Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody casting 25acp bullets?

Boolit Mold

Anybody casting 25acp bullets?

I'd like to reload these little buggers, but bullets are almost impossible to find and when you do they are so darned expensive that you might as well buy factory ammo....

Boolit Master

Lots of people. I have seen thr threads. But not I. Someone should see this and offer up advice.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I use an RCBS mold to cast 50gn RN bullets for the .25 acp. It casts just like anything else, just drains the pot slower and requires a more careful preheat of the mold, and I run the alloy about 15-20 degrees hotter than I would for .38's.

I can't say that's the right way, or the only way to do it, but it works for me.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Mold
    I guess I didn't word my question well.

Does anyone here cast and sell 25ACP bullets?

I've found one or two commercial sources but they're around $0.13 - $0.17 apiece in the quantities I would buy. I'm looking for something more economical for small quantities.

With a couple of cents for a primer and a penny for powder, that's $8 - $10 a box of 50. Since I can buy PPU at Cabelas for about $14 a box, it is real hard to consider it worthwhile to reload them to save as little as 4 bucks a box. I need to find some cheaper bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have several molds for .25 ACP. My favorite is this one: https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...p-252-46-hp-pb . Oh, now I see your looking for a vendor.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't, but I'll tell you what . . . I sure admire those that do and that reload those itty bitty little things. I would think they would be a lot of fun but with my older fingers, I'd be fumbling and dropping more than I would be to accomplish any reloading of them - but then - maybe that would give me good exercise bending over a lot to pick 'em up off the floor! LOL

I've always enjoyed reading about those that do as well as seeing photos of their finished products.

Boolit Master

The topic is the very reason I bought molds and cast boolits. Just can not find projectiles.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Mold
    Another member on another forum posted this link
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-25...p-per-500.html
    I've never bought from them but their price looks a lot better than the others I've looked at....
    Last edited by BC38; 11-06-2017 at 12:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I've been thinking of adding .25 to my casting stable but have been shy because of brass. Anybody know of a reasonable source? Seems there would be a lot of loss at the range - little bitty things are hard to find in the gravel or grass!

Boolit Master
    As to Cases;
    - Magtech sometimes sells .25ACP empty cases, usually .612" long.
    - Privi Partisan sometimes Sells .25ACP empty cases, usually .612" long.
    - Fiocchi sometimes sells .25ACP empty cases And also .25ACP primed cases, usually .612" long.
    - Jagemann Stamping is now selling .25ACP empty cases, one sample of 100 ran about .603"-604" long with measured cases running from 602" to 607" in length. "Midway" is where I bought the Sample lot.
    - Also you need to check the various Companies that sell 'once fired' Brass as I occasionally find .25ACP listed in stock for sale.
    - I have bought occasional G.F.L. (Fiocchi) head stamped Nickel plated Primed Brass in 250 case lots. These Ran About .612" long. They were off the "Gun Auctions" Web site.

As to Bullets;
    - Hunters Supply Casts and sells .25 ACP size 48 Grain Bullets.
    - Matt's Bullets Casts and sells Lyman mold #257420 65 Grain .257" bullets that size down to .251". I just received a shipment of them (1000) and will Size them as I need them.
    - NOE Moulds ran a special on 260" (.257 Cal) bullet Mold and has a Group buy available for RD TC255-50-RF 50 grain Bullet Molds. This is a Tumble lube design for Sizing to SAAMI Spec or CIP Standard .25ACP barrels.
    - The earlier RD TC256-50-RF is designed to fit Taurus Barrels that are larger dimensions than SAAMI Spec. (a Jacketed 35 grain bullet will show "Daylight" between the Grooves and the Bullet).

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-09-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the info, Chev. I have a couple CZs that I need to slug. Still pondering the cost/fun factor.

Boolit Master
    Here in Canada I offer the .251" Lyman 50 grain bullet for sale, I did try it in my .25 cal. PCP air gun and it wasn't very accurate and vel. was too low.

Boolit Master
    Mr. Chambers,
    Did you "Slug" your PCP air gun and measure its Bore and Groove diameters? I have a suspicion that it has roughly .250" bore and roughly .257" Groove diameters.
    A .251" diameter bullet is not going to seal that much space without a Powder Charge to "slap it in the backside" to expand the diameter to fill out the Barrel diameters.

What is the Lyman number of the ".251" Lyman 50 grain bullet" you have for sale?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-11-2017 at 02:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    The bore is .251" and not the std. .257 of cf. rifles, I believe that the bullet was too heavy and slow in my PCP........mold # is 252435 for the Lyman .251" 51 gr. RN PB.

Boolit Master
    MT Chambers,
    You might try a few cast from nearly Pure Lead to be as soft as possible for your air rifle.
    You Indicate the ones you tried were not accurate, but did not say at what range and what dispersion you were seeing. Would you add Details in your future posts?
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The real reason I don't cast for the 25 auto is the dang high cost of molds for these little boolits. Every mold I see offered is so highly priced I walk away from it. Now if Lee were to offer this diameter... Since I already cast .224 boolits for various centerfire rifles the 25's would be about the same for ease (the polite way to say difficulty) of handling. I have been buying and loading factory condom bullets for the 25 auto for a few years. Not a lot, but enough to enjoy and also amaze other folks on the range. I get a lot of "you reloaded THAT cartridge - WHY??" out of them. My usual reply is "because I can" which explains a lot about my casting/reloading activities anyway. Because I can.

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 252435. It drops about 52g.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    The real reason I don't cast for the 25 auto is the dang high cost of molds for these little boolits. Every mold I see offered is so highly priced I walk away from it. Now if Lee were to offer this diameter... Since I already cast .224 boolits for various centerfire rifles the 25's would be about the same for ease (the polite way to say difficulty) of handling. I have been buying and loading factory condom bullets for the 25 auto for a few years. Not a lot, but enough to enjoy and also amaze other folks on the range. I get a lot of "you reloaded THAT cartridge - WHY??" out of them. My usual reply is "because I can" which explains a lot about my casting/reloading activities anyway. Because I can.
    Have you looked at the NOE molds Group buy for the Ranch Dog design TL255-50-RF bullet molds? Also "Graf & Sons" currently has both PPU empty Brass and 50 grain bullets in stock.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Mold
    GT Bullets has a nice 50 grain Hollow point. Sized .258
    I use It in my 257 Jackrabbit.

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone needs them try https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/price-sheet I shoot their bullets in other calibers up to 1350fps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast