MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been a Win Mod 70 fan for almost as long as I have been hunting
    My first was a push feed 280 Remington and later I bought a 7-08 compact crf
    being not very thrilled with either cartridge I turned the 280 rem into a 280 Ackley Improved with a new barrel from Pac-Nor and the 7-08 I stripped that barrel and put on another Pac-Nor barrel chambered in 358 win
    I still have both and together they have accounted for numerous game animals
    I have always wanted a 375 H&H in a model 70 you should do well with yours
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I received an M70 375 Super Grade about 1993, give or take a couple. FN ran the plant, a friend worked in the model shop and got a great deal on one. Fit, finish and everything else about the rifle is very good. I've shot only jacketed thus far, only with the open sights.

I've a Rem 700 375 safari grade also, gunshow find from years back, shot mostly low vel cast thru it, prolly 38-55 equivalent, shot 1.6 MOA at 100 yds, the only distance available then. The rifle was scoped.

There's some replies mentioning weight and feel of the piece, the weight wasn't an issue on my end, but I didn't lug one around for days like some others here may have. They shot well because of some extra weight, recoil wasn't an issue for me.

If you can handle one, see how the sights line up for you, if scope mounting then it being drilled and tapped will mean more to you. You wouldn't want to D&T a clean pre 64 M70 if you could avoid it, me thinks.

Luck on your search, 30cf.

Boolit Master

I have one and like it a lot. You should get one. Beware- I have read that the very first release of these the barrels were too thin for 375 and would bulge. Just stick that away for later. If your looking..

Boolit Master
    six-bits. I like it. never thought of it that way.
    Well then, I got a 6-bit Ruger in the closet

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinidad Bill View Post
    Crash... good to hear some feedback on the modern FN Model 70s. Personally I prefer the appearance of the Alaskan over the Safari, however the Safari seems to have more stoutness (dual recoil lugs, cross bolts, barrel sling swivel) built in to handle the heavier loads.

I have seen pictures of some Alaskans with dual cross bolts but I believe the current model only has one. From the literature on the Alaskan I assume it has one recoil lug. I am not sure any of that detracts from the Alaskan.

Has the front sling swivel on the Alaskan ever given you a problem while shooting the .375 H&H?

The post 93 FN Model 70s intrigue me. Is there any way to tell from the serial number that a Model 70 was manufactured by FN post 93?
    No Problems with the front swivel stud, and, not so sure about pre or post 93's. Gotta be something out here in web land though?
    I have 2 crossbolts on my rifle, and yes on the 1 recoil lug also.
    crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

There is not much out there in web land to find post 93 serial number except... the 800 number for Winchester Guns. I had a serial number of a Model 70 Classic Express, if you followed the typical table that is out on the web the serial number would indicated it was manufactured in 1984. I called Winchester, quick easy call, the Classic Express was manufactured in 1997!

http://www.winchesterguns.com/suppor...r-firearm.html
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12