Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Ideal .44 mold info and load data

Boolit Mold

Ideal .44 mold info and load data

I’m new to .44 and this forum. I’ve borrowed an Ideal mold and am looking for info or load data. I can extrapolate from Lyman’s manual if that doesn’t work. I’ve seen a few old Ideal charts but haven’t deciphered this mold. It’s markings are 429 431 and 244. The bullet pictured below weighs between 246-249 in my alloy so I’m assuming the 244 reference is to the bullet weight. The bullet looks like Lyman’s 255 gr #429244. I don’t want to be overly reliant on using a different bullet’s load data. Anybody have info or tips? I’ve thought about starting with the Lyman 429640HP load info because it’s close to my nominal bullet weight and of a similar length. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12914A43-BF63-4E9C-8BC2-B9238EC114BA.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	207262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12914A43-BF63-4E9C-8BC2-B9238EC114BA.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	207262

Boolit Buddy
    Those numbers confirm that it is, indeed, Lyman's No.429244 - which was originally No.431244. The first three numbers of the Lyman numbering system are the "size to" diameter, when cast from Lyman's No.2 alloy. The last three numbers are the number assigned to the cherry with which the mould was cut. Over the years, the "size to" diameter varied due to changing preferences of shooters. Originally, when cast of No.2 alloy, it was designed to weigh 244 grains. At the request of Ray Thompson, the originator of that particular design, the cherry number "244" was assigned even though it was already in use (No.308244, designed for the .30 Luger) and the two moulds were for a short time produced concurrently.

Just my opinion, but data for No.429244 is what I would go with. Starting low, of course, and working up until the desired performance is achieved.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks! I appreciate the tutorial. The fun begins!

Chris...., Note that #429244 is a gas check design and may need the gas check [applied] to reach it's accuracy potential.

Boolit Mold
    Yep. Thanks. I’m going to try it both ways. My father in law has been using without with good results. But that’s through a lever gun. I’ll be running them through a 4 5/8 SBH and with and without powder coating.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Does just as well for me without the gas check . I have the 431244 version . Mine weigh a tad over 250 grain .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!