RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfired guns

Boolit Buddy

Unfired guns

I sometimes read about some of you on here having a gun you purchased years ago but have never fired it. What self control, I have to take new purchases out asap to the range. I guess I am a shooter and some are more of a collector(nothing wrong with that).

Boolit Grand Master

Unfired guns

Some, like myself, have limited time to shoot. Two very young children and a job that has me traveling all over the globe leaves little range time. I used to shoot everything immediately. But I bought a few complete collections. Acquiring dozens of guns at once makes it hard to shoot all of them. I do question why I bought them and if I should start selling them off.

In Remembrance

As I`m getting nearer to the end of my road (health wise) I am `thinning the herd` of firearms that I now have no need for. I find it amazing the number of firearms that are in the safes that I have never fired, but had acquired over the last 60 +/- years.Robert

Boolit Master
    I have number of firearms I have never fired.I owned a Colt Anaconda for over 20 years before I fired it.I just never got around to it.

Boolit Master
    No self control here. None!
    Life is so much better with dogs!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think I have two that I haven't fired , it's no big deal to me the others that do get used make up for them . I can relate to the thoughts of downsizing because of health or age . I've been the caretaker for some of them for a long time , I just hope the next caretaker is good to them .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

A gun that doesn't get shot isn't worth the metal it took to make it.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

ya, well I gotta a lot from grandpas and such. One was real shooter and trader. The other was more of a collector. So, I have a small pile of safe queens that only come out in perfect weather. another pile is stuff that came in trade for produce or whaever, a couple spent there life standing in a corner in the barn, butt stocks rotted off but otherwise very usable. My own interest is BPCR, singleshots from military use, Gueddes going backwards. Most off this stuff is cheaper to get the gun than make the ammo.
    just sayin...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    As I`m getting nearer to the end of my road (health wise) I am `thinning the herd` of firearms that I now have no need for. I find it amazing the number of firearms that are in the safes that I have never fired, but had acquired over the last 60 +/- years.Robert
    SAME HERE! Been trying to thin the herd of guns, gunsmithing tools, and casting/loading equip. for past year. Golden Years arn't golden just painted yellow.

Larry

I have one I think I have not shot, yet. Just have not made it to the range in the last few weeks.

It happens to be a Handi Rifle barrel I bought here, matched to a .300BO receiver I bought some 3 years back. It is loaded and ready, 100 rounds of 230 gr TC over 6 grains of Red Dot. Cast another 100 bullets today, they will get loaded this week.

It is already sporting a 2x Truglo Red Dot sight. Smaller than most scopes, eyepiece does not get in the way of the hammer. Outside 3-4 on the power ring puts the Red Dot jumping out at you without covering up the target. The 2x helps bring those far targets in a little bit. But great field of view, fast on target. Even if I only punch paper with it.

I do have 3 shotguns that have not been fired, all single shots. 2 12 ga's and a 20. I expect the 12's to kick a bit.

SHTF I expect to arm my block. I'm ready.

Boolit Master
    Some just collect a lot more than they shoot. I know a fellow (and there are a lot like him) that has a LOT of Mosins. How different are different years or arsenals of the same rifle going to shoot? He has some shooters of each style, but most are display pieces and safe queens. I am more a shooter and not a collector, but it can still be hard to give everything a little range time.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master

Not only have all of my firearms been shot, but almost all of my "hunting guns" have taken game. Only 3 of the newest haven't been successful...yet! If I can't use them, there is no point in having them! Even some of my CCW firearms have taken game! (short range chucks under 50 yards)

ADMIN

I have a pile of weapons my father gave me that I have never shot.
    Mostly because they are duplicates of ones I have but some of it is that I have no desire.
    With the exception of my HK UMP (40 cal sub machine gun) and a TD Ruger 10/22, I haven't fired a "rifle" in years

I am into mostly pistols now days. Guess I need to break out and shoot some of my rifles but with the stuff going on today, I might need to hide them with some ammo for later use.

Boolit Master
    I am a firearm user, not really a "collector". I shoot them & if they do not work to my standards, down the road they go. I have no trouble selling one if someone admires it either, or if I don't want it and have another in mind to replace it. One time I had to sell a couple to buy Christmas presents for my sons & missus. Got laid off in the Winter unexpectedly & had to make an effort to get some extra $$. They were "keepers" & I regret letting them go, but the reason was a good one, IMO. One was a SS S&W Model 686 silhouette 5" bbl with adjustable front(4 position) and rear sights. Factory made and I had only shot less than 50 rounds through it. The other was a blued Ruger Standard .22 that was my first Ruger made pistol. It was a tack driver.
    I still miss them too. Never replaced them... I don't know why..

Anyway, I have a couple friends who are collectors & they have both "users" & safe queens, but neither one has ever sold one of theirs yet. Both are VN vets & are keeping them for their grandkids & such. Doesn't bother me a bit that folks collect, since it is their firearms to do what they like with them. Everyone is different & for different reasons.
    To each their own, but I just have the need that, if I am gonna own it, I am gonna shoot it... At least to see how it shoots for me.

Another one of those , "YMMV" type deals, I guess.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Well today I took out my Finn Mosin Nagant that I have had and never fired in over 30 years.
    I still have a Lee Enfield #4 /2 that Has yet to be fired at all, and I bought it well over 30 years ago, still wrapped in the paper and covered in Cosmoline.
    The only reason I took it out of the paper wrapper was, a friend bought one like it at a gun show.
    He held onto it for a couple of years, then opened it.
    What he had bought was a Well Worn #4 that someone wrapped it up and sold it as a Factory Unfired rifle.
    My reason for keeping them for so long with out ever taking them out and firing them is, I just have too many rifles.
    And too many other projects going on at one time to be able to shoot every one.
    Like I said in another thread, I have several of one model of rifles.
    So if the one I choose to shoot is working great, why take out another one just like it.
    And if the one I choose to shoot doesnt shoot well or look too good, then fix it , or make it into something that shoots better than the original.
    I am not a Collector, or fancy myself as one.
    And a lot of the rifles that I have never shot, are in original condition, but maybe not in the Pristine condition that a true collector would want or be willing to pay Collectors pricing for them.
    But when I look at say 4 mausers in my safe, that I have never fired.
    The one I usually take out to shoot , is the one that needs the most work.
    The others arent getting in any worse condition just sitting.
    But the one that is the beater in the pack, is the one who will be tinkered with or rebuilt back to original condition or sporterized, or the parts used to rebuild the next one in the bunch.
    Most of the spare parts end up as doaner rifles to build some nice Custom or Specialty rifles.
    I also have a Colt 1851 Navy Second generation that is still unfire, and i have owned it since the early '80's
    I bought it because it is my favorite model that colt made back in the day.
    But the dang thing is too small for my hands.
    My finger barely fits into the Square back Trigger Guard.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-06-2017 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    A gun that doesn't get shot isn't worth the metal it took to make it.
    I like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a '91 Argentine Mauser I've never fired......no reason why, I just never have. Bought it from a good friend probably 15 years ago, for $100. I have everything I need to load for it......just haven't found the interest strong enough to outweigh other projects. I will......someday.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I bought a vz52 about 2yrs ago. Came with 150rds of ammo. I have since only been able to find 60 more. The surplus ammo is very very corrosive, I have a very very limited supply. I can't justify shooting it 10 times just to spend and hr or more cleaning the bugger. Man I wish someone would do a limited run of boxer primed ammo

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I haven't shot half of mine. Some are new in box, some I had built, but I seem to only take my old favorites when I head out to shoot.

I also have stamps that have never been licked, coins that have never been circulated, baseballs that will never see another bat, dolls that have never been played with - or even opened, flint arrowheads that will never fly again, candles that will never be lit......... all of these are a waste too?
    Last edited by Beagle333; 11-18-2017 at 05:09 AM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Ok I've given myself a new job. I'm going to travel the country to visit you non fire-ers and help you shoot those poor guns. Somebody has to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast