Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Air Force texan

Boolit Grand Master

Air Force texan

Been looking at the PCP big bore air rifles for a short time now. I am finding them interesting to say the least. The Air Force Texan in .458 caliber has caught my eye. I'm new to these rifles and am curious what to expect as to using and performance this one claims 405 grn bullets at 900 fps. How difficult is the charging of the rifle? They claim 3 good shots. I see "buddy" tanks and read of shooting teathered. This rifle operates around 3000psi and from what I have read the buddy tanks are charged to 4500 psi. Ive seen booster pumps for charging also. Any information offered will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. CG

Boolit Master

Once you solve the air pressure supply PCP air guns are all fun.

On my Benjamin marauder .25 cal. The air reservoir is smaller than the air force Texan.
    I run it from 3000 psi down to 2000 psi. Using a air venturi hand pump it takes about 110 perfect strokes. to bring the pressure back to 3000.

The hand pump is three stage, looks almost like an old bicycle pump but takes some technique to operate.
    Mostly just a pause at the end of each stroke, each direction so the air can get through small passages to the next stage.

If you have an air tank, another investment of 1-500 dollars.
    You can buy air, or you can possibly get air for beer at the local volunteer fire station.

You can buy a compressor 500-2500 dollars. there are new Chinese compressors coming pretty reasonable priced.

Water inside your air gun can be a serious problem the more expensive compressors have better ways of dealing with taking large volumes of air, heating, and squeezing the water vapor into liquid.

My climate is very dry but dealing with water is a top concern when considering how to solve the pressure problem.

Air from breathing system compressors is very clean and dry.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

When I saw the title; never thought it would be about Air Rifle. I was thinking:

Attachment 208440
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Been looking at the PCP big bore air rifles for a short time now. I am finding them interesting to say the least. The Air Force Texan in .458 caliber has caught my eye. I'm new to these rifles and am curious what to expect as to using and performance this one claims 405 grn bullets at 900 fps. How difficult is the charging of the rifle? They claim 3 good shots. I see "buddy" tanks and read of shooting teathered. This rifle operates around 3000psi and from what I have read the buddy tanks are charged to 4500 psi. Ive seen booster pumps for charging also. Any information offered will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. CG
    The Texas are rated good rifles for hunting . They use a lot of air . And charging by pump is not easy and for the younger generation . If you are going to shoot it quite a bit you will want a large 4500 psi tank . A buddy bottle will get you only a few more shoots . Tethering requires a regulator as well . To regulate the psi from a 4500 psi tank to the rifles 3000 psi . You have not stated what you will be using the rifle for . There are tank fill calculators that will show you how many fills you can get out of a tank . Air Hog web site has one as well as the Texan rifle . The high power rifles use huge amounts of air beware . Marvin
    https://www.airhog.com/
    Last edited by melloairman; 11-25-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Since I'm pretty much in a wheelchair now ( outside its a action trac chair on tracs) I simply want it for linking and the learning experience of it. Other than an old Red Ryder years ago and my RWS R? I have little experience here. Think it will be neat to be at the club shooting it 200 yds with no primers, powder or cases. Also in my mind it should be extremely accurate since there is no longer variences from primers powder cases and also neck tension and head spaces. Only variances should be the skill with which I cast the bullets and the Air Valves repeatability.

Boolit Master
    3 shots is pretty limiting if you want to go out hunting, you don't want to have to take the bottle with you unless in the vehicle, and you would need a bottle.

Take a look at this link . Air Gun Depot recently had a contest . There were several different rifles used . Keep in mind that the Texan is not a short light rifle .Marvin
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=air+gu...b5f669115183ed

Yes those variables are reduced, but others do come into play.
    But that is the journey.

Me if I was going to go big bore I think it would be a Sam Yang .357.
    https://www.airgundepot.com/sam-yang...air-rifle.html

But so far I have been able to resist the temptations of the dark side.

Boolit Grand Master

One big issue will be with the 34" barrel and 900-1000 fps . Barrel time is going to be tricky to manage. Be like shooting 22 shorts from a target 22 with a 26" barrel. Going to have to hold and follow thru. With the 405 grn bullets at 1000 fps its not far from 45-70 BP performance though.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Yes those variables are reduced, but others do come into play.
    But that is the journey.

Me if I was going to go big bore I think it would be a Sam Yang .357.
    https://www.airgundepot.com/sam-yang...air-rifle.html

But so far I have been able to resist the temptations of the dark side.
    I have 2 recluses tuned my Will . Last one he tuned is shooting 155 grain at 790 fps for 273 fpe . The biggest problem with the Korean line is the chocking arm screw that will not stay tight and breaks . Will drills and taps the hammer to except a unbreakable 1/4 inch bolt handle . He also has brought my triggers down from 10 pounds to 2 . Marvin
    http://saddlemountaingunsmith.com/
    Last edited by melloairman; 11-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    There is an excellent TV show called AMERICAN AIRGUNNER.

They do a lot with big bore and airbow guns. Killed pigs, deer and barbary sheep. Those airbow guns are awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One big issue will be with the 34" barrel and 900-1000 fps . Barrel time is going to be tricky to manage. Be like shooting 22 shorts from a target 22 with a 26" barrel. Going to have to hold and follow thru. With the 405 grn bullets at 1000 fps its not far from 45-70 BP performance though.
    They do have a ss model as well .Marvin
    http://www.airforceairguns.com/Articles.asp?ID=344