Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first CB deer

Congrats on your cb kill. That's a perfect size deer for eating.
    Yep...your hooked for sure on cbs now.

That's a fine 30/30 you have!

Boolit Master
    I spent yesterday afternoon loading up 30 with my Accurate 31-180Q over 28 grs. of H4895 to shoot in my 788. Now I'm at work and far from my woods, but I hope to have my own thread with a .30-30 kill sometime this season. Congratulations on your deer! And nice rifle too! Yours makes me want one just like it!
    USMC 6638

Banned

http://huberconcepts.com/product/mauser-trigger/

these triggers are worth a look also.
    I put one on my BRNO Mauser in 25-06 and will be replacing my XCB trigger with one as well as the Daughters type 99 Arisaka.

that's a nice rifle, and a perfect caliber for it.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your cast bullet deer. Very little difference between a jacketed bullet & a cast bullet in the 30/30 if it's made correctly.

Dick

My wife & I are back in the blind this morning enjoying life and waiting to see if a doe or even a big buck shows up. Life is good.
    I'm the oldest guy on the lease and the younger guys don't fathom my choice of guns since their 15 # AR 10s with gadgets are superior. I occasionally drag out one of my AR 15s but usually go with my first love- a lightweight bolt action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    congrats on the deer very nice never seen or heard of 30-30 in a bolt before

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    No, it's more modern than the action by 2 years! I have never seen a deer get far after a shot of 30-30. Ever.
    On the Barrel Works forum in Gunsmithing tricks is my old thread. I can post some pics since those are gone now.
    I always wanted a bolt 30-30, but Win 54s and Rem 788s have eluded me. I like this gun. I just got lucky.
    Thomas

That's a nice rifle. I had a .30-30 788 for a while, but sold it off because, odd as it sounds< I like my Savage 340 better for most things. No doubt the 788 would be a better shooter, though the little Savage is no slouch. Ain't the .30-30 great? How much work was it to get the magazine to feed the rimmed cartridges?

Nice deer, buy the way. Glad it worked out so well for you.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I want to try my .358 but my doctor won"t let me yet because of the recoil. That's why the 30-30 has the Limbsaver on it. Thanks for the complements- Props to hp drifter for the stock work; I Did thd rest except rethreading the barrel- my brother's shop did that. It's fast becoming a favorite.

Good thing you had a note from the doctor, or I would have had to razz you!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Haha! My .358 with full loads shooting left handed hurts my repaired right shoulder! My CB load is still a little stout with a 217gr going 2000 fps in my 7 lb m700. I've got till January to work up to it but I sure want to!

Thanks for the link runfiverun. I'm getting the urge to re do some old bubba'd Mauser if I find one. I'll give the Hubers a look.
    Thomas

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the success! You did right fine with meat on the meat pole, used a rifle that ya worked on to make it special to you, CBs & cartridges that ya made yourself, and did it with a shoulder that was recently operated on... That Shines & Finest Kind!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Congrats!!! Great shot and beautiful rifle.

take that back leg and put in a smoker for about 8 to 10 hr with some everglades seasoning and and it will be so tender you can cut it with a fork yum yum yum D Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    I spent yesterday afternoon loading up 30 with my Accurate 31-180Q over 28 grs. of H4895 to shoot in my 788. Now I'm at work and far from my woods, but I hope to have my own thread with a .30-30 kill sometime this season. Congratulations on your deer! And nice rifle too! Yours makes me want one just like it!
    I'm going to try your load with the 150 gr. I fell into some H4895!
    I called the butcher yesterday & asked him to recover the boolit,please....

Boolit Master

Congratulations! Hope you get some more deer!

I really like that Mauser in 30/30. Wouldn't that also be a cool set-up for the 30/40 cartridge!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Way to go on that deer. I know getting them with a home poured bullet is mighty satisfying and now you know too. Yep, you are hooked for sure.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Congratulations! Hope you get some more deer!

I really like that Mauser in 30/30. Wouldn't that also be a cool set-up for the 30/40 cartridge!
    The Siamese Mauser is a good one for the 30-40. I bought one through the mail for $19 in 1977 and put a McGowan 30-40 barrel on it and fit a Bishop stock to it in the VoAg shop in my high school!

Boolit Master
    I'm going to try your load with the 150 gr. I fell into some H4895!
    I called the butcher yesterday & asked him to recover the boolit,please....
    Let us know how it works.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Man

Howdy Texas,

What is the purpose of the Allen-head screw tapped into the rear of the magazine follower on your Mauser?

Is it there to help locate the head of the shorter .30-30 cartridge in the larger magazine well originally intended for a longer cartridge such as the 7x57 Mauser? If so, I can see how it would help position the first round loaded in the magazine, but how would it effect the remaining rounds stuffed into the magazine on top of the first?

Need I say it. I'm confused.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Cary, as you know the 30-30 is a rimmed cartridge and the 7x57 is rimless. The follower was previously tapered on top but it still rises up enough to hold the bolt open. I installed the limit screw to stop the rim of the first round from sliding off the back end of the follower. Additional rounds then stack on the previous round. I have found a limit of three rounds to work well.
    I plan to buy an original follower to mount the limit screw farther back for more OAL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast