Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Reforming 30-30 brass

Boolit Buddy

Reforming 30-30 brass

Just read in the "Helping Hands" forum section about reforming 30-30 brass to 38-55. Can I then in another operation reform those into 32-40? I now reform 38-55 into 32-40 and they come out just perfect.

Boolit Master

I would not go from 30-30 to 38-55 then down to 32-40, just straight to 32-40. not sure how your doing this, but you need an extra step

d

Boolit Buddy
    I make my 32-40 from Star-Line 38-55 2.08 it ends up at 2..110-2.115 after forming and I don't need to trim much if any.
    WW

Boolit Grand Master
    I just push the .30-30 brass through the .32-40 die and get a useable .32-40 brass. A bit short but I've observed no performance issues. Cheaper by far than new .32-40 brass.

Been doing the same thing for years and the slightly short brass length doesn't hurt accuracy especially with coarse open sights and my old eyes. About 2 years ago I broke down and bought a Kal Max case stretcher with the dies to lengthen fire-formed straight .30-30 cases to full length .38-55 and .32-40 cases along with the dies to stretch .45-70 cases to .45-90, and a 3rd set of dies to stretch blown straight .303 British cases to .35 WCF. Still a back burner project that I have to get to since as usual life has gotten in the way and delayed my best intentions ...

http://kal.castpics.net/CaseStretcher.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGzQsrPT4Qs
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I have Made 32/40 From 30/30. . The Trick is to Neck up first to Get rid of The shoulder.. annealing is necessary. . Several Neck Up steps, 32, 33, 35.
    Once the shoulder Is sort of Gone. form to 32/40. but your case will be a little short
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Haven't done it, but a quick look at the difference between 30/30 and 32/40 I think I would run them through the 30/40 die without the decapping/ neck expander then fire form to your chamber. Full length size/neck size normally then anneal. I'd anneal last to weed out any shaky cases.

Boolit Master
    I've formed .32-40 brass from .30-30 in one step but the procedure needs to be done slowly and carefully so as to not ruin the cases. They come out short but work fine using same data as regular .32-40 brass. Anneal if you wish, but I never found it necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I've formed .32-40 brass from .30-30 in one step but the procedure needs to be done slowly and carefully so as to not ruin the cases. They come out short but work fine using same data as regular .32-40 brass. Anneal if you wish, but I never found it necessary.
    I agree annealing is not necessary, but I think I get longer case life if I anneal, especially on thin necked brass like 30-30.