RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Winchester Modle 70 in 6x45

Winchester Modle 70 in 6x45

I would like to know if Winchester Model 70 was made in a 6x45, and if any body has had good luck with this cal. shooting 45 to 65 gr boolits, I have a Corbin set up for 6mm, I have several other 6mm guns in model 70 but I want this one next. I have commercial bullet jackets and 22 rimfire bullet jackets, I don't want to shoot these fast I have a couple 6mm molds that I want to use also. This will be for shooting targets and a occasional coyote.

I may have to buy a New Winchester Model 70 in 223 and change the barrel, If I do I will get a custom barrel with a muzzle brake on it.

Boolit Master
    I had one that someone put together on a model 70. It was easy to load for, I don't know what the twist rate was but it shot 70gr bullets fine. When I got a .223 that would shoot the 69 and 75 gr bullets I couldn't see the use of the 6x45 as velocities weren't very high. JMHO

I like to make my own bullets and a set of dies from Corbin cost as much as a gun that's why I'm sticking with 6mm, I can load them down and it wont shoot up much powder for plinking/hunting. My 243 shoots 85 and up good, my 243wssm shoots 95 to 120gr at any speed I want, I'm just filling the gap. I'm shooting my 45/70 with BP the most right now and a custom 270. My personal guns go from 22lr to 6mm I don't have any thing in between.
    Last edited by Randy C; 11-05-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I had one that someone put together on a model 70. It was easy to load for, I don't know what the twist rate was but it shot 70gr bullets fine. When I got a .223 that would shoot the 69 and 75 gr bullets I couldn't see the use of the 6x45 as velocities weren't very high. JMHO
    From the loading data I see the 6x45 with a 70 grain bullet beats the 223 with same weight???? In fact I've seen Nosler data for the 85 grain in the 6x45 that was right up there too!

I wasn’t really worried about the ballistics I just wanted to shoot 6mm Bullets then I can keep using my Corbin dies, to make bullets, This caliber was used for years overseas and here in competition shooting because it could stabilize a 6mm bullet better than a 223, out to 300yrd but I believe they were shooting heavy long bullets I want to plink with light bullets they’re cheap to make and I won’t use up much powder.
    Last edited by Randy C; 11-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well go for it! It sounds like it would fill a niche for you. If your not stuck on Model 70's, A Savage short action rifle might be a less expensive route.

Thanks for the Reply's

VZERONE
    Your right it does have it's advantages in certain shooting scenarios.

Mr Peabody I'm trying to stay with model 70 because I like Winchester, a lot of my friends shoot Remington, Savage was one my first guns when I was a kid. I own a little of everything.

There are a lot of calibers being brought back to get people to buy a new gun, I think most ballistics can be duplicated with what people have if they reloaded but most people buy off the shelf, I use Berger j4 jackets and Corbin and sierra along with 17/22shot/long and 22mag shells to make bullet jackets. I don't have the time I would like for this hobby.

I wonder if any body is making a 6x45 now days.

Boolit Master
    The 6x45 is most commonly available in AR's.I've had one since 1985 or so.I haven't fired it for years.It is quite accurate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    Thanks for the Reply's

VZERONE
    Your right it does have it's advantages in certain shooting scenarios.

Mr Peabody I'm trying to stay with model 70 because I like Winchester, a lot of my friends shoot Remington, Savage was one my first guns when I was a kid. I own a little of everything.

There are a lot of calibers being brought back to get people to buy a new gun, I think most ballistics can be duplicated with what people have if they reloaded but most people buy off the shelf, I use Berger j4 jackets and Corbin and sierra along with 17/22shot/long and 22mag shells to make bullet jackets. I don't have the time I would like for this hobby.

I wonder if any body is making a 6x45 now days.
    Off the top of my head Les Baer makes, or use to make, a 6x45 in an AR 15. Twists choices were 8 or 9.

I like bolt guns there easier for me to clean, Yes I've seen them on line in a AR.

Boolit Master
    The 6x45 is a wildcat cartridge and the answer to your original question is, no, they did not make the M70 in 6x45. However, if you wanted one, a M70 in .223 could be rebarreled.
    USMC 6638

Banned

Along with the AR 15 I mentioned the 6x45 was at one time a standard chambering in the Kimber, Cooper, Remington XP 100, TC Contender, and the Shultz Larsen. You guys just don't remember is all.

Boolit Master
    I remember. All those you named off are/were semi-custom guns (the xp100 from the custom shop). By wildcat, I meant that it is not a saami cartridge, not that it was never chambered by any manufacturer.
    USMC 6638

I have thought of building one for my kids. You have to have a min. 6mm cal. in WA to hunt Whitetail. Thought it would be a good cartridge for them.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    I remember. All those you named off are/were semi-custom guns (the xp100 from the custom shop). By wildcat, I meant that it is not a saami cartridge, not that it was never chambered by any manufacturer.
    Does this do it for you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6mmx45.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	207473

Boolit Master
    NOV 20–27
    We were unable to find results for "6x45mm ammo"

Try Another Search

Search
    Search Tips

Try using more general search terms.
    Double check your spelling.
    Try using less specific words.
    Try using fewer words.
    or visit our Full Store Directory

Help Us Improve: Did you find what you were looking for? Yes No
    USMC 6638

Yes, I got the info I was looking for, Thanks for the help.

The good news is I can still play with what I have.
    I just had some changes in my work and my pay, it looks like I'm back on a budget, I had several thousand to play with when I started this post but I'm going to use it for any short falls now, winters are long I Minot ND..