Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: I need a FAT 30 cal hunting Boolit!

Boolit Buddy

I need a FAT 30 cal hunting Boolit!

My current alloy is 1.8% Tin and 3% Ant. My current selection of molds will throw to .3105/.311 when air cooled. Never tried water droping. I would like to try the ww/pure lead at 50/50 but I'm sure they might not make even .310. How would I spec out a mold from Accurate to get the soft alloy to .311 plus and I'm assuming that same mold with my regular alloy might go .314 or so for some worn throat mil-surps and Mosins.
    Has anyone done this, and what were your findings.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Boolit Master

Call Tom, he is very helpful and can give you an honest answer

Banned
    Look into powder coating, I've found it to be the easiest way to increase bullet diameter and it eliminates the need for lube, the mess of lube and the possibility of lube drying out.

You can enlarge the mold a little by leementing I only like to use that for evening up cavity size/weights.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    My current alloy is 1.8% Tin and 3% Ant. My current selection of molds will throw to .3105/.311 when air cooled. Never tried water droping. I would like to try the ww/pure lead at 50/50 but I'm sure they might not make even .310. How would I spec out a mold from Accurate to get the soft alloy to .311 plus and I'm assuming that same mold with my regular alloy might go .314 or so for some worn throat mil-surps and Mosins.
    Has anyone done this, and what were your findings.
    Thanks,
    Tony
    When you spec a mold with Tom let him know what alloy you will use also rember his tolerance is +.002. So if you want to use 50/50 aloy and want it to drop @ .311 order the mold .309 and with his + .002 tolerance the mold will throw 50/50 alloy bullets @ .311when you cast with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks 475AR,
    Do you know if .309 with a positive only tolerance accounts for the air cooled shrinkage and growth that alloys show. My current alloy- the as cast size is a little larger than the 2 week old size and two wks is where my alloy quits moving either way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    Thanks 475AR,
    Do you know if .309 with a positive only tolerance accounts for the air cooled shrinkage and growth that alloys show. My current alloy- the as cast size is a little larger than the 2 week old size and two wks is where my alloy quits moving either way.
    Best to ask Tom, as he would be able to tell you. I am never that accurate on my alloy one time it may be spot on thenext pot not so much...

Beagle the mould for starters. I assume for this season hunting. A couple pieces of painter's tape will do. Less tin will help just a little.
    Whatever!

Banned

you have to go from ww's all the way up to lino-type to gain anything like .001
    cutting your alloy in half will lose something like a half a thou.

Boolit Master
    Don't do any math to figure a size. Just tell Tom the size you want the bullet to be and the alloy you plan to use. He does the math and get's it correct.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 11-07-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys for all the input. I think I will spec. it out to throw .312 and size down to .311 with the 50/50 alloy.
    Tony

Banned

you need to email tom. his tolerance has a + and a - so you need to tell him EXACTLY what you need.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Tomme boy, I have already and just trying to pick the mold. (way too many choices) I am leaning toward the flat nose clone of lyman 314299 for the ought 6 and the regular groove ranch dog clone for the 30-30. Both for deer out to 125 yards, unless someone has a better mold choice. The lyman 314299 is a great bullet in the 03-a3, just would rather have a flat nose for hunting.
    Tony

I suggest you do a pound cast of the 30/30 before getting the RD. Find where the lands start and have him put a step just before there so you get maybe a 0.10 - 0.20" bore rider. Doesn't take much but really helps in accuracy and no live round ejection problems. Kinda like the 31-165R/31-165A but move the step out to the lands.
    Last edited by popper; 11-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks popper, will do. I had wondered about that. I have two 30-30's. One 94 and a marlin.

I only have the Marlin which must have a loose neck & throat but tight bore. When I used the RD with a full load of LeverE groups were good when jamming the lands, sucked otherwise. Changed to a 31-182C but didn't put that step in. Same results. Use a washer to create the step and results the same as jamming. Put just enough into the lands without sticking to get proper centering. That mould works great for the BO also.
    Whatever!