RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ballistic Coefficient NOE 360-180

Boolit Buddy

Ballistic Coefficient NOE 360-180

Just wondering if anyone would know what the Ballistic Coefficient of the NOE 360-180 WFN-GC bullet would be.

I got a Final Pre-Deer Season 100 yard Zero on my CVA Scout Pistol in 357 Maximum today. I am using a 30mm MatchDot II Red Dot Sight which has an "Elevation Dial". I am driving the NOE 360-180 at just a hair over 1900 fps with a 21.0 grain charge of H110. The Scout really likes this bullet. With the BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT of this bullet, I can work out a Drop Chart in 25 yard increments from 125 to 200 yards. The Dot Size increases with the yardage which makes working out an ACCURATE Hold Over Chart by firing at extended yardage hard to do. I believe I will get better results Dialing in the Elevation Correction arrived at from a Ballistic Program.

Just for information purposes:
    The NOE 360-180 WFN GC bullet weighs in at 188 grains ready to fire.
    Casting using a propane Turkey Fryer Burner and 12" Pot and Ladle.
    Sizing on an old RCBS Lube/Sizer that I bought new about 40 years ago. Bullets for the Scout and my GP100 Sized to .357.
    Bullet Lube White Label Caranuba Red, then Tumble Lubed with Bens Tumble Lube.

Bob

Vendor Sponsor
    Maybe just shoot it at those distances and find out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone would know what the Ballistic Coefficient of the NOE 360-180 WFN-GC bullet would be.

I got a Final Pre-Deer Season 100 yard Zero on my CVA Scout Pistol in 357 Maximum today. I am using a 30mm MatchDot II Red Dot Sight which has an "Elevation Dial". I am driving the NOE 360-180 at just a hair over 1900 fps with a 21.0 grain charge of H110. The Scout really likes this bullet. With the BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT of this bullet, I can work out a Drop Chart in 25 yard increments from 125 to 200 yards. The Dot Size increases with the yardage which makes working out an ACCURATE Hold Over Chart by firing at extended yardage hard to do. I believe I will get better results Dialing in the Elevation Correction arrived at from a Ballistic Program.

Just for information purposes:
    The NOE 360-180 WFN GC bullet weighs in at 188 grains ready to fire.
    Casting using a propane Turkey Fryer Burner and 12" Pot and Ladle.
    Sizing on an old RCBS Lube/Sizer that I bought new about 40 years ago. Bullets for the Scout and my GP100 Sized to .357.
    Bullet Lube White Label Caranuba Red, then Tumble Lubed with Bens Tumble Lube.

Bob
    Bob,

This is a link to N.O.E.'s sketch of the bullet. Look in the lower right corner of the image and you will see the "Estimated B.C." of the bullet to be 0.2355.
    This is a computer generated estimate based on the nose profile and weight of the bullet.
    However, when the bullet meplate diameter is in excess of 60% of bullet diameter, it is usually better to use the bullet sectional density of the bullet as the B.C.
    This design has a meplate diameter of 77% so using the sectional density would most likely return a more realistic estimation of the B.C.;

188 grains is (188 / 7000) = 0.026857 lbs.

After the bullet exits the barrel, the diameter will probably be around 0.357"
    Divide the pounds by the diameter squared ( 0.026857 / 0.357 / 0.357 ) = an estimated B.C. of 0.2107

As Ammohead has already pointed out, what works best is to shoot the bullet at two known distances using the same sight settings and then, using your ballistic software, use trial and error B.C.s until you find the one that calculates the drop that matches your two targets. Then you can use that BC to calculate drops at any reasonable range. This method does require a realistic and fairly accurate muzzle velocity value to work.

Or, you could use the Precision Ballistics Version ~ 5 software which contains a module to calculate an accurate B.C. using targets at known ranges.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 11-05-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Grand Master

The estimate on the drawing is 0.2343. All of his molds have the BC on the drawing which is nice.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the information I was needing. Not much difference between .2107 and .2343 out to 200 yards.
    Handgun 14" CVA Scout Break Action Single Shot
    Cartridge 357 Maximum
    Bullet NOE 360-180 WFN-GC Weight 188 Grains
    Velocity 1900 fps
    Sight Height 1.75"
    Optical Sight 30mm MatchDot II with Bullet Drop Compensator Elevation Knob
    Elevation Click Value 1 MOA

YARDS TO TARGET & Bullet Drop........BDC DIAL ELEVATION
    100 Yards ZERO
    125 Yards -1.5............................UP 1 Click
    150 Yards -4.0............................UP 3 Clicks
    175 Yards -7.5............................UP 4 Clicks
    200 Yards -12.25........................Up 6 Clicks

The 30mm MatchDot II using the 2 MOA Dot Size. The Dot will cover up a 4 Inch Circle at 200 yards. The above Sight Corrections will probably be as good as it gets. Thank You Tom Myers and dragon813gt.

EDIT: I just checked on the Hornady 180 XTP. The BC on it is .23 so the same Elevation Corrections will work with both loads from 125 - 200 yards

Bob
    Last edited by Viper225; 11-07-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Please realize that BC is an estimate. It changes with altitude, humidity, and air temperature. We can only achieve so much precision!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Wayne I realize that I will not have the best precision using the Red Dot Sight to start with. I very well may not feel comfortable making a 200 yard shot on a deer "under field conditions" even knowing the Come-Up's.

I sure miss Perry's Exbal ballistic program. It was my all time favorite.

Bob
    Last edited by Viper225; 11-07-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I decided to check my Elevation Corrections at the Range this afternoon.

I forgot my card, so I ended up winging it.
    125 yards = 1 Click
    150 yards = 3 Click
    175 yards = 4 Click
    200 yards = 6 Click

The Elevation worked out ok, my issue at the longer ranges was canting the handgun. With a Red Dot you do not even have Cross Hairs to reference keeping the handgun vertical. The 30mm MatchDot II does not have enough room behind the knobs to mount a Bubble Level. What I may need to look into is either a base mounted Scope Level or a different ring set that I can mount a Bubble Level on the top of. It is running plenty good enough for Saturday "Opening Day of the Missouri Deer Season".
    Last edited by Viper225; 11-08-2017 at 02:38 AM.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7