RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: difficult to seat...

difficult to seat...

I have some tight fitting gas checks that are difficult to seat.
    hornady brand on a lyman 311466 boolit.
    what am I doing wrong?
    they fit on my lee boolits just fine.

some people use a large ball bearing or something like that, set it on the mouth of the gc, and tap it gently to open it up a bit.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy

I've got an RCBS with that issue.Mask the cavity except the base and apply a couple coats of mold release spray.Worked for me
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Many molds drop bullets that are too big or small for a "snap on" fit of the gc. Noe sells some neat equip. to seat those checks and or bevel the bullet edge so the checks will fit on.

Boolit Master

Tools from NOE are cheap too. Get you a monthly allowance from the significant other and start building your tools. If I am checking PC bullets I use a gas check expander, if the checks are just hard to start with thumb pressure use the bullet base beveler. Then square it up with a gas check seating tool from Lyman or NOE. I may be crazy but I swear every name brand checks are different sizes.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post
    I've got an RCBS with that issue.Mask the cavity except the base and apply a couple coats of mold release spray.Worked for me
    That's a great idea, I'm going to try that on the whole mold in an effort to cast smaller bullets...

'difficult to seat...' It depends on how big your bullets are, measure the shank and you'll know what's up...
    Last edited by gnostic; 11-04-2017 at 08:54 PM.

+one on the NOE tools. I have both the gas check seating die and seven of the expanders. It would take a pretty messed up mould to throw a bullet I can't get a tight, flat check on. Well worth the price. Gp

Banned
    Thanks I been having the same problem

Boolit Master
    Another thing you can do --- heat the checks on a hot plate or some such (I have used the wood stove top but not everybody has that option). For big-butted boolets, the cool boolets pop into warm checks much easier.

I have several moulds that produce boolets a bit large in the butt and did a lot of checking with this heat technique back in the dark ages before I discovered how wonderful the Star is for checking boolets.

Thanks for all the hints.
    I'll try heating them on a hotplate first.
    and if I need to, I may try the mold release spray, I'll have to look for it, next time a place an order for other supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post

Boolit Grand Master
    The NOE gas check flaring tools are a Godsend. Lyman shanks get along poorly with Hornady checks IME; these tools resolve that issue.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Those that give me fits get seated with my arbor press, then make the trip to the sizer. So far so good.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?