Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: BDC scope for 30-06

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

BDC scope for 30-06

I haven't hunted for many, many years so have not kept abreast of the availability of the range compensating scopes. Is there a simple BDC scope for the 30-06 which just has either dots or cross lines on the vertical bottom line to coincide with a specific bullet weight at an average factory ammo velocity for range compensation? I have a fellow who wants a scope mounted that will allow him to simply laser range find his target then use the appropriate dot to hold on such as the Nikon M-308 does for the 308 WIN.

I can find lots of scopes for 308 and 223 but nothing for the 30-06. He doesn't want to mess with the calculations and other stuff involved with the Nikon BDC scopes.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I use a Vortex Crossfire 2 with the reticle as you describe and it works perfectly on my 30-06 Savage 110.

Boolit Mold
    I understand him not wanting to use Nikon's Spot On Program because he may think it is a difficult program to use but it is incredibly user friendly and accurate.
    When it comes to getting a quick shot off at a deer at a known distance Spot On is tough to beat. I would be happy to walk him through the process if you can get him to reconsider a BDC reticle scope? I have taken deer out to 600 yards using mine and even taught my deaf 82 year old father in law how to use the scope and he went from averaging about 10 shot's per deer ( I kid you not) to 1 shot 1 deer for 6 years running with a total of 12 down. Pretty easy to use.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    bman940:

Thank you for your kind offer. I will relay it to him and if he chooses to pursue that route I will PM you with his email address and you two can hash it out. However, knowing him, I strongly doubt that he will want to go that way.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I use the Nikon pro staff in two different riffles. Its nice. You just run the numbers with the app, write it down or type it up then tape it to the stock. Quick and easy.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Mold
    No worries at all. I just know from teaching my Father In-Law how the BDC reticle works related to known distances and then the success he has had related to past hunts, hard to argue with that. The first time he had to use a circle as an aiming point and then he dropped his deer at just under 300 yards he was absolutely amazed that it worked. It got to the point where I hunted with him because he got buck fever and couldn't recall anything. More fun that way,nothing like seeing someone in their 80's take a 150+ buck. The pics are priceless much like the points I scored with my wife for taking him.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest Bushnell's Legend 3x9X 40mm with the DOA reticle. I works very well with the 30-06 using 180 SPBTs at 2700 fps, 165 SPBTs at 2800 fps and 150 gr SPBTs at 2900 fps.

Most all scopes with BDC reticles are not actually "dead on" at all ranges because they are for a variety of cartridges with similar but not exactly the same trajectories. Most are close though. They usually have you zero at 100 yards then use the dots/hash marks for the longer ranges. Any error zeroing at 100 yards is greatly magnified at the longer ranges, especially if the bullet BC and velocity don't match what the reticle is made for. I've found zeroing "bullet drop compensating" reticles at mid range with the correct dot (300 yard zero using the 300 yard dot with the DOA reticle) minimizes error at the other ranges. With the side focus and smaller 40mm objective lens this Bushnell scope makes for a compact scope that suits most any hunting situation with a 30-06.

Attachment 207407
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Nikon hands down. They have an apps (mentioned here) and it covers a wide range of factory loads, but it also covers anything you can come up with as long as you have the bullet BC and velocity. I've tested it and it's dead accurate too!

Boolit Grand Master

BDC scope for 30-06

Buy a Nikon and use the Spot On program. It's really easy to use. Especially if you use the smartphone app.

This is for the Remington 180 grain CoreLokt at sea level w/ a 100 yard zero at 9.0 magnification.

Entering current atmospheric conditions is going to give you more accurate results. That's w/ the default values.

The other option is to shoot w/ the scope and figure it out for yourself. If you're only shooting one load you can get "close".

Boolit Bub
    I personally didn't like the circles on the bdc retical. I have killed many animals with the leupold boone and crockett reticle

Boolit Master
    I use a mil-dot reticle. Just as easy as a BDC scope. Just need to know your load particulars, and verify the drops at the rifle range. Using a 100 yard zero, I can shoot a long way using the mil-dots before I ever have to touch my turrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Buy a Nikon and use the Spot On program. It's really easy to use. Especially if you use the smartphone app.

This is for the Remington 180 grain CoreLokt at sea level w/ a 100 yard zero at 9.0 magnification.

Entering current atmospheric conditions is going to give you more accurate results. That's w/ the default values.

The other option is to shoot w/ the scope and figure it out for yourself. If you're only shooting one load you can get "close".
    Only have one scope with the BDC reticle but both the reticle and program work as claimed and very user friendly. I am impressed.

Boolit Master
    Guess I'm going to end up being the odd man out here again. I really like my Shepherd scope. I think it's the fastest to range and fire in a deer hunting application, no math involved, no separate range finder, no buttons to push like the Burris Eliminator. Not many people willing to put out $900 unless they are also looking at the Burris Eliminator. Fit the circle to the deer, take the shot, that simple. The hitch with this scope is that it isn't cheap, and you need to be a reloader to load your rounds to match the drop curve built into the scope. Even then, as those loaded rounds age, check them every season in case powder detorates and changes the FPS and the drop curve. It's down to your marksmanship at that point. If you choose to use this scope with factory ammo, it would be pure luck to choose factory ammo that will match the drop curve built into the scope regardless of what Shepherd says, close yes, but never dialed in. a reloader needs to fine tune this part.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

I have several of the Nikon BDC scopes on my rifles including 2 30-06's. I highly recommend them for hunting scopes and you can find them on sale for about $100
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Adjusting magnification will correct for different BC & fps so known ranges are spot on. First time I shot 200 I was 2" low with a slightly over 2" group. Cross hair on @ 100. Easy to use.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I have several of the Nikon BDC scopes on my rifles including 2 30-06's. I highly recommend them for hunting scopes and you can find them on sale for about $100
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/NIKON...INdw&gclsrc=ds
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I love the scopes and the BDC concept. Made me a much better shot at distance with .270. Just that those circles disappear in low light often encountered mornings and evenings hunting.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    ALL of the scopes mentioned are second focal plane. That means the program only works at one magnification setting, typically the highest. The point blank range for a 30-06, using JOC's rule is 250 yards on deer sized game.

The need for a BDC reticle is questionable for 99% of shots. While you are resetting the X and figuring which dot/line/circle to use, the deer will walk away.

If you have a first focal plane reticle, the distance between the hash marks stays the same at all Xs. Useful for small targets or sniping at long ranges.

In 2010 a WY/MT/ID study showed the average range Elk were killed was 127 yards. Guessing Eastern whitetails a lot less. I once killed one at 70 yards with a smoothbore shotgun and deer slugs. Scope was a 1-4 Leupold.

Now you can buy a range finder that downloads to your smart phone, measures the wind and will even set your scope for you.
    Beats the hell out of stalking up close to use your ancient K4 doesn't it ?