MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: A little help please...

A little help please...

Today I was given an almost full box of .30 cal boolits. They’re commercial cast, and likely hard as nails, coated in an ugly green looking stuff- which I presume to be Hi-Tek or similar. These things weigh 240gr, are plain based, with a a nice flat nose.

All that said- what can I expect out of these? I was planning to load some with H414, which is my go-to powder for my .30-06. I also have H335, H4198, IMR 3031, Trailboss, and Power Pistol available.

Does anybody have experience with a boolit like this- preferably in .30-06-, and does anybody have any advice/tips/tricks/etc?
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Subs for 300BO.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Subs for 300BO.
    Well, that’s exactly what my friend bought them for...but he didn’t like them. So, now I have these bullets and a .30-06. I really like heavy for caliber, and I’d love to be able to ge these guys to shoot decent. I’ve never shot something like this though, and don’t really know where to start.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Give us a good picture of them...someone will recognize them.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

In Remembrance
    When I used cast on my 06 it was kinda frustrating. I don't care who you are or what type of 06 you have, they'll all act differently. It took me about a year and a half, and found out that powders and speed have a major role to play in it. At 100yds I finally got my accuracy, using many different types of powders and charges.

There are so many variables associated with cast boolits and powders it isn't funny.

I did all my work with lubed boolits, it was in a time PC boolits weren't even a thought.

In a nutshell: Your going to have to use trial and error.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    When I used cast on my 06 it was kinda frustrating. I don't care who you are or what type of 06 you have, they'll all act differently. It took me about a year and a half, and found out that powders and speed have a major role to play in it. At 100yds I finally got my accuracy, using many different types of powders and charges.

There are so many variables associated with cast boolits and powders it isn't funny.

I did all my work with lubed boolits, it was in a time PC boolits weren't even a thought.

In a nutshell: Your going to have to use trial and error.
    I would imagine that by observation of your testing there could be drawn some guidelines that correlate the relationship between...

*Pb mix, % of components of the blend and BHN and it's ability to obturate at different pressures
    *Powder Burn Rate, to determine how hard and quick you want to boost the Pb cast
    *greased Pb and types of grease and PC coatings
    * FPS & Rifling Twist parameters
    * profile and weight of the cast
    * sizing to fit properly the bore

*...?...what else?

With some guidelines set up as parameters 'not to exceed' a Newbie could dial in pretty quickly.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

They are soft alloy PB so you cant push very hard. Look for reduced load (safe) powder or pistol powder loads. IMHO I'd recycle them into something you like.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance

My cast and PC'd Lyman 31141 sounds like it matches your description. I loaded these for a pal's '06 with CCI 200 and LEE dipper 2.2 cc. of IMR4198. He was very happy: I still load such for him and now others. YMMV.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Banned

try for about 12-1300 fps with the first test batch.
    that's an awful combination of weight twist rate and plain base your gonna be dealing with.
    you might not find a load you like.

but you will have a box full of good alloy to re-cast into something good.

I don't play with 06 but I agree if you want to use them as is keep your speed down below 1400 fps.

If it was me I would start with one of the dot powders, red or green. Or something in that burn range.

In my 7.62x54r I have had quite good luck with large for caliber 185 gr bullets over 10 grains of Red Dot. But mine are gas checked so you may need to slow down some to control the leading.

I would load a 3-5 at 8 grains and walk the ladder up, taking notes, noting group size.
    Check bore between each group for leading.

It is a journey, and it can be enjoyable. It can also be a real slog. All depends on what you try to do and with what. Good luck.