MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning after black powder shooting

Boolit Master

I have shot at least 2 lever gun matches with my Marlin 1893 38-55 loaded with Black Powder for the last 10 years.
    At the end of the match, The last fired cartridge is left in the chamber.
    Using a muzzle protector I push a 2 to 3 water damp patches down past the case neck and back out the bore. Then a dry patch down to the neck of the case. and then back out.
    The fired cartridge is then ejected and dropped in the water filled jar with the other fired cases.
    The cleaning rod is then push the rod back down the bore, without the jag.
    Screw on a slotted jag with a damp patch to clean up any residual stuff in the chamber neck and pull it back out through the bore.
    Another slotted dry patch or two down the bore into the chamber, then an oiled patch down the bore and into the chamber.
    Wipe down the exterior with the last oiled patch and put the old girl in the case.
    About once a year I take apart the action and give it a good cleaning and oiling. It never seems to need much at all.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 04-14-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    When I shoot cap and ball the pistol is completely disassembled.

I drop all the parts in a small bucket of water with dish detergent. I run a bore brush down the barrel and each cylinder. For the cylinders I have a rod with a bend so I can rotate the brush as it enters the chamber. It is twisted in and out of the cylinder. All parts are cleaned in the soapy water with a toothbrush and pipe cleaners.

I then remove all the parts and spray liberally with WD40 to remove all water. Then the parts are wiped dry. Lube with oil (CLP for me) and reassemble.

ML rifle just the bore is cleaned with soapy water, WD40 and oil. Never had any rust issues.

FWIW, with CLP (Breakfree) it will work out some dirt/fouling over time so another swab in a few days will get some more crud out.

Tom of all the lever action rifles the Marlin is the easiest rifle to disassemble the action by just pulling the boss lever screw and pull the bolt and clean it from the breach.
    You can even use a bore guide if you want to keep all the water from a wet patch dripping down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Tom of all the lever action rifles the Marlin is the easiest rifle to disassemble the action by just pulling the boss lever screw and pull the bolt and clean it from the breach.
    You can even use a bore guide if you want to keep all the water from a wet patch dripping down.
    Absolutely.
    Co-incidentally did you know that there are over 60 parts on a typical Winchester '94?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Not so much now but, back when I started the going to the two day matches, we camped overnight in tents. I think it was the second match of the year that the boss lever screw decided to sprout legs and ran off into the tall grass. I don't know how it happened but it did. The next match is when I started the "Clean with a fired cartridge in the chamber" routine. Even though match accommodations have vastly improved since then, I still follow the same principle of "Leave the gun intact until you get home".
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

That would be a good way to clean a Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_Cat View Post
    What is the best way to clean pistols after black powder shooting? My uncle used to boil his pistols in hot water??
    How would you clean a 1873 rifle or a double shotgun?

Thanks Ed
    Ed, I used to just take the wood off of my pistol, remove barrel and cylinder and run it in the dishwasher. Brodie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12