MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Smelting In the Rain

Boolit Buddy

Smelting In the Rain

Was melting down a batch of wheel weights a couple weeks ago. Had all the clips out then the rain got a bit harder. I was done for the day.

We've all heard the stories where a drop of sweat hits the pot and boom, lead everywhere. I call B.S..

I stood back and let that rain hit the pot. Lots of hissing bit no molten lead explosions. Remember, steam under the molten lead and it will go everywhere. On top.....not so much.

I let this go for a good 20 minutes.

Not that I'm saying to smelt in the rain, just finish up quick.

Yep, water on hot lead sizzles and is gone. Takes water under hot lead to bring the tinsel fairy.

Boolit Master
    Yep water on top of molten lead not a problem. The resulting steam can’t build pressure. It’s like lighting smokeless powder without containment.

If I were to get rain on a smelting job, I would not pour the lead nor put a ladle in it for fear of trapping a rain drop or two under the molten surface.

You did good to just let it go.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    It was sprinkling, not raining. I should clarify.

I then put on some thicker clothing and my mask and decided to pour into the muffin tins.

Don't so that. Had to just pour just a tablespoon in to boil the water all out then filled them out. Lots of popping there.

Boolit Master
    To each his own.
    As I like to say, "in theory, everything works." Luckily you didn't get a cloudburst where the drops are a LOT bigger, or some hail. THAT might have been a different story.
    Last edited by JSnover; 11-04-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    Plumbers use to smelt and caulk joints with lead in the rain all the time -- no problem, water under hot lead -- big problem.

Boolit Master
    So in this particular situation, it'd be the moisture in the mold, not on top of the melt, that's the invitation to the tinsel fairy?

I'm asking because it's getting into the wet season out my way, and I have lead I'd like to ingotize. I can cast out of doors but under cover if need be.
    Last edited by kevin c; 11-04-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Yes a drop of water in a mold and you will have lead in your face, a drop falling in the smelt just sizzles on top because it isn't trapped. I have dripped sweat into the smelt with no problems for example but I make sure I do not drip sweat into a mold.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    So in this particular situation, it'd be the moisture in the mold, not on top of the melt, that's the invitation to the tinsel fairy?

I'm asking because it's getting into the wet season out my way, and I have lead I'd like to ingotize. I can cast out of doors but under cover if need be.

if you ever do get hit by the tinsel fairy you will not forget her any time soon or even years later she hit me once and threw me for about 10 ft and that pot was empty when I looked in it after it happened is there power in that steam explosion you can bet there is and a lot of it I was lucky I had on long sleeve shirt and long pants I had to get a hair cut and shave my beard off I had lead all over me and had to buy a new pair of glasses so the hole point of this story is DON'T GET WATER AROUND WHERE YOU ARE MELTING LEAD and that is what I have to say about this subject D Crockett

Boolit Master
    Drop a wet bullet into the mix,and you will know the tinsel fairy.The worst shower I ever had was putting a bundle of very small bore lead tubes in the melt.Looked clean ,but everyone must have been plugged with mud and water.Now I just start with them,they sizzle away,and sometimes pop,but no shower.Lead tinsels never hurts,but you get cocky with melting bronze,different story.Serious burns thru thick leather coats and gloves.

Boolit Buddy
    Once you experience a steam explosion you will avoid them like the plague. Always wear glasses or goggles.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I used to preheat scraps in a 10# melting pot next to the main pot, once I was sure they were up to temperature then pour them into the main pot. Gradual heating doesn't attract the tinsel fairy.

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others have said, water on lead is no problem. Water in the ingot mold will be a problem. Bugs or bird droppings offer no problem either. Now, a big White Oak Acorn can cause some excitement! So would hail! I would have quit as soon as the rain started just because of moisture in the mold or ladle. I'm Thankful for having a shop large enough to smelt in and enough ventilation to do so safely.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I was just reading that water expands 1700 times its volume when changes into vapor. As long as its not under everything should be good but get one drop under that surface and you'll get an idea why steam locomotives were discovered

Yeah and if I'm pouring with a ladle and into a mold.... nope too much risk of rain getting on those implements. Have experienced a ladle with "recoil" when put in the melt, not interested in doing it again.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat