Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Old Vise: Question

Boolit Master

Old Vise: Question

I just bought a 1946 Delta drill press that came with an odd vise made by the Armstrong Bro Tool Co in Chicago. I found an image online that identifies the vise as the "Armstrong Quick Action Drill Vise."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vise_3353.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	207212

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vise_3354.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	207213

So far as I can tell, large changes in jaw width must be done by loosening the two bottom screws and sliding the top portion into an approximate position. Then the bottom screws need to be tightened.

Fine adjustments then are done by turning the handle. It also seems that by pushing down on the handle the jaws can be even more firmly locked. However, the handle does not remain in the down position, so you would have to maintain the downward pressure. This does not seem to be very convenient.

Additionally, the drill press table is quite large and the clamping projections on the vise are pretty small. Is there a clamp that would have a depth deep enough to clamp this vise?

Does anyone know anything more about this vise, or this type, that would be helpful for me to know?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Last edited by RG1911; 11-04-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Typo
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Does anyone know anything more about this vise, or this type, that would be helpful for me to know?
    Yes - if you got rid of the rust on it - it would work better
    Regards
    John

Banned
    Are you sure it is not a cam type locking mechanism? If it is so the screws on the bottom would not need to be loosened every time. You could set the bottom screws to less than snug so you could barely slide the vise jaws and pulling the lever down would tighten the screws then tighten the jaws. But this is speculation I have no first hand knowledge of that particular vise.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Are you sure it is not a cam type locking mechanism? If it is so the screws on the bottom would not need to be loosened every time. You could set the bottom screws to less than snug so you could barely slide the vise jaws and pulling the lever down would tighten the screws then tighten the jaws. But this is speculation I have no first hand knowledge of that particular vise.
    Shall give that a try. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Yes - if you got rid of the rust on it - it would work better
    Sigh.

Boolit Grand Master

A set of strap clamps will hold that vise tight and secure any where you need it. A flat bar ( 3/8" thick 1" wide and 3"-4" long) with a slot for adjustment and a block or adjusting screw on the back. set nose on vise and bar level between vise and adjusting screw. then tighten down with bolt in slot. the closer bolt is to vise the better. For some work a pin thru the table to set the vise against so it cant grab and spin works also.

When set correctly the handle is loosened a little lifted and slide back to remove part then slid against part and a quick twist to tighten. This saved cranking the jaws in and out all the way for different size pieces. Watch over tightening that vise as the threads pressures can "spring" it out of square.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    The vice is designed so the moving jaw slides ,the two screws and the plate on the underside are to hold the sliding jaw in place .Once it cleaned up it should function perfectly .Nice pick up btw.

That is a tool maker vise.....mostly used on grinders or delicate milling jobs.....I own one lime that, plus 3 or 4 others.....they work well, if properly cared for....those visas were meant to held with a magnetic chuck or with toe clamps....sometimes I hold them in another large vise or with a set of shaper clamps, the bosses on the ends are for clamping the vise down......run a stone over the bottom once in a while to keep it clean of burs and chips

Nice vise

Aaron

Boolit Master
    dont force it it was not made to do hard /heavy drilling and needs to be cleaned after use

Boolit Master
    Many thanks to all for the information and suggestions. I'll disassemble it and clean it thoroughly and see how it works.

Cheers,
    Richard