MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pc scraping off while sizing..why?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Pc scraping off while sizing..why?

I think its because I'm running them through without he gc evenly snapped on? I tried 2 different colors thinking it was the pc....pc passes smash test. I'm using a lee sizer and lee 200g .358 boolits and good pc....smokes. its scraping pc...and lead off the first lube groove about a 1/4 the way around. Not all are doing this. 13 in my first color and 15 of the next. Will this affect my accuracy and cause leading?

You're not really giving enough information with your details...

Are you casting, then PC'ing and then sizing?
    If so...
    ?...What diameter are the PC'd casts before you size & what is that size?
    ?...Are you using any lube on the PC'd casts before going into the size die?
    ?...Have you polished the interior of the Lee push through sizer?

Will they lead the bore? Don't have a clue, never shot casts like those before. If I have a problem with PC or with sizing I'll re-run them back through the Pb pot.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    OS has good questions.
    PC should not come off when sized unless you sizing down to far.
    the culprit is usually a rough or sharp edge/transition in your sizing die.
    I'd get some 600 - 1000 grit sandpaper and smooth the entry to the sizing die,
    wrap a Little sandpaper around a down, screwdriver shank that fits in the die and roll it for 5-10 seconds on your leg.
    [don't go too long, you don't want to enlarge the die, just smooth it out.

Lube does help, I've used case lube (lanolin/alcohol) and Donnie has a special lube for sizing Hi-Tek boolit between coats.

I probably would not shoot them, it's to easy to remelt and re-do

If it's scraping so and no others, it could be your not holding the mold snugly closed on every cast and you getting some fatter boolits

My 2 cents. Are you sizing them right after you bake them? I always wait until the next day. I would have to agree with Grmps. If it is hit and miss on the scraping maybe you are out of round on your castings.

The unsized boolits after pc are 360.5 I. SiIng them to .359 or a little larger. I pc the bullets weeks ago. I spray wd40 on them and then immediately sizing with adding a gc. A lot of the gc don't snap in place so they are flattened even when running the boolit through the sizer. I wonder if the boolit is getting pushed in at a. Angle and scraping the top lube ring until the gc is seated

Banned
    Taking off .0015 is minimal and should not scrape.
    You could make a simple jig to pre-seat (not crimp) the gas check and see what happens.
    I would polish the die first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171103_120644_resized_resized_resized.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	207180

So what's going on with our photo uploader? I had to downsize and email it to myself four times to make it small enough to accept the download on this site. Something must have changed because the mormal way I've been down loading pics from my phone says they're too big now

Another one of the reasons I size before and after. I lube with water on the before, normally don't use anything the second time

I use the Lee sizing lube before PC, it washes off easily, leaves nothing behind that causes problems. Have to wash and let dry before PC but not a big deal.
    I'm using a Lee push through sizer and when seating gas check I run the bullet through backwards so the gas check gets pushed on not scraped off. I know some folks PC then gas check and others do what I do gas check before PC then quick push through the sizer after PC. More handling but I found it was more reliable and consistent. I should mention that putting the bullet nose on the ram and running them through base first does flatten the tip a tiny bit. Doesn't seem to hurt anything and my gas check failure to seat properly rate really dropped. I suppose if you were doing a spire point it might matter more. I'm mostly doing RN or SWC so not a problem for me.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Banned
    Keep the boolits separate for each cavity when casting and measure them.
    Make sure the handles are held snugly each time.
    this could tell you if you have a bad cavity.
    You never mentioned what brand mold you were using and how many cavities it had.

I would polish the die first.

ADMIN

I have found that I have to spray a little lube (case lube works great) on the boolits when sizing.
    It makes it easier and I don't have any coating come off.
    If I don't do it then it makes a thin spot on the boolits

Boolit Master
    I've put on hundreds of PB gas checks on bullets in the last week. All went on PC bullets. I tried to seat them with propper sized Lee die. I got so so results as the GC weren't perfectly straight. I remembered I have a Lyman GC Seater new in the package. After sliding it into my Lubesizer, now they went on straight and true. Am I adding another step? I suppose so, but I get great results this way and I won't accept bullets not as perfect as I can make them. Any that were buggered up get chunked into the next batch.

I have spent some time tapping regular GC on fat bases with a small delrin headed hammer and then crimped them using the Lee sizer with good luck. I won't waste my time tapping them on any longer. The Lyman thingy on a LAM 1 or LAM 2 works so good whether I'm seating PB checks or regular checks. After crimping a regular check on perfectly straight, they run up in a smooth Lee die like, well, butter.

I PC before sizing/GC always and will continue.

Boolit Master

Seat the gas checks squarely with a rub mallet tap on the nose if you don't have a gas check seating die then run them through. If they are grabby and rough on the way through polish up the inside. If that doesn't fix it, try to size before you PC then after to see if that fixes it.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

It was a lee mold that I had alot of trouble getting closed. The pins were not lining up. I sent it back and have another on the way. The pc'd boolits were sprayed with WD40 as I always do before sizing them. Im pretty sure they are getting started crooked when entering the die but I wouldn't have thought the pc would scrape off.

Should i send these back the the melting pot, or PC over the top of the mess and shoot, or will they shoot and not lead the way they are? and how is accuracy/consistantsy going to be with these?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-05-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Well, I got out the ball pine hammer as suggested and tapped the gc on my red boolit pile. It was a long and lengthy process. when i tapped them on it shaved off a thin lead lip off around a third of the base that either fell off when tapping or i had to flick off with a jack knife....but it worked they all went on without scraping. After about 90% through the pile i experimented and found a quicker way. Intead of tapping on the GC i held the boolit all the way up into the the sizer till it touched with the GC pushed onto the bottom. I then lifted the handle until it contacted the base of the boolit and pushed it trough. They all went on and no scratching. Once in a while there will be a dimple in the GC which is a mystery to me why. Its like one in every 30 boolits or so. I only wrecked one being I wanted to try it the old way with the GC seated side ways and sure enough PC scraped off.

Problem solved

[IMG][/IMG]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Should i send these back the the melting pot, or PC over the top of the mess and shoot, or will they shoot and not lead the way they are? and how is accuracy/consistantsy going to be with these?
    I'd just shoot them for fun. Won't hurt the barrel