Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Berdan primed to boxer small rifle?

Boolit Master

Berdan primed to boxer small rifle?

I have converted quite a few Kynoch 8mm Lebel to 209 primed 10.35 Italian Vetterli, but i ran out of those cases. The military Lebel cases I have has a groove in the base to catch the point in the tube feed rifles and is making a 209 conversion problematic. I considered the usual conversion to LR boxer primers, but the pocket is a bit to wide and shallow. However, the inside of the berdan primer is about the size of a boxer small rifle primer with enough room to swage it to proper width. The depth is also the same between the two if I remove the berdan anvil. Any problems with considering this idea?
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master
    Why not just buy prvi partisan boxer primed brass and save yourself a lot of work.

Boolit Master
    Texassako, I've converted some Turk 8mm cases by drilling through the center of the Berdan primer and leaving the sides in the pocket, then used a small rifle primer. They looked good and fired properly, but every one popped out when i deprimed them. Perhaps your primers are crimped in better and will work. Probably better to just buy some Privi Partisian brass and save your berdan cases till the proper primers become available, if ever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Why not just buy prvi partisan boxer primed brass and save yourself a lot of work.
    Because I have a bunch of berdan brass, more time than money, and my boxer brass goes in my Lebels. PPU brass unavailable with no backorder, by the way.
    Back in the land of boolits.

I have seen what you want to do on youtube, but it was for those 223 berdan primed cases. I cannot see why it would not work. it is just removing the little anvil from the primer that would scare me.I would be sure to wear some safety glasses .
    I reworked some 308 win and some 303 british by drilling the primer pocket etc , worked out great.

Boolit Master
    Sharpshooter 22 reloaded makes a berdan reloading drill bit guide that is die brand specific(lyman robs etc) that drills out the anvil. The out comes with knurled rings that stay in the primet pocket and last the life of the case.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 11-05-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Before drilling out the primer I would put the case in a Wilson case trimmer shell holder in a vise and put my own swage on the primers with a tiny chisel or punch