Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: K6s 3” Sighting and SP101 4” Question

Boolit Master

K6s 3” Sighting and SP101 4” Question

Just got to handle one, with a smooth wooden grip. Better trigger than I felt on the 2” barrel.
    $900 price tag.

Also, to those that have the SP101” in 4”, do you carry it and how? Spotted on and rally want it but don’t know on carrying it OWB with the 4” barrel.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

I carry a sp 101 with a 3" barrel on and off I cant see how in extra inch of barrel would make it any harder anyway in the summer i use a Crossbreed holster
    in cooler weather OWB I wish that i had a 4" barrel so i could carry wile deer hunting in IL it would be easier then my BH with 4 5/8 barrel
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    I've only carried mine in an open carry thumb break similar to these that I made for mine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	207312
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

LuckyDawg13, I would think so too. When compared to the M60 Pro that was there, it seems very able to be carried on my frame.

Rintinglen, nice looking holsters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	207378
    Here's my 327 with the only holster I have for it so far. When I get some time, i want to make a pan cake for it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    Lefty Red - what's your intended use ?

As a long term fan of wheel guns I see the 4" (4.2" for our Canadian friends) SP101 as a modern kit gun. Decent sight radius, lighter weight, smallish frame, stainless.......the perfect woods gun in 38/357.

In an OWB holster it would excel as a "kit gun". For dedicated use as a SD weapon, particularly one carried concealed, I would opt for a 3" model in an OWB holster. As for your question about how the 4" SP101 carries in an OWB holster, I can't directly comment because I don't have a 4" SP101 (but I really like the concept). I will say that a 4" pencil barreled K-frame carries very well in an OWB holster so I would assume that the smaller framed 4" SP101 would be OK as well. You would be trading a heavier barrel for a smaller frame and I think it would be a wash in terms of ease of carry.

Just tossing in my $0.02 worth here:
    I see the breakdown in sizes and applications as follows-
    *Snubnose (1 7/8" - 2 1/4" ) DAO revolvers for SD, particularly well suited for pocket carry. The 2.25" models, particularly the SP101 are right on the edge of being suitable for pocket carry but still fine SD weapons. This class includes both the lightweight alloy frames and the steel frames.

The "Big" snubnose class that includes the 2" K-frames, Colt Detective Specials (including the lightweight Cobras and Agents), the SA/DA SP101's and maybe now the Kimber K6s and the new Cobra ( a bobbed hammer old model Colt Cobra might be in the small snubnose category for some).

*The 3" class DA revolver (which includes the 2.75" Speed-Six models) are OWB guns and very well suited to SD roles. These are great combat tools.

*The 4" class "Kit Guns" which include the small framed SP101 and the pencil barreled K-frames.

* The 4" class 38 Special duty guns which range from the heavy barreled S&W models 10, 64, 65, etc. to the Service-Six (which bridges the gap to the next class)

* The 4" class .357 mag duty guns that include the L-frame Smith's and the GP-100.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

I do believe the 3” is the best all around length for the SP, but none are had around here. Would have to order new.

The 4” 357 I was looking at is priced to move and I was just curious on how it carries. I think the length is about that of a full size G17/22 or Government Model and those are a tad too long and hits my hip bone. So an aggressive cant or cross draw would be fine.

I would be carrying it for CC, like the rest of my small framed revolvers. I have more than enough other barrel lengths, but the 4” SP always keep drawing me to it.

Lefty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	207378
    Here's my 327 with the only holster I have for it so far. When I get some time, i want to make a pan cake for it.
    I like the pancake style for the SPs. Looking at Triple Ks 570 model for it.

I like the Hogue grips you got, but I prefer the Com Pacs. Or the new ones the SP Match is being shipped with.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

ok i'll trade ya for the kimber my 3" Sp101 for that That is a good looking gun

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    ok i'll trade ya for the kimber my 3" Sp101 for that That is a good looking gun
    It’s a gorgeous weapon!
    Feels well balanced, and like I have said before, a great trigger!

I had the store owner out it back for ten days, so I can go sell blood and whatever to get the funds for it! LOL

Boolit Master

Drink a lot of orange juice

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Having owned both, I really like my 4" thin barrel S&W 10-5 for a woods carry gun. It weighs about the same as a 4.2" SP-101, actually less than most 6 shot .38 and .357 revolvers today. My 10-5 is blessed with a great trigger pull and excellent accuracy as well. Bought it for $200.00 out the door in 2004 and probably paid too much, but it's always been a faithful friend.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

...")
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Tpyo! ;)
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.