Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Pearson's No-Drill Winchester Scope Rail

Boolit Master

Pearson's No-Drill Winchester Scope Rail

In the constant search for "something new" I'm looking to upgrade sighting equipment n a Winchester 94 Carbine.

Started out with a Williams "Foolproof" on it when I got rid of the original open sights. That worked quite nicely but 30+ years of aging has made it a little more difficult to see through.

Took that off and put on a side mount & scope. :::Gag, Choke, Barf:: Really wrong move.

Somewhere along the way I got to fondle a friends Marlin in 357 which had a Site-Mark open style red dot sight with the multiple choice reticle in it. I found that really convenient to use. Enough so that I have been sort of halfway looking for a good way to mount one of those sights ahead of the receiver.

A while back I ran across the Pearson's No-Drill Winchester mount.

Does anyone here have one? If so, how do you like it?

I'm getting rid of a bunch of scrap brass & copper tomorrow so I'm going to be able to fund both the mount and the sight.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two. One went on dead nuts perfect. One had a different spacing due to the gun, nothing on Pearsons end. I called got the owner(believe he is also the machinist, chief cook, and bottle washer) he knew of several guns with slight variations, as 100 years ago Winchester would build you darn near anything you asked for. He told me how to mark the exact spot that needed a hole. I sent it to him and for a couple bucks(IIRC $10) he custom machines mine to fit my rifle. It is very solid and works great. You will need an intermediate eye relief scope though. I used a couple vortex IER scopes and could not be happier.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry forgot you mentioned a red dot.

Tempting, I have a win 94 AE in dirty thirty that I would love to have a Red Dot sight on.

OP thanks for the info.

Boolit Buddy
    If its an AE is should be D&T for scope omits from the factory. Look on the top rails...see the screws on either side of the top of the reciever these are for mounting a scope or reddot.

Boolit Master
    Guy in my club has one on a 92 works well, neat fit on rifle but won't send to UK he got his on holiday in the us.

Boolit Master
    After selling a mess of scrap brass & copper I'm going through the resulting funds putting this project together.

I pulled the trigger on the Pearson mount and a Sightmark multi reticle red dot Tuesday evening. The sight is due in tomorrow, not sure when the mount will arrive but I'm not in any great rush anyhow.

Now I need to find a saddle ring for a pre-64 94 Winchester. The pre-64 ring has a heavier screw post than the post 64s have, made to be used instead of just a gadget. I will probably have to eat the cost of a truly oddball tap as I doubt any shop around here has a 1/4-30 tap in their tooling.

Then I will put a single point sling on it, adjusted so the sling takes most of the weight of the gun off my right shoulder when I hold it around the receiver, barrel just about straight down.

First and probably only "tactifool" equipment I will ever buy.

Boolit Master
    Moving forward! The sight arrived on Friday, the mount is scheduled(USPS)to arrive on Tuesday.

Also received what I thought was going to be an adequate single point strap. I was wrong, that had arrived from Amazon on Thursday and it is going back, absolute example of worthless, Chinese junk merchandise.

I'm hoping the cold and windy weather we have had for the past 10 days takes a break so I can try the sight/mount out. We were slammed hard with a rogue storm here during the early morning hours of October 28. Extensive utility damage throughout VT, New Hampshire, and portions of Maine. We have lived at this address since September of 1978 and the longest power outage had been only a couple hours during the ice storm of 1998. This time we were down for right around 40 hours. Luckily it was not mid-winter with much lower temperatures.

Winds have been heavier than normal since then. Our deer season opened yesterday morning, winds were down to not quite roaring in the trees velocity by then.

On Friday I was at my shooting club www.SCFCVT.org where there were people trying to sight in while the trash cans were blowing over and trash was blowing everywhere.

Boolit Mold
    I put the no drill on the a 94. I haven’t had a chance to see if it holds zero or not, but it went on easy. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on it for now. I plan on putting a Burris Scout scope on it, I just ran out of time before deer season.
    Most my posts are from a mobile device. They'll probably be full of errors, so please be patient.

Also, I'm new at casting

Boolit Master
    I received the mount and have it installed. It took quite a bit of file work the get the dovetail block that ties the front of the mount dressed down enough to fit the barrel slot where the factory rear sight used to live. I expected that was going to be necessary.

Only complaint I have is that the rear portion of the mount, where it bolts to the receiver was a quite sharp, square edge. When carrying the 94 one-handed, with my hand around the receiver, my thumb was right on that sharp corner. Very uncomfortable in short order. A few minutes with a file and touch up of the finish with black Magic Marker and it's pretty much a non-problem now.

Put the Sightmark red dot on and hit a wall. That sight sits so high that I was chinning the comb, not cheeking it. I have two other red dots, both of which were on guns so I went into sight swapping mode. There was a Leupold/Gilmore on a Contender tube and a BSA on an 1100. Ended with with the L/G on the 94 and it's about a perfect match. Look at an object, snap the rifle up and the dot is glowing right on what I'm looking at. Tried the BSA on there as well and it's a bit too high, usable but not quite right. Ended up with the Sightmark on at 357 Herrett Contender tube and the BSA homeless for the time being, it may go back on the 1100. I didn't mess with the adjustments so it will be interesting to see if it goes back to zero. That 1100 is a buckshot SHTF gun at the present, not one I use regularly. I did try a little skeet when I first put the red dot on it. Hit about as many with the gadget as I'm good for without it.

I was going to sight in both the 94 and the Contender today but it's an hour round trip to the range, wind is varying all over the map, both direction & intensity. Tomorrow will be another day.
    Last edited by Alan in Vermont; 11-16-2017 at 03:43 PM.