30

i am going to be reloading 30-30 150 grain #2 alloy gas check and sized but my question is why do my cases crush i do all the steps proper i think and i make sure to bell the case mouths but when i go to seat the bullit the case crushed with my rcbs rockchucker press also i am sizing with a lee sizer , what am i doing wrong ?

Boolit Master

I use the Lee dies aswell for 30-30. I do make sure the case is centered, i have crushed a few while sizing or belling. The bell is good enough if i can sit the bullet in the case neck and it sits there nice and centered. Too much case lube can also crush the sides. Do you have a picture of the crushed case? I cant imagine youre crushing the case with the bullet. What neck expander are you using?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    It’s possible to bell the case neck and still crush the case if the neck is sized too small and the expander doesn’t open it up enough. Not likely, but you need to expane the neck enough to allow the checked boolit to sit with the gas check in the neck very slightly. If you are doing this then something is out of adjustment. Back the seating stem out until the boolit is barely pushed further into the case neck and adjust down in small increments
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

In Remembrance

When I first started loading for the .30-30 I also got crushed cases. The 2 things that I did that almost stopped the case crush was to trim the brass to correct length and the mentioned mouth belling to hold the bullet.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I had this happen when I was using too much sizing lube on the case shoulder. It would cause the shoulder to crush inward.

Seat only in first step, crimp in a second step. Adjust the seating die UP so it doesn't crimp, then move it back down to crimp or get the Lee FCD. Sizing plug (expander plug) may be too small dia. also.
    Whatever!

Sounds like you may be heavy on crimp.

Are you using an M die? It sounds like the case may not be expanded large enough...

Boolit Master
    What boolit and diameter are you using?

Where is the damage taking place, crushed case mouth or collapsing shoulder, or both?

When you say Lee sizer, is it a collet neck sizing die or a conventional full length sizing die?

Is the neck expander button expanding the case neck to the correct inside diameter, should be .306-.307? If the wrong button diameter (too small) was mistakenly put in the die, the neck may be left too small to accommodate the cast boolit. Belling the case mouth is good, but if the neck ID is too small, it's a no-go. (I once had a set of conventional dies which were mis-marked and sized the neck to approximately 7mm/.284 ID. Total show-stopper. Sent them back.)

Look over the questions and let us know the situation. Folks will be glad to help.

I once had an 8mm boolit mixed in with my .30's and crumpled a case that way, stretched the snot out of the neck and collapsed the shoulder, but that was my mistake.

Boolit Master

Your description of the problem is to general. Picture please, so we can see what has actually happened. Then we can offer informed suggestions.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

The FCD makes case length less important. I've been loading the double thirty forever and I quit messing up cases the day I bought that Lee die. But that might not be your problem.

Boolit Mold
    thank you all for your input but i have solved the problem , my bullet sizing had gunk and wasnt sizing properly and that was the problem