Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: pc using convection toaster oven

Boolit Buddy

pc using convection toaster oven

Getting ready to start pcing. Got a oven thermometer and put in center of oven. Seems i have to set oven dial at 280 degrees to get 400 degrees. Seems way off to me. Oven is a Delonghe

Yeah, pretty much like most others...hence the name, if ya don't watch it...whatever you put in them is going to be toast!

It'll do the job but keep your eye out for a convection oven, they heat more evenly because they circulate the heat with a fan.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    This is a convection. I set dial on bake toast. Maybe i should have used the bake/ fan mode. Just tried the bake/fan mode and still have to set the dial @ 280 To get 400 degrees . Guess that's not a problem as long as you know. This used to be my Moms so she was probably cooking at the wrong temps
    Last edited by krallstar; 11-07-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Took 3 trips to walmart to get one that is only off by 25*
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Your an old member here but since your new to the PC world...have you looked at this poll regarding PC techniques?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hp?326134-(2)-The-Devil-s-in-the-Details-gt-gt-gt-gt-gt-PC-Coatings-lt-lt-lt-lt-lt

It's easy to see what works by the numbers of members that do it the same way.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Good info. I read a lot before jumping in. Looking at that poll most of the most used methods are what i am planning on.

I bought a dbl rack, 12" conv pizza oven from Wally, $50. It holds temps well. The dial temps are rarely going to be accurate, why we check with oven therm. I set my dial @ 425F to get 400F.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

and things will generally change again when you cram 500 boolits in there.
    use the thermo when cooking, and also watch what it say's when the powder goes wet that will be another temp indicator.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    use the thermo when cooking, and also watch what it say's when the powder goes wet that will be another temp indicator.
    Good tip

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use a digital controlled and display convection by Oster. HUGE cavity and keeps the temp within 6F. Remember, convection ovens run 25F cooler than normal ovens. To get 400F, I set my digital oven to 425 and everything works out perfectly.

banger

Banned
    DeLonghi convection toaster ovens are supposed to be good ovens.

180° seems a lot even for countertop ovens. Due to their thermostat design and placement, they are bound to fail

You need to set the oven on convection bake if the temperature is still that far off I'd get/borrow a second oven thermometer (about $4). thermometers can be off also (lyman lead thermometers have a terrible reputation for being way off)

If the second thermometer gives the same reading, if not set the oven @ 280°, check it a couple time to see if it maintains the temperature, if so you are good to go.

You could put a PID with a probe in the oven to control the temperature (if you do you will need to hook the fan up to it's own power source to keep it from burning out due to the PID's rapid/frequent temperature adjustments.

side note was your mom a big fan of medium rare food

+1 on the Oster ($20 good will ), mine can do 16 # at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post

This is a must.
    I have to add about three minutes to my cook time to allow for the heat lost when loading and the bullets acting like a heat sink.
    Only experimenting will tell what your particular oven needs.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    You can speed up the heat recovery time by lining the bottom of your oven with a heat remaining media. I use ceramic BBQ briquettes, others use firebrick, pieces of metal or ? anything to obsorb and hold the ovens heat to help get the oven back up to 400° faster.
    I can put 8# of PC'd boolits in a preheated oven and bake for 12 min gettig a complete cure, passing the tests and getting no leading (with proper size and hardness of boolit )

In Remembrance

I think mebbeso your oven dial is marked in Celcius degrees.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I use a digital controlled and display convection by Oster. HUGE cavity and keeps the temp within 6F. Remember, convection ovens run 25F cooler than normal ovens. To get 400F, I set my digital oven to 425 and everything works out perfectly.

banger
    bangerjim, Is this the one you have?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oster 001.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	207774

I bought it a while back with the thought of wiring it with a PID and a separate switch for the fan (already have the PID, SSR. K thermocouple, heat sink and enclosure ready to put together), then I did some searching and found your comments on the consistency of the digital controls and now I am wondering if I spent money unnecessarlly.
    I know I should learn by now to read the related posts before going off and buying things but sometimes I get an urge and go wild!!

Boolit Master

I also inherited a double wall oven that I could use if I can find the space. My Sister (who is richer than me ) remolded her kitchen and took that one out for a stainless one. It looks as good as new to me and works perfectly. I also have a couple 40 amp SSR's that I could use on that, along with the PID I bought. I was originally thinking of the larger ovens for do larger parts rather that just bullets.

Boolit Master
    The quality of toaster ovens vary considerably. Basically, get a good glass thermometer like the $10 Taylor Oven Guide and place it where it can be read through the glass door. Set you dial to what ever it takes to get to 400 degrees, some ovens won't get to 400, so they are worthless for powder coating. Let the oven run for a while, like an hour, to see if the temperature stabilizes and holds at 400. also see how long it take to get to 400. Open and close the door and see how well the temp recovers. I have seen ovens that will come to temp then wander 50 degrees or more in either direction, also worthless ovens.
    As far as oven brands the Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven is a quality oven for powder coating. I have two of them the oldest has been going since 2012. If you don't start out with a good oven you will just end up chasing your tail trying to get consistent results.

I have a very well used Hamilto Beach convection oven that I took the outside off and bent the temp switch so the contacts never came apart. That way left uncontrolled the oven would continually heat. I have a $12 PID I plug the oven into and let the PID do the temp control. Heats quick, remains at temp and recovers fairly quickly after the door has been opened. As long as the timer is ticking the PID can do it's job. Thermocouple is roughly placed in the center of the oven in the pan with the bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by krallstar View Post
    Getting ready to start pcing. Got a oven thermometer and put in center of oven. Seems i have to set oven dial at 280 degrees to get 400 degrees. Seems way off to me. Oven is a Delonghe
    I have the same issue with a Delonghe, it is surprising how far off it is, even in convection mode. I use a PID with that oven now. Lots of good info on this site to buy or build. I built mine.