Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does powder coat randomly go bad?

The trick to HF is to use as little as necessary and not to reuse the powder. I tried using too much, then reusing the stuff kept stored in a ziplock bag or in the #5 container and the results get worse and worse. If I dumped it all out then used fresh powder even if it is from a container I bought and have been using for a couple of years, the results were great.

My HF vibratory tumbler has been reaching the end of it's life after 8 years and over 100k cases so I bought a new one when it was on sale + coupon, but I found that I could still milk some more life out of the old one with some tricks. So I've been using the new one to shake a 1 Gallon Ziplock bag full of bullets and powder and the results are very good. Just be sure to shake the bag a few more times after you pull it out of the tumbler. It looks like the charge is still built up, but the additional circulation of powder allows it to stick to the charged lead even better.

I bought some PC from a PC company that purchased way too much for a project 3-4 years ago. They gave me a good price and I bought a pound. I asked how they had stored it and they said keep as much air away from the powder, store it in the house in an air tight container. I took them a can and they double bagged it inside the sealed can. So, moisture and heat seem to be the culpret. On a low humidity day I bag mine, squeezing out as much air as practicle then put in a zip lock bag, again squeezing out as much air as practicle and store it in the house where I am comfortable.

Boolit Master
    I have a 3/4 full tub of HF red that wont stick if I Shake and Bake.
    But it still works if I use it in the HF ES gun.
    But I am going to try and generate some static in it by shaking it up with come chunks of styrofoam before I try to shake and bake with it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12