RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Deer scents,,,,,,bug repellants,,,,,,,can they smell it,,,,?????

Boolit Master

Deer scents,,,,,,bug repellants,,,,,,,can they smell it,,,,?????

Can deer smell bug repellant and bust you out?
    I use a Thermacell, and I believe it better to have a thermacell than to sit there an be swatting mosquitos.
    I have killed deer with my thermacell running.

but how about deet? that is the most popular type bug spray, whether it spray, liquid, roll on , etc.
    I been using deet mostly this year, and so far I am empty handed with the deer.

Anybody else can chime in on bug sprays (killers, deterrents) ??

I think a deer can smell a flea fart,,now with that said, not all smells spook them. Can't swear about deet but I set more cigarettes down to pull the trigger than I can count. The Thermacells are great, have had deer within 15 feet and no issues. I believe it has to do with what the game is accustomed to year round.. Just my .02

Boolit Master

I am allergic to Deet. I just cover head to toe in some type of cloth and suffer through it. Little buggers get bad in the swamps. If I can smell it, the deer sure as hell can smell it. I have this one stuff, Permetherin, you treat your clothes with it and it last for 3 months. Its bad for pets while wet, then dry its only bad for cats so I only treat a face mask, necker chief, gloves and calf section of the pants. I use the clothing then it goe back in the tupaware container with pine branches. Works pretty good and everything dies when it lands on you and doesn't smell or required butane. Spray on and the treatment last for months through the washer.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I actually use the Permethrin to rejuvenate my Thermacell pads,,works great.. I'm cheap BTW also refill my butane bottles.

Boolit Man
    Deer definitely smell deet! That being said. You can’t always sit by a thermicell. I have used bug spray. Usually it’s the time of year when it’s hot and you are sweating like a pig anyway. So they are going to smell you.
    In one particular hunt I can recall both my friend and I wearing bug spray. When we got back to the pickup he told me that he had arrowed a nice buck. Then we discussed how we had some deer come down wind and the acted confused when they winded us. Just stomping and then continuing down their path. Worked great in that instance.
    Next time they might blow out to the next county!!!

Haven't tried Thermacell, but I was immediately busted (long story), when applying deet a few years back so I don't use it anymore. I carry a small bottle with me for "moral support" during early season but won't use it unless tracking after a shot. Haven't seen any studies on the subject but a good question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.