WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coyotes

Boolit Master
    From what I've encountered hunting yotes. I don't think you'll have much luck hunting them with a B/P firearm. Call or no call. Coyote are a little curious and sometimes bold but very suspicious of everything they consider unusual. The best way I found is to glass open fields for em before attempting to hunt. {where they are they are regular in seeing.} Where they aren't you'll soon get bored with waiting for one to come into your vision.
    Although I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post

Being you guys are talking coyotes, do you call them in & how close can you get them to you?

I wound love trying my hand at that.

A few years ago, when calling in a medium-to-thick brushy area, I had one sneak up in back of me - to about 7 yards away, before I heard it & turned my head around.

It scared the bejesus out of me - I'll NEVER call w/o someone at my back again !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

My yotes have changed locations or just come through at night,I have not seen or heard them for some time time now since I had a neighbor to build in between the location and my place.I also haven't heard any singing.they use to yelp quiet a bit in the morning before daylight.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned
    John Taylor,

I'd bet that incident got his attention! = FUNNY.

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    A week and a half ago I had a big male in my driveway that just looked at me as I drove by.
    He actually got closer to the house knowing that's where we went.
    He got up next to our barn about 60 yards from the house when I dumped him with my .223.
    Wish I had thought about one of my muzzle loaders! That would have been sweet!

Hearing them gives me the willies, not that I'm afraid of them but I fear for May Bell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May Bell 2017-02-19.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	207371

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Hearing them gives me the willies, not that I'm afraid of them but I fear for May Bell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May Bell 2017-02-19.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	207371
    We had been backpacking at a state park (Enchanted Rock) and listened to them several times through the night (certainly wakes you up). I don't mind so much, though that extremely thin wall sure does give a bit of comfort. Maybe not so much were I Out an about.

However I've watched a video of a guy having an issue with a lone coyote. Not big, not starving, and not having issues being rabid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

Many years ago we'd go hunting up at the family place in northwest Texas.
    At night the only things to hear was a thumper well a long ways off. Or an armadillo grunt while rootin' around (volunteering to be roasted with onions and new potatoes). And sometimes coyotes singing down in the flats.
    Maybe the romance has left my soul but now those coyotes, they're just really big ticks.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Bout a month ago I heard them barking within 50 yards of the house ..close . Next morning was still dark , I walked out of the house to go to work . I take my three dogs to the shop every day , 2 of em loaded in the truck but the rat terrier was at the corner of the house and didn't want to come . I could see her , the moon was pretty bright , she was sniffing like crazy . I finally hollered loud enough that she ran and got in the truck .

By the dome light I saw she had something in her mouth . It was the hind end of a cottontail gnawed clean . Dang coyotes ate it right by the house . I got 2 small dogs that would be easy pickins for a coyote , makes me a little nervous for them .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    Yep around here if we have a lot of rabbits the coyotes are not far behind.

Fly

Boolit Buddy

Have shot em with m.l. while deer hunting but I would not call em with a m.l. no follow up shot for the second or third dog that could come to the call. Rather have em dead than educated

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbuster View Post
    Have shot em with m.l. while deer hunting but I would not call em with a m.l. no follow up shot for the second or third dog that could come to the call. Rather have em dead than educated
    Good point.

Boolit Master

One trotted by me about 30 yds whilst deer hunting with buckshot Saturday and trotted no further.
    Better kill than a deer.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    From what I've encountered hunting yotes. I don't think you'll have much luck hunting them with a B/P firearm. Call or no call. Coyote are a little curious and sometimes bold but very suspicious of everything they consider unusual. The best way I found is to glass open fields for em before attempting to hunt. {where they are they are regular in seeing.} Where they aren't you'll soon get bored with waiting for one to come into your vision.
    Although I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.
    I always said that a 'yote is afraid of. Things it can see and things it can't.
    Rob

Boolit Master

My son and I have killed more here in NH with shotguns than rifles. We shoot them called. When trapped we kill them with a 22 short to the head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12