WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Johnny Cash’s Deer Rifle Goes Hunting

Johnny Cash’s Deer Rifle Goes Hunting

The reference is to “One PieceAt A Time”, Googlable for anyone who doesn’t temper that far back. About ten years ago I came into possession of a “transitional” Shiloh Sharps with a pre-Bryant Big Timber receiver and a Farmingdale barrel chambered in 40-70 Shiloh Bottleneck with so much freebore that even paperpatched bullets could not be made to shoot small groups. It was unscrewed and left in the safe. A few years passed and my gunsmith offered to make me a hunting rifle using that barrel. So I ordered one of the last of the original run of Falling Block Works Model J receivers. By then I was shooting 40-65 Ballard in BPCR so it was an easy choice to use the same reamer to rechamber this barrel after lopping off the original chamber. I had a blade sight and a buckhorn so it should be easy. A good friend heard about the build and donated a partially fit buttstock and buttplate. Another friend donated a piece of straight grain walnut to make a forearm and all the pieces went to the gunsmiths shop. The receiver and barrel were joined, chamber cut and then the wheels came off. Headspace was 0.007” off from one side to the other. Fixtures were made to square the receiver, etc. , and eventually everything was true, square and tight but 3 years and some months had slipped away. Enthusiasm for stock work had gone. So, unfinished stocks were ordered from CPA. My stock finishing friend by Now had been given a very dire diagnosis by his oncologist and did not feel well enough to begin fitting the stocks. At long last and with obvious annoyance, a stockmaker consented to complete the stocks for me. I won’t say who he is since he really does not like to finish Stocks other than those he sells. Nice guy though. While my rifle was away, the donated buttstock and plate were repatriated and put onto another Model J. My rifle arrived completed last week, 4 years from the day we cut the chamber off the barrel to begin a build we hoped to have ready for the 2013 deer season. I can’t see irons well anymore so blocks were fitted and a 2” Unertl scope came out of retirement. Test rounds last weekend proved Wolfgang could really make a quality barrel, 5 of six into one hole and a called flyer cut the edge of the hole at 100 meters. Rifle season opens :30 before sunrise tomorrow and if I get a chance I believe when I pull out the knob all three of them will come on.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Great report! Pics?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Bub
    Lol. Pics for sure!

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe he's waiting to put a deer in the picture?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Maybe he's waiting to put a deer in the picture?
    Putting a dead deer in the picture may be a problem, it’s 90 degrees here and there’s a nearly full moon. Saw two velvet bucks today but saving my tags for a more photogenic prop for the gun. On nearly no cell signal and imgur mobile app so here’s a link to the rifle on my deck railing. https://imgur.com/1JGi5Y2.
    rr2241tx

Boolit Grand Master

Nice!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Beautiful rifle....love it. Good luck with your hunting.

Cryptorchid bucks usually have goofy antlers and don't always clean the velvet off. They do shed them though. If the velvet is still on, they are technically "antlerless" under Texas rules. Nature's own tasty steers. You can see this old boy was a little light in the loafers.
    Last edited by rr2241tx; 11-06-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: more fun with photos...
    rr2241tx

Boolit Master

I have always enjoyed the way you tell stories.
    Must be the Texan in you.
    Beautiful rifle Tom....dale