Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gee, that was interesting

Gee, that was interesting

Making a new Lee pot of isocore today and dumped in ~4# of dross from previous sessions. You know, the crumbly junk that won't go back in. C.S. on top of it, remove the powder and WOW, clean alloy, no dross, just powder! Don't ask me what it does, I'm no chemist but it did work. I used NO sawdust or other 'flux'. I did use some beeswax after it get 'cleaned'.
    edit: I use CuSo4 (C.S.)to add Cu to my alloys. Just dump on top and stir in (carefully, H2O is a byproduct).
    Last edited by popper; 11-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What? C.S. on top of it
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

copper sulfate, CuSo4
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Oh, so you all want to talk chemicals huh? Okay take this

He's boron, just astatine. They think we ought to rhenium out of town, but the last time they tried to get iridium, he threw a big tantalum. The only way to dysprosium would be to cesium, get europium, take him to the gallium and strontium up, and then barium and plant a germanium.
    He was once a lutetium on an erbium police force. He could shoot well with a .357 magnesium, and broke up a big arsenic ring and even caught a cerium killer. He's divorced now and pays a lot of antimony to his "ex", Fluorine, and it's a big scandium.
    You've got to feel sulfur him because he was once a beryllium singer, and had the club circuit sodium up because he had won a cadmium award. I know, because I've selenium. The girls would francium and want samarium. Many would run up and rubidium or holmium, and some even tried to make a radon his dressing room. A copper always lead him offstage so fans wouldn't ytterbium.
    But now his voice argon, and he's lost his technetium. When the lights aluminum and he starts to zinc, it's just hafnium and everybody lanthanum. He was once on top, in his xenon, but other performers potassium up years ago. Most men cobalt at his age, and so did he. He wears a terbium now to keep his head from getting gold. When he read my review, he said, "Uranium on my parade." I told him to switch careers again and try actinium. He says his manager has promethium a big contract but it's not fermium.
    At one time, every Americium new of him, but he's not even popular in Californium these days. He's not on the radium or tellurium anymore because no one will give tin cents or even a nickel to see him. He can't even get on the Lawrencium Welk show. They'd rather lithium to the Osmium brothers or an indium war cry, or go see the cowboys at the rhodium. Maybe a doctor can curium or some T.V. evangelist can helium, but most of 'em are full of polonium and have turned a nobelium ministry into big bismuth. Now that you are thorium confused, I'll quit.

Good one VZ!!

Banned
    You've removed zinc/tin and? from the dross and added/replaced it with some copper. Curious what that alloy XRF's at. If you've added copper to the lead how good/bad will it be for black powder mini's?

Note of caution, if you try this, make sure the copper sulfate, CuSo4 is completely dry before trying to flux/alloy it into the melt.

Like Popper, I save my dross and throw it in with the next smelt of range scrap or mixed lead, and thanks to Popper I've gone to fluxing all my smelts with CS instead of sulfer (which I only use when I'm fluxing pure)

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post

He's boron, just astatine. They think we ought to rhenium out of town, but the last time they tried to get iridium, he threw a big tantalum. The only way to dysprosium would be to cesium, get europium, take him to the gallium and strontium up, and then barium and plant a germanium.
    He was once a lutetium on an erbium police force. He could shoot well with a .357 magnesium, and broke up a big arsenic ring and even caught a cerium killer. He's divorced now and pays a lot of antimony to his "ex", Fluorine, and it's a big scandium.
    You've got to feel sulfur him because he was once a beryllium singer, and had the club circuit sodium up because he had won a cadmium award. I know, because I've selenium. The girls would francium and want samarium. Many would run up and rubidium or holmium, and some even tried to make a radon his dressing room. A copper always lead him offstage so fans wouldn't ytterbium.
    But now his voice argon, and he's lost his technetium. When the lights aluminum and he starts to zinc, it's just hafnium and everybody lanthanum. He was once on top, in his xenon, but other performers potassium up years ago. Most men cobalt at his age, and so did he. He wears a terbium now to keep his head from getting gold. When he read my review, he said, "Uranium on my parade." I told him to switch careers again and try actinium. He says his manager has promethium a big contract but it's not fermium.
    At one time, every Americium new of him, but he's not even popular in Californium these days. He's not on the radium or tellurium anymore because no one will give tin cents or even a nickel to see him. He can't even get on the Lawrencium Welk show. They'd rather lithium to the Osmium brothers or an indium war cry, or go see the cowboys at the rhodium. Maybe a doctor can curium or some T.V. evangelist can helium, but most of 'em are full of polonium and have turned a nobelium ministry into big bismuth. Now that you are thorium confused, I'll quit.
    Hmmm...what? This is a 'brain fart' right? . . . . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Actually the dross is isocore/Cu plus some pure/Cu/Zn from last batch. I just haven't seen the C.S. act as a flux before. Cu adds some hardness and malleability. It locks up real good with Sb and can make a really hard alloy.
    Whatever!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

Too funny, thanks a bunch. Made me laugh a good one, just what I needed today. lol

Boolit Master
    Vzerone your contribution is absolutely priceless!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

So any idea of what kind of quantity we are talking about?

I see it is for sale around several places. Low end was evilbay at 10$ a lb. Higher was Amazon at 1$ per oz. But I am guessing you would not need many ounces.

Anyway say I had a 50 lb batch of half COWW and half range scrap with 4-5 lbs of scrapings off the pot. How much would you use? I don't want it too hard. A little extra hardness from the CU would be fine. Tougher would be good.

Any info to give a guy a place to start would help.

Banned

root killer at the home depot, Lowe's, or Menards.
    a spoon full on top of the pot is enough.
    but you need to trade the copper in to get the zinc out.
    which means you need to put some zinc in.

Banned

Well I'm glad that little funny was a big hit!!

Boolit Master

Well I'm glad that little funny was a big hit!!
    Used to work with a group of physicists. The kind of humor they had.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    root killer at the home depot, Lowe's, or Menards.
    a spoon full on top of the pot is enough.
    but you need to trade the copper in to get the zinc out.
    which means you need to put some zinc in.
    I use Zepps root killer for mine and get the zinc from pennies.
    Charter Member #148

that was absolute torture to try to read all the way through, being someone who has A.D.D./ A.D.H.D. pretty bad! very creative though..... I think whoever wrote that has too much time on their hands! lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Used to work with a group of physicists. The kind of humor they had.
    here's one for physicists ....

if you had a stadium full of physicists ...and they started doing the wave...would any one of them see the particle?

Banned

A neutron walked into a bar and asked, "How much for a gin and tonic?" The bartender smiled wryly and replied, "For you, no charge."

Here I thought C S was Crusty Sh..
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((Ί>`•.ΈΈ.•΄―`•...Έ><((((Ί>`• .ΈΈ.•΄―[_____]””””””

I've worked with a lot of physicists and none had any sense of humor. Medical researchers are about the same. Well, I did get a grin from one once. When he told me my stepper motors wouldn't cut off pressure from the peristaltic pump - I reminded him of the kickoff meeting we had on the project where I told him it wouldn't work. They don't have much memory either. Size does matter.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast