Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: WWII C47 - DC3 Flown By Vet Who Flew It On D-Day

Vendor Sponsor

WWII C47 - DC3 Flown By Vet Who Flew It On D-Day

95yr old veteran Gerald Parker flew this same aircraft in several theaters during the war, it is the only survivor of at least one of the North Africa campaigns, he flew this aircraft in support of the Market Garden offensive and also flew it during the D-Day invasion.

The aircraft has a storied past and through the diligent research and restoration efforts of owner Scott Glover, the history of not only this aircraft but the pilots who flew her is brought to life in a compassionate and colorful presentation.

Regretfully, Gerald Parker passed away on 10-18-2017 but he was in good enough health to fly this aircraft once more at the age of 95, and share some of his experiences with this aircraft. Ride along with Gerald Parker as he flies his last mission:

Not going to post the video, but here are some youtube links to more from Gerald Parker, and also the discovery and restoration of this aircraft:

https://youtu.be/uHZUOyg-ZWw

https://youtu.be/hnMLLg3Q2d4

Phone interview with Mr. Parker about the D-Day mission:

https://youtu.be/OeQFG2MTsgk
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-06-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Great video, thanks for posting it !!
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I was sitting at the kitchen table watching the video and commented to my wife how neat it was for this fellow to get to fly that aircraft after so many years. Being a"smart ****" she is said "maybe in 20 yrs they'll let you change a brake on a 727"!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy

Neat video, thanks for sharing.

Banned
    There are few left that remember All their memories should be documented BUT many don't want to remember much of what happened.
    I've found that there are some memories from the war that most enjoy talking about. A friend never got tired of telling about calling in artillery bombardments every time he saw a natzi leave a bunker to go to the bathroom.

Boolit Master
    Hi Doug Guy.Great video.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Nice video. My first commercial airline flight was on a DC-3(civilian model, C-47) in 1964. Around March or April 1966, I got to jump a Royal Netherlands Air Force Dakota(former C-47) while in the 509th Airborne in Germany. As I recall, there were 17 paratroopers and a loadmaster in the back. The prop blast was horrific and it appeared the the vertical stabalizer was going to cut you in half. In reality you passed several feet below it.

In VN, it was comforting to see and hear the AC-47 Spooky gunships overhead raining death and destruction.

Two years ago, at our battalion reunion in Charlotte, we arranged a 'heritage' flight on a C-47 with D Day invasion stripe and band paint scheme just like the one in the video above.

Good memories, the one featured in the video might have been the one that my father or uncle jumped out on 6 June 1944.

No make that "Great post "
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Great post
    I wonder what the overweight, marijuana, snowflakes would do if called to protect America
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Pee their pants and run screaming for their safe room and crayons.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Thanks Doug!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia