WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes

Coyotes

We'd been talking about the coyotes over lunch and driving back from town I said something to the effect of if I was to go after coyotes what kind of muzzleloader should I take. And the better 2/3's said "Maybe you might have to buy one."
    So now she's got me thinking on it. That barrel to shoot .41 mag molds is sounding more and more like something I need to look at.

Boolit Master
    i would think a 45 or 50 cal. fast movin roundball signed by the roadrunner would be appropriate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    i would think a 45 or 50 cal. fast movin roundball signed by the roadrunner would be appropriate.
    That would be right. Some years back I tried 45 Cal sabots using a 9mm round nose lead boolit and found them to be extremely accurate on coyotes to as far as I could get a sight picture with iron sights. Now I just use speedy 45 PRB since I can't see as well.

Boolit Master

round here you would get skunked with a muzzleloader, need to get out to 300 yards and fast if you want to have a chance. would be fun to try though, good luck.

Boolit Master
    Being you guys are talking coyotes, do you call them in & how close can you get them to you?
    I wound love trying my hand at that.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Have called them within 50 yards bidding in a cedar bush, with the proper wind direction and the shooter seating very still they can come in real close sometimes. Have shot a few with a muzzle loader down around Larado some years back along a pipeline right of way. Still hunt them but now use a Ar-15 with a scope. Will be hunting this weekend with my son and grandson, hope my 9 year old grandson gets his first deer this weekend. Spent last weekend at the gun range with my grandson practicing shooting a bolt gun. He got good accuracy and was not bothered by the recoil. This Saturday is opening day of deer season in Texas where we hunt.

Banned
    Fly,

Fwiw, a guy from Kerrville TX in mid-SEP literally called a coyote INTO his blind. = Shot the 'yote GYD with a .22LR revolver at "near contact range".

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master
    That yote must have been in love or very hungry.

Boolit Master

ours have been so hunted they will hardly come to a call, even a dead animal will only bring them in at night.

Banned

The coyote came in to a "bleating fawn" recording, according to the hunter.

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    I've gone out a few times with the calls. Each time I had a coyote come to within 30-40 yards. I'd like to think it was my calling but maybe they were just stupid coyotes!

Gonna try these in the .40.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paper patched.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	207211

Boolit Grand Master
    Callin' 'em in .......now that's huntin'. Way to go.

Vendor Sponsor

but do they taste like chicken
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I set out an electronic caller crosswind about 50 yds out. It is not unusual to have them closer than the caller if I let them get that close. 50-150 yd. shots are the norm.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've seen 'em on the farm in Michigan but those that I've spotted have always been 200 to 300 yards out and very wary. We had 'em bed down in the woods at night behind our old house and there was no mistaking their howling at night, but I have never had the opportunity to see one up close back there to where I could get a shot. I guess some have good luck trapping them though.

Out here in AZ, they seem to be bigger (maybe 'cause I see them up closer than at home?) . We've seen them across the road from our house here and they are no more than 25 yards away coming through the desert - but unfortunatly we aren't in an area where you can shoot. They look much better out here - or I guess I should say "healthier" - probably form a steady diet of rabbits and quail. Back in Michigan, those that I've seen look pretty mangy.

I'm guessing that a patched RB in a 45 or 50 would be the berries if within good shooting range.

Boolit Master

A friend had a small bottle of Anise oil in his pocket. This is the sweet smelling oil that some licorice is made from. It covers the human sent and attracts animals. He was out hunting and was looking over a field hoping to see something. He kept hearing something that sounded like a dog sniffing and when he looked down there was a coyote pup smelling his pocket where the oil bottle was.

Boolit Grand Master
    get em close a muzzleloader will work just fine
    round here long shots aren't uncommon but most a ml close
    best o luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

WOW what a great idea hunting coyote with a ML wish I were in a place to where I could do that I think my 50 or my 58 cal would work just fine doing that D Crockett

Boolit Master
    A .40 cal round ball with about 45 to 50grs of 3fg ought to do a good job without too much pelt damage. I know 40 to 45grs does a great job on groundhogs and foxes. They kinda shudder & fall over and when hit just right it knocks them down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast