Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Rapine Bullet Mould

Boolit Buddy

Rapine Bullet Mould

I have a rapine Minie ball bullet mould given to me in a bunch of other stuff. Cleaned it and been trying to determine its value ?
    Size on side of block says "580-515". Very unique method of the base plug design versus Lymans. IClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_112015.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	207181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_112038.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	207182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_112101.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	207183deas please ?

AH ! found some info from Dixie Gun works on this not a rapine but a challenger !
    CHALLENGER BULLET MOULDS w/ HANDLES
    Just the ticket for some hard to find .58 caliber size minie balls. Blocks are
    made of aluminum - heat up quickly and don’t - rust. A steel sprue cutoff plate
    mounted on the top makes casting and sprue removal a breeze. The hollow base
    forming die is mounted with two screws which allows the mould to be opened
    and closed while leaving the forming die in place making casting easier & faster.
    The blocks are clearly marked indicating diameter and grain weight. Handles are
    made of aluminum with wooden grips. All have a hollow base.
    Last edited by SamTexas49; 11-03-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: better info found
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

Boolit Master
    I believe they went out of business a few years ago, I have a few and they work well.....I wouldn't attach. any extra value to this mold, prolly worth as much as any good con. used mold($40 or so).

Boolit Master
    Ray made some really good molds in his day and that's one of his early ones but he retired about 10 years ago.
    Like MT said they bring about 40 bucks in nice condition new in the box ones bring a little bit more if they are a popular bullet style.

Looks like it may be a stake cutter design.
    You might give some good views of the cavity and post on a skermisher site.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I agree with 1Hawkeye. I remember these molds well. I never had one but knew others that did and they worked fine. Personally, I much prefer the Ideal/Lyman with the removable base pin - just depends on a person's preference. If it is a .580 then it will probably drop pretty much that and the 515 should indicate a 515 grain boolit. Being .580, for most rifled muskets it's going to have to be sized down. I have a Remington Zouave with a .583 bore and that size mold probably would work O.K. with it "as dropped". While they were well made and decent molds, I personally don't consider them as anything "special" and as Hawkeye indicated, it would probably bring about as much as what used minie ball molds bring on the average. Right now, I've seen Lymans and Ideals sell for $35 or so on fleabay depending on the number of bidders. The base pin design really isn't that "unique" - same as Rapine, Lee, etc. as well as a couple of Italian brands. When everything is "working" as it should and the mold is up to heat and there is no "base pin sticking' - then they usually work just fine. When things aren't working perfectly and the cast boolit gets hung up/sticks for some reason, they can be a PIA. That's the primary reason I have always preferred the Lyman/Ideal with the removable base pin. It is all steel, retains the heat well and you can give the base pin a quick twist and remove after your pour, cut the sprue and drop in a hurry to continue the next cycle. But those opinions are just based on my own personal experiences and may vary from what others have had or like.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember them on Dixie GW site a few years back. They were on clearance. Must be right after they shut down. I thought about getting one but most left were in odd sizes that I couldn't use.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy

Well it is as you describe " a stake cutter" . I had a guy try and sway me with that old dixie ad where it showed them $10 each.
    I have one more photo I can postClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_112053.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	207240
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

If anybody wants to go deer hunting that's a by golly WFN.
    A steak cutter!

Super Moderator

..............Several years ago a pal advised me that DGW had some MLer SC moulds they were clearing out. I checked it out and there were several variations, mainly 58 cal 'Minie' type. I ordered 6 different weights. Four of them were massive FN types. Basically a 58 cal Minie' with a full bore diameter FN. The heaviest was 610 grs. The 2 that were 'Normal' type Minie' bullets were much lighter. One was 315 grs, and the other was 410 grs. I've never used any of them yet, and really have no use for the FN versions. The captured core pin was nice. I have no idea of their longevity, as mentioned I've never used one yet. I mention longevity as the two steel alignment pins are fairly small in diameter and the receiving holes in the opposing block are not bushed.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance