WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Powder coating and powder charge

Boolit Buddy

Powder coating and powder charge

Been playing with this for a short time. Shake and bake. Seems to be working. Question i have is i had to bring my powder charge up abit to get the accuracy i got with just lead. Was using 3.6 bullseye. Now i find with the PC i have to go to 3.8 to get the accuracy i was getting. No noticeable increase in recoil just better accuracy. Is this normal.

Boolit Buddy
    I found the same issue in rifle. I have come to conclusion that there is less back pressure generate with the slick PC so pressure curve--ie burn rate is effected. Don't know if this is right but I added crimping which helped some.

Boolit Master

interesting info
    I didn't adjust my powder loads when I went to PC but I'm shooting at cowboy targets which are close and large.

in SASS we measure things in moment of cow
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I used the same loads I was using with A-Lox lube. I didn't notice any difference but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't any.

The biggest difference I noticed was in alloy hardness. I used to have to adjust my alloy hardness depending on what I was loading. Soft for 38spl and 45acp harder for 9mm (15BHN) and other higher pressure loading.

With the PC I'm using 12BHN for everything. I'm shooting a 440gr un-checked from my 500 S&W using 27.5gr Lil-gun and it works great. I don't even get bottom edge cutting which without PC painted my muzzle brake with lead.

Of course the bottoms are PCed because of shake and bake method.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    I found the same issue in rifle. I have come to conclusion that there is less back pressure generate with the slick PC so pressure curve--ie burn rate is effected. Don't know if this is right but I added crimping which helped some.
    That's kinda what i thought. This is for Beretta 92. Boolits sized to .3585 Going to run them over the chrony next time out.

Boolit Master
    Better accuracy? Yes. Add more powder to get the same velocity? Not really as I pretty much started PCing when I started casting handgun bullets and never pulled the Oehler out for handguns. I know they are screaming loads......

I do have a couple of lube sizers loaded with Carnuba Blue and have used it, but the PC bullets are so much cleaner. Either lubed or PC loads shoot great (Freedom Arms 83's) but the edge goes to PC with every bullet and load.