RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Midland Backpack Shotgun

The Midland Backpack Shotgun

Made in the USA (Midland,MI ?), MSRP = under $150 USD, with the possibility of interchangeable rifle barrels available in the near future.

It looks similar to a folding 12ga Beretta Companion I had about 20 years ago, that I converted to .44 Magnum via unsoldering the 12ga barrel from the Beretta monoblock & replacing/fitting it with a .44mag barrel from Numrich.

Gauge: 12 gauge; 3-inch chamber
    Capacity: 1 round
    Barrel Length: 18.5 inches
    Overall Length: 40.5 inches
    Weight: 5 pounds, 1 ounce
    MSRP: $140
    (304) 274-0004 shootmidland.com

If I can get one in 20ga, I intend to order it.
    Last edited by pietro; 11-06-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

If it was available in Pistol caliber carbines I can see a lot of people who would buy.
    Even if the price was 300$.

9mm, .40sw/10mm, .45acp, .45 colt, .38/.357 all seem to be very popular.

I have 2 H&R Handi rifles setup for SHTF. One is all pistol calibers and a 12 ga shotgun. The other is a .223 Ultra 7.62x39 and a shotgun.

Boolit Master
    I think I'd rather leave one of these in its original shotgun configuration and make several rifled barrel inserts in various chamberings.

Not dissing the practice of converting to rifles, That takes a fairly high skill level and would be a rifle to be proud of, I would simply find a multiple caliber choice better for my purposes.

A method of indexing the inserts for repeatable POI results would be necessary.

When regulating the barrel inserts of several Crosman CO2 revolvers the method used there seemed to me to be promising when regulating a rifled insert to strike at point of aim when using the shallow U notch and bead found on most Single shot Shotguns.

If the POI is to right or left you turn the liner about 1/4 turn. The POI will then be closer to dead on in the horizontal plane and any shift will be in the vertical plane.
    If the POI is to the shooter's right turn 1/4 turn clockwise (when looking down the muzzle or counter clockwise if looking from the breech) The POI will then be nearer the centerline but higher than before. Turn in the opposite direction and the POI will be lower.

Its always easier to hold low on a target than to try Kentucky windage. Also it POI is high at closer ranges then as the bullet drops it will be dead on at longer ranges.

A small dia hole drilled into the rim recess and matching pin in the rim of the inserts should do the trick.
    The Chamber portion could be turned from brass with the steel barrel liner threaded into it . A collar of brass with O-ring mounted a bit further up the length of the liner would hold it steady. The collar position might be moved up or down till the best harmonics positions are reached. one could experiment with multiple collars.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    304 Area Code on the artwork is West Virginia, so I gave them a call. It is a local number for me.

Company is located in Martinsburg. The guns are made in Turkey, are affordable and nicely turned out.

Website should be up in a few weeks. 12-ga. will ship first.

Plans are for .22 LR, .410 and 20-ga. to follow shortly after after first of the year.

Rifles in .30-30, .357 Mag. and .44 Mag. to follow next year.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    304 Area Code on the artwork is West Virginia, so I gave them a call. It is a local number for me.

Company is located in Martinsburg. The guns are made in Turkey, are affordable and nicely turned out.

Website should be up in a few weeks. 12-ga. will ship first.

Plans are for .22 LR, .410 and 20-ga. to follow shortly after after first of the year.

Rifles in .30-30, .357 Mag. and .44 Mag. to follow next year.

Thanks for the follow up & pedigree clarification.

The Turks seem to be going through the same steps that Japanese firearms manufacturers did - start out making junk, then as US importers demand, up the quality (sometimes as good or better than homegrown, monies being equal)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Subscribing as I’m curious as to the quality of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Bub
    In to see what comes of these.

Outpost where at in wv???

Quote Originally Posted by markX View Post
    In to see what comes of these.

Outpost where at in wv???
    They are in Martinsburg. I'm a bit farther west.

If you track inbound from the west on the North Mountain VOR into the 167th AW your flight path takes you over our place...
    Attachment 207295
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-06-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Nice. I’m farther west than you

Quote Originally Posted by markX View Post
    Nice. I’m farther west than you
    Shanghai
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Made in the USA (Midland,MI ?), MSRP = under $150 USD, with the possibility of interchangeable rifle barrels available in the near future.

It looks similar to a folding 12ga Beretta Companion I had about 20 years ago, that I converted to .44 Magnum via unsoldering the 12ga barrel from the Beretta monoblock & replacing/fitting it with a .44mag barrel from Numrich.

Gauge: 12 gauge; 3-inch chamber
    Capacity: 1 round
    Barrel Length: 18.5 inches
    Overall Length: 40.5 inches
    Weight: 5 pounds, 1 ounce
    MSRP: $140
    (304) 274-0004 shootmidland.com

If I can get one in 20ga, I intend to order it.
    I like the concept of this little gun. Seems like NEF stopping manufacture of the old Toppers has left a void for single shot shotguns. Glad someone is filling it.

There are the Rossi’s. I bought my son a Trifecta for his first gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Banned

Seems like I heard Rossi stopped too.

I like single shot shotguns. I have a few of different varieties, but I think my little Savage 220 in 20 gauge is the favorite. I kind of like not having an exposed hammer on it like this Midland.

Boolit Master
    A friend bought one of the Rossi guns for his wife, with .410 and .22 LR barrels.

One day I'd like to get a Savage Over and Under combination gun but as it is I'd first have to sell off at least one of my guns that I like the least.
    A .22 over 20 gauge should cover any reasonable subsistence hunting needs. As stove up as I am these days going for long hikes is pretty much out of the question so its academic.

I had a Beretta folder; and that's what it did to pheasants! The trigger guard was too small for gloves so that was the deal breaker because it's cold out there hunting on the plains.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    A friend bought one of the Rossi guns for his wife, with .410 and .22 LR barrels.

One day I'd like to get a Savage Over and Under combination gun but as it is I'd first have to sell off at least one of my guns that I like the least.
    A .22 over 20 gauge should cover any reasonable subsistence hunting needs. As stove up as I am these days going for long hikes is pretty much out of the question so its academic.
    I have one of the little camper versions of those with the short barrel and space in the stock for extra rounds. It's a neat little gun, but hard to shoot the .22 barrel well as the trigger pull and open sights aren't that great. It has a cylinder barrel, and I might use it where I hunt as they now require steel shot and I think I could shoot it without risk with an open choke like that.

Boolit Master
    I just got an email from Navy Arms about these Midland Shotguns and among the ad copy they mention wash conversion to centerfire and rimfire calibers. The Midlands website also has "rimfire" and "centerfire" categories in addition to the "shotgun" category, although only "shotgun" is currently populated with anything.

The question is, will these be like an H&R, Rossi, or just drop in caliber adaptors.

Boolit Master
    I think I would buy one of these & one of the rifle calibers.

Thanks for sharing the info about these firearms!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Waiting to see what they come up with for rifles caliber wise.

But color me interested.

I have a definite "thing" for unique single shots.
    At 800 to 1k$ which is more fun, 4 of those in 4 different calibers? Or a baby Rolling Block?

Tough call to make.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I hope they do it right and the quality is there, would be real close to a dream gun for me. They look better quality than the hatfields, at least I hope they are. They look like the same shotguns being imported to Canada under the "Warrior" brand which seem to have good reviews. Looking forward to seeing the rifle offerings. Drop in replacement barrels would be even better. I do wish they had went with a more common Rem choke or win/inv choke thread rather than the beretta style chokes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast