Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: LBC Sabot Range results (video)

LBC Sabot Range results (video)

Some members on my Facebook buck and slug page had been asking about how accurate the LBCSabot slugs at a 100 yards, so BPI was kind enough to send me a package to try.

First thing I did when I got the pa jags was load up 3, 3.5” Federal s with 60 grs of Longshot. Yes you read right. Straight out of their slug manual. Published velocity was 2150 fps.

Next, I loaded 41 grs of Longshot followed by 24.6 grs of a Red Dot and 26 grs of Green Dot.

The results really surprised me. BTW, this is my first YouTube vid and it sucks filming and shooting at the same time.

What do y’all think?
    https://youtu.be/yvs9AKmgTok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Great vid. Subscribed to your channel. Keep 'em coming!
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

i subcribed as well

Boolit Grand Master

I could understand the inaccuracy with 60 grains of Longshot, that is a push! I was surprised by your results with 41 grains. I have shot quite a few in my USH in a 3" fiocchi with 50 grains (although I like 45 grains better), and get groups like you had with red dot and green dot. I do know Taofledermaus had issues just like you did with the wad falling off, and have to wonder if it isn't a quality control issue. The only other thing I might do different is that I seat each slug at 80# of seating pressure in my MEC. I cut the cusion section of a 20 gauge AA wad, and put that in the drop tube to protect the slug. I notice that maybe 1 in 10 slug seated this way pop as they fully seat on the stem.

I have found that all my slug designs would shoot more accurate with the faster powders from a smooth bore gun, probably due to the higher muzzle pressure of the slow powders pushing the wad/slug out of line the first few inches out of the barrel. On the other hand I would have wad set-back and sometimes slug/wad sepatation at lower speeds than with slow powders due to the 'kick start'.

It's all a matter of finding the right balance between speed and accuracy, but like you said, 1400 fps is more than enough and I would go for the most accurate load anytime.

Interesting to see that the use of 2.75" shells in a 3.5" chamber doesn't seem to affect accuracy. I noticed the same thing shooting 2.5" shells in my 3.5" Beretta. The long LBC wad clearly does a good job of keeping the slug centered.
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    Great vid. Subscribed to your channel. Keep 'em coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    i subcribed as well
    Thanks guys. I promise, they’ll get better!

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I could understand the inaccuracy with 60 grains of Longshot, that is a push! I was surprised by your results with 41 grains. I have shot quite a few in my USH in a 3" fiocchi with 50 grains (although I like 45 grains better), and get groups like you had with red dot and green dot. I do know Taofledermaus had issues just like you did with the wad falling off, and have to wonder if it isn't a quality control issue. The only other thing I might do different is that I seat each slug at 80# of seating pressure in my MEC. I cut the cusion section of a 20 gauge AA wad, and put that in the drop tube to protect the slug. I notice that maybe 1 in 10 slug seated this way pop as they fully seat on the stem.
    I talked to Jeff about that when he mentioned that in his video. That will definitely causes inaccuracies for sure. That could be why I shot over the backstop when shooting the 60 grainer. I seated this slugs at 70lbs. Maybe I should try 45 grains next.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    I have found that all my slug designs would shoot more accurate with the faster powders from a smooth bore gun, probably due to the higher muzzle pressure of the slow powders pushing the wad/slug out of line the first few inches out of the barrel. On the other hand I would have wad set-back and sometimes slug/wad sepatation at lower speeds than with slow powders due to the 'kick start'.

It's all a matter of finding the right balance between speed and accuracy, but like you said, 1400 fps is more than enough and I would go for the most accurate load anytime.

Interesting to see that the use of 2.75" shells in a 3.5" chamber doesn't seem to affect accuracy. I noticed the same thing shooting 2.5" shells in my 3.5" Beretta. The long LBC wad clearly does a good job of keeping the slug centered.
    I’m starting to think the whole “slug jump” is a farce. Half of my reloads are 2.75” and the shoot just fine. My savage 220 shoots 2.75” better than 3”.

However, with this particular slug, I wouldn’t load it in a 2.75” hull again. If you noticed, I didn’t have enough “meat” for what I would considered a proper roll crimp.

Super impressive results! Subscribed for sure!

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting you mention chamber length and short shells. I've noticed that my 3.5" mossberg really doesn't like any fiber-wad slugs in 2 3/4 shells. Brennekes are ok, and sabots are ok in 2 3/4" but switching from 2 3/4 fosters to 3" fosters seems to tighten up groups 20-30%.

Boolit Master

Those Red Dot loads look like a real winner!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pashiner View Post
    Interesting you mention chamber length and short shells. I've noticed that my 3.5" mossberg really doesn't like any fiber-wad slugs in 2 3/4 shells. Brennekes are ok, and sabots are ok in 2 3/4" but switching from 2 3/4 fosters to 3" fosters seems to tighten up groups 20-30%.
    I've also thought about the 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber accuracy. I reload slugs only in 3" hulls, it's just one less variable. On the other side, some of the most accurate factory ammo comes from their 2 3/4" version. Bullet jump is certainly a bad thing, any rifle shooter knows that. I think the thing here is that even a 3" in a 3" chamber, the forcing cone used on shotguns doesn't support the slug at all, so there is no noticeable difference. I've always thought if you put a real throat in a slug gun, accuracy could be much better.

LBC Sabot Range results (video)

Quote Originally Posted by pashiner View Post
    That’s your problem. 835’s are back-bored (overbored) and shoots slugs poorly, not to mention Mossberg don’t recommend firing slugs through them for safety issues. Fosters in a rifled barrel is a no-go, too.

I suppose slug in wad may be different

Banned

They make slug barrels for the 835. They are not overbored like the bird barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    They make slug barrels for the 835. They are not overbored like the bird barrel.
    I know. I have one. In the very beginning, I didn’t know anything about sabots. Could never get foster slugs to work.

Banned

Whats funny my uncle uses the bird barrel for deer hunting every since it first came out. He shoots a deer every year. But he keeps his shots under 40 yds