Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 special/.357 mag 9mm conversion. Interesting!

.38 special/.357 mag 9mm conversion. Interesting!

I remember the Ruger Blackhawks with swapable cylinders for .357 and 9mm, but hadn’t given it a thought on anything else. Well not sleeping and being bored, I come across this, https://www.tkcustom.com/services/machining I think their prices are a bit steep, but it’s an interesting idea and makes a gun even more versatile imo. I’m not sure I’d want to carry moon clips 100% of the time, but in an instance where you are out of ammo and some 9mm happens to be available, you could keep going.
    I dunno, I found it an interesting idea, thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Then I come across this,

**In regard to the caliber conversions, I do not recommend shooting .38/.357 case’s in the cylinder once this conversion is done. The cases will fire form to the 9mm case dimensions and they will most likely stick in the cylinder.

They will shoot, but they will probably stick.

So maybe not?
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    ETA:
    I posted after you did above, as I had to step away for a while, but the post is still applicable even after your last post. It mentions one of the things I was pondering but did not mention in particular since it was in the NOTES of caution on the webpage which I did mention....
    -----------------------------------------------

I like the idea of the versatility myself. But I do have some questions about doing it & some thoughts. If converted, it lends itself to versatility, but then you have to be very careful to remember the NOTES they have regarding what loads may be used in shooting 9mm in the 38/357M cylinder due to pressure issues.

Another thing goes back to the moon clips. To me , if for a self defense aspect, they are just one more thing that could go wrong if they get bent or something to make the rounds not fit into "battery". [ I have not ever used moonclips so have no experience with them , but I am skeptical of something that seems "gimmicky" and particularly so if it was to be used in a SD situation. KISS principle is more along the lines of the way I think.]

BTW, is "out of ammo" in your post meaning SHTF/TEOTWAWKI? If not those type scenario the what else would ya mean?

If either one, that caution in the notes is something to consider. Ya would not want to take just any 9mm luger & stuff them in there & shoot , not knowing the makeup of the cartridges. The results might not be helpful to you & your situation + any "need" to shoot them.

Please note that I am not being critical like I am trying to talk you or anyone out of doing this to their firearm. I am just doing a sort of "Devils Advocate" with some of the things I think should be considered.

You asked for thoughts about doing it, and those were some of mine... LOL

G'luck! if ya decide to do this. I do think it is an interesting idea.

ETA: P.S. - don't forget they want ya to use "tools" they make, to install & remove their moonclips to prevent "bending" also..
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-06-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I won’t ever spend that kind of money for the service, there are several decent guns that I could purchase in that price range (the SCCY being a great example) that would be better money spent.
    I was just nutting around in my sleeplessness!
    The scenario, I dunno, say you went out with a buddy and get ambushed, he’s got three mags, you’ve got five and are held behind cover.
    SHTF and you are caught out with just your CCW gun and for whatever reasons you can’t get back home to your good guns and are forced to make due with what you have.
    I dunno, I typically don’t put a whole lot of thought into an exacting scenario, just look at the versatility it adds and try to weigh the costs vs the benifits, then find reasons why it is or isn’t a good idea. I’ve got too much time on my hands in other words!

Boolit Master
    LOL

I have sleepless nights often enough. I know what you are talking about.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I couldn't imagine any real advantage to such a conversion. While not the same thing, I tried one of the Ruger convertibles with two cylinders years ago. If I used the proper diameter 9mm cast bullet (.358" or .359") for the Ruger .38 Sp./.357 Mag. bore, the loaded 9mm cartridges wouldn't chamber.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I couldn't imagine any real advantage to such a conversion. While not the same thing, I tried one of the Ruger convertibles with two cylinders years ago. If I used the proper diameter 9mm cast bullet (.358" or .359") for the Ruger .38 Sp./.357 Mag. bore, the loaded 9mm cartridges wouldn't chamber.
    I always wondered about that. And shooting .356 jacketed bullets in a .357 bore should affect accuracy. I suppose the 9mm chambers could be opened up to take .358 bullets?
    Don Verna

I can’t see why not, but that is another disadvantage, but I don’t recall hearing accuracy issues with the old Rugers?
    But again, enlarging the cylinder even more, is that going to create a bigger problem with 38/357 brass?

I've got three of the Blackhawk .357/9mm conversions, and they all shoot minute of tincan accuracy at 35 yards, with is the distance to the berm on our pistol range. I've got one that I had Dougguy convert to 9x23 Winchester, and the 9x23 Winchester cylinder and ammunition will out shoot the .38/.357 cylinder every time, primarily because Doug honed the cylinder throats of the 9x23 Winchester cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

Quote;SHTF and you are caught out with just your CCW gun and for whatever reasons you can’t get back home to your good guns "
    You don't carry a
    GOOD gun for CCW?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The 9mm Para and .38 S&W are close to the same body diameter. Main difference is that 9mm is .754" long and .38 S&W .775". Early Ruger India models which were reworked from French 9mms could use 9mm with half-moon clips, and .38 S&W or .380 Mk2z without clips, the rims headspacing on the extractor star. Only the outer circumference of the cylinder was turned to provide clearance for the half-moon clips. This mod doesn't work with full moon clips which fit over the extractor ratchet, because the required clip+rim clearance for 9mm exceeds the .060" rim clearance for .38 S&W.

While many WW2 British .380 Rimmed (.38 S&W) revolvers were rechambered for .38 Special by lengthening the chambers to accept .38 Special ammunition, the case bodies bulge to fill the larger diameter .38 S&W chamber (.388 vs. .379" for .38 Spl.). I know from experience that while this works OK with standard pressure .38 Specials, if you full length resize and reload the fired brass, case life is VERY short. I would expect this problem would be worse with .38 Special +P and .357...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

I cannot see an advantage of 9mm over the 357. If 9 is used because it is more available I would much prefer the 15 shot CZ to a 5 shot converted j frame. I like my revolvers to much in rimmed cartridges to restrict them to rimless. I do however have both a dual cylinder Blackhawk in 45 and 357/9mm and like them.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I cannot see an advantage of 9mm over the 357. If 9 is used because it is more available I would much prefer the 15 shot CZ to a 5 shot converted j frame. I like my revolvers to much in rimmed cartridges to restrict them to rimless. I do however have both a dual cylinder Blackhawk in 45 and 357/9mm and like them.
    That TKCustom modification doesn't restrict the revolver to rimless only. It still handles the rimmed cartrdiges just fine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've got three of the Blackhawk .357/9mm conversions, and they all shoot minute of tincan accuracy at 35 yards, with is the distance to the berm on our pistol range. I've got one that I had Dougguy convert to 9x23 Winchester, and the 9x23 Winchester cylinder and ammunition will out shoot the .38/.357 cylinder every time, primarily because Doug honed the cylinder throats of the 9x23 Winchester cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    You do realize that the 9x23 has a much higher pressure rating then the 357 Magnum right? 55,000 psi to be exact.

Boolit Master
    9x19 case diameter: .3926" tapering to .380" at the case mouth.
    .38 Special and .357 Mag case diameter: .379" non-tapered.

I'm amazed this even needs to be pointed out on a reloading forum.

Boolit Buddy

I have the same experience as lotech with cast 9mm in the ruger convertible. My 9s (sized to .356 in a Lyman 4500) won't fully seat in the cylinder. Factory 9s work fine. As to accuracy, at 25 yards off a rest, my 6.5 inch Blackhawk throws the 9s within a couple inches of .38 Spl. but they group fine - just a little high.

Banned

You all know there is another Ruger convertible that's not mentioned much here. That's the 38-40/10mm. Anyone have comments on that one?

I believe the 45Colt/45acp to be one of the better convertibles.

Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    Quote;SHTF and you are caught out with just your CCW gun and for whatever reasons you can’t get back home to your good guns "
    You don't carry a
    GOOD gun for CCW?
    80-90% of the time, probably closer to 95% anymore, my CCW is a Ruger LCR in .357. My other is a Colt Delta Elite, yes, with the right holster and my body it does conceal and carry well. Honestly in a SHTF scene I might be better off with the LCR because of ammo availability. But as Cooper always said “The only purpose of a handgun is to buy you time to get to your rifle!”
    As I’ve already stated, for much less money than the conversion I can get a 9mm SCCY which has more than proven themselves to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    You do realize that the 9x23 has a much higher pressure rating then the 357 Magnum right? 55,000 psi to be exact.
    Of course. We figured that all in prior to doing the conversion, but most loading data is restricted to less than that in the manuals, including Winchester's, which max's out at 46,000 psi. Some .357 Magnum loadings approach that pressure, but with a much, much weaker case. It's a safe conversion, done in the right cylinder, and being judicious in loading.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    You all know there is another Ruger convertible that's not mentioned much here. That's the 38-40/10mm. Anyone have comments on that one?

I believe the 45Colt/45acp to be one of the better convertibles.
    Couple of us are having Rugers rebarrelled to .40 cal. with the 9mm cylinder done to .40 S&W and the .357 to 10mm.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast