Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm reading "The Great Rifle Controversy".

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    I have read, but not verified, that one of the reasons for the USSR's ammo choices was to have cases a tiny bit larger than US/NATO rounds, so that in a pinch the Soviet weapons could fire (poorly) US ammunition, but our weapons could not do so with captured Soviet ammo. This may be a myth, but the logic is solid.

Bulldogger
    This is an absolute myth. For those who doubt, I invite you to try the exchange of ammo but please let me be far from the firing point when you touch off something you manage to chamber.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned

All I can say is the 7.62x54R was developed far before the 7.62 NATO so unless they had a crystal ball I can't see this being true. Now as to whether you can finagle a 7.62 NATO to fit in a Rookie chamber and fire is an entirely differen't matter and I sure don't advocate it. Don't Do It!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    All I can say is the 7.62x54R was developed far before the 7.62 NATO so unless they had a crystal ball I can't see this being true. Now as to whether you can finagle a 7.62 NATO to fit in a Rookie chamber and fire is an entirely differen't matter and I sure don't advocate it. Don't Do It!
    Quite correct, it is not true but is barracks BS. Excellent advise also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Quite correct, it is not true but is barracks BS. Excellent advise also.
    Thanks Larry. We know that the 7.62 is a high pressure round and God forbid if someone tried this foolish stunt and that case ruptures.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Thanks Larry. We know that the 7.62 is a high pressure round and God forbid if someone tried this foolish stunt and that case ruptures.
    Besides that the 7.62 NATO case will severely rupture with gas going everywhere damaging the rifle. I know because we tested the "theory" in the late SE Asian war games back in '65 with a captured MN (amazing how many crazy things I managed to live through back then). Sandbagged the rifle solidly and used a long piece of parachute cord as a lanyard. Took some fiddling to get the 7.62 NATO round to center in the chamber for the firing pin to hit the primer center enough to fire.

BTW; a tudge of PETN over the primers with the 7.62x54R case filled with C-4 with the bullet reseated really messes up a MN........always wondered what the velocity was.........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Besides that the 7.62 NATO case will severely rupture with gas going everywhere damaging the rifle. I know because we tested the "theory" in the late SE Asian war games back in '65 with a captured MN (amazing how many crazy things I managed to live through back then). Sandbagged the rifle solidly and used a long piece of parachute cord as a lanyard. Took some fiddling to get the 7.62 NATO round to center in the chamber for the firing pin to hit the primer center enough to fire.

BTW; a tudge of PETN over the primers with the 7.62x54R case filled with C-4 with the bullet reseated really messes up a MN........always wondered what the velocity was.........
    Well I've certainly heard what one can do, but I didn't and will not post it here because I don't want anyone trying it. I do know of a fellow that tried to blow a Polish round receiver Mosin using rifle powders going up the list and came to the conclusion you could just about prime a sized case and scoop up powder out of a cup, seat the bullet, and shoot it. It barely even got to the point where the bolt was stiff to open. I told him quit fooling with it and fill it with Bullesye and do it safely with a long string. He did and what it did was locked the bolt up to where he had to unscrew the barrel. The case didn't go and it didn't set the bolt lugs back any that he could tell. Only fly in the ointment was he used a doggone steel case. I was disappointed upon hearing that. Those Mosin's are strong.

Guys don't shoot anything in your Mosins except the correct ammo. Shoot 308 in rifles chambered for it. Don't listen to all the internets myths.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I'm sure it's just a slip, but I'm seeing a bunch numbers in this thread that are incorrect when describing cartridges.

I've seen the mandated switch to 7.62 NATO in the FN described as hot ridding the design to its ragged edge. It was never meant to operate under that kind of stress.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I'm sure it's just a slip, but I'm seeing a bunch numbers in this thread that are incorrect when describing cartridges.

I've seen the mandated switch to 7.62 NATO in the FN described as hot ridding the design to its ragged edge. It was never meant to operate under that kind of stress.
    Mr Hamish, how about some specifics. One is a slip, a bunch is not LOL

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the Myth came from attempting to use the 7.62X51 in the 7.5 French chamber. There were certainly a great many captured 7.5 rifles still to be found in Vietnam.
    Another might be using the 7.62 in 7.7 Jap rifles which were also to be found just about anywhere in Asia in those days.

I've read of .32 S&W cartridges being fired in a number of 7.5-8mm revolvers by means of wrapping the base of the case with layers of cigarette papers.

Bullets of course could be pulled from captured 7.62 Nato ammo and along with salvaged powder be used in home made reloads for several different cartridges of similar bullet diameters.

Boolit Master
    The slightly larger size refers to mortar rounds.And I do know you can fire surplus 308s in 30-06 Garand,and surprising enough ,the necks dont split,but come out cylindrical.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The slightly larger size refers to mortar rounds.And I do know you can fire surplus 308s in 30-06 Garand,and surprising enough ,the necks dont split,but come out cylindrical.
    With the mouth slightly belled in!

Boolit Master

But, but, but, don’t you know that you can shoot 9mm Luger rounds in a 9mm Makarov? It has to be ok, I saw them doing it on YouTube!

I’m joking of course, but I did see a couple different YouTube videos where they were advocating this lunacy. It makes me cringe to see it. BAD idea!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    There was also a round developed by FN they called 7mm Belgian NATO, a 7x51 with a case very similar to the 7.62,and apparently was the donor case for the 7.62x51.Recently reinvented under some name or other by Remlin.
    The 7.62x51mm was developed from the .300 Savage round. The test round was a modified .300 Savage round designated the T-65. Simply put it was the .300 Savage with a different shoulder and a longer neck. I make .300 Savage cases from any commercial .308 brass which comes my way. Lube well, run the .308 through the Savage FL die, then trim the neck back. Thin neck depending on the rifle. GI brass remains .308/7.62 usage (though the shorter Savage case shouldn't need headstamp viewing to determine which is which).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12