Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: One of my favorite quotes from the master

One of my favorite quotes from the master

Now it is pleasant to hunt something that you want very much over a long period of time, being outwitted, out-maneuvered, and failing at the end of each day, but having the hunt and knowing every time you are out that, sooner or later, your luck will change and that you will get the chance that you are seeking. But it is not pleasant to have a time limit by which you must get your kudu or perhaps never get it, nor even see one. It is not the way hunting should be. —Green Hills of Africa
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Substitute kudu for whitetail deer here in America.

Too many deer hunters feel they have to get a deer no matter what or how. They'll shoot at anything that makes a noise or moves.

You need to enjoy the hunt more than the kill.
    Last edited by Hickory; 11-05-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    You got that right, Hickory.

Boolit Master
    Such is so true. I should be strong enough to hunt with my son a time or two this season. For a while we didn't know if I'd live long enough....the hunt is what's important, a kill is a gift.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    That'll do Thumb, that'll do indeed,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Substitute kudu for whitetail deer here in America.

Too many deer hunters feel they have to get a deer no matter what or how. They'll shoot at anything that makes a noise or moves.

You need to enjoy the hunt more than the kill.
    Or a mature blacktail buck.

The time spent making memories with friends or family or just the solitude of one's own self in the wild is the most pleasurable part of the hunt,the kill if it comes is just a bonus.

Great thought, it seems the older I get the less I focus on the kill and more on the experience. Now I wander the woods and when I encounter deer maneuver for a shot and sometimes get my sights on one and squeeze the trigger without cocking the rifle, whispering "pow" then slip away unnoticed. I call it "gotcha" and when I come home there is no blood on my hands or deer to deal with. my wife asks "see anything?" and I answer "yeah, I shot five of 'em", she is so used to the stories that now she doesn't even stop knitting and says " oh great", holds her glass up and says "be a sweetie and pour me some more cabernet, thanks". That's real hunting, and marriage!

I once crawed on my belly with my Rossi 44-40 through 100 yds of tall wet grass to shoot a gobbler at 50 yds. The morning sun was low and in my eyes. When I raised up to make the shot- there stood the old one legged hen we'd watched for a few years raise several broods.
    I busted out laughing and thanked her for the great hunt!
    My cap was the only thing dry on me. It is the experience; not the kill. BTW I picked up a copy of the Hemingway classic in a little book store in Alexandria, Virginia. Old Town, just uphill from the torpedo factory.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just another utopian daydream for most mere mortals. Bills have to be paid and time spent afield works against that reality. Truth is, free venison is likely to be the most expensive meat we ever eat.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Grand Master
    A friend of mine has taken many trophy deer. About three weeks ago, he talked about just sitting in a blind with me and "helping" me. A few days ago when we talked, he said he enjoys the comradarie of deer camp more than the hunt.

It makes you think.
    Don Verna