RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41 gas checks

Boolit Master

41 gas checks

Looking for some 41 caliber gas checks. Does Hornady still make them?

Dick

Boolit Master
    sent a pm

Boolit Master
    sent a pm
    well that didnt work so send me a pm have almost full box of Lyman

Boolit Master

I have some in a Hornady box, labled
    Bullet Swaging supply Inc
    po box 1056
    303 ,mcmillan rd
    west monroe, la 71291

Boolit Buddy

too many things -
    Just asked on another post about checks for a .41 mag. I have an Accurate Mold, 41-210TG that shows a shank diameter of .391 I know there are different sizes of checks for a .41 but can't find anything that says whose will fit this size shank - have any idea?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    will check them get back

Boolit Master
    i checked with 2 mics and both came up with a .393 to .395
    may have to go to gator checks

Boolit Buddy

Thanks too many. Tried to PM Sage but his box is full. Their site lists 4 sizes but can't find a 'definitive' answer on the .391 shank. Guess I need to talk to someone on the phone. I'll see if I can find a number for gator. Thanks again.

Hornady offers the 416 GC. They label it this way because it is also for the 416 rifle. Just the same as Hornady 45s are intended to be used for both the 458 rifle and the 45 handgun.

Hornady 416s measure .392" inside diameter, .418 outside diameter. I'm sure the Gators are the same.
    A .391 shank is correct for those checks.

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking about buying a GC 41 caliber Miha mold but would like to know that I can get GC's before spending the money. What's so different about the 41's compared to 357's or 44's? Thanks,

Dick

The 41 problem is unique.

Originally Lyman, for the one and only 41 GC design that they offered, used a .397" shank for the thin 41 GC that Lyman made.
    That shank size was abandoned when Lyman changed to Hornady style crimp-on checks. Hornady used .392" inside diameter instead, and molds for the 41 mag and 416 Rigby became standardized to that shank size.

Gator offers a third size 41, the G410P2, with a .3805" inside diameter. They say that this is for a third, odd, shank size that was popping up on a few molds from odd manufacturers. This GC size is extremely handy for the 40 caliber.

All of this happened simply because of the lack of popularity, and therefore the lack of standardization, of the 41 mag.

The only other caliber which has a similar problem is the 45, because like the 41-416, the 45 caliber is anything from .451" to .460" diameter. Standardized, Hornady type 45 GCs are .460" outside diameter which means that sizing to .460" or larger will simply not crimp them on. Hornady obviously went with .460" diameter because they never expected the current popularity of .460+ diameter 45 rifle bullets and wanted to provide a size which would be easy to swage down to .451".
    Gator 45 Rifle checks solve this problem.

The only remaining issue with the 41 is that proper checks for the 41 mag are called "416" so that they won't scare away people who are casting for the rifle. Problem is, they now scare away people who are casting for the 41 mag.

In Remembrance
    Info for Gator Checks
    Please Note: There are three different gas checks for 40-41 cal. molds and one especially for 40 caliber molds.

#1 .41 Lyman type, the shank will measure .397 and is used on all .41 caliber Lyman molds and a few custom molds.
    #2 .416 Rifle – the shank will measure .393 and these gas checks fit .41 caliber RCBS, Saeco and some custom molds.
    #3 .41 BSS – the shank will measure .379. This is a new gas check that has been designed especially for .41 bullets. Many of the custom mold makers are now making molds for the improved .41 BSS.
    #4 .40 BSS is a gas check especially made for .368 shank 40 caliber bullets.

NOTE: The shank diameters may vary by one or two thousandths from the diameters listed above.

Boolit Buddy

Sage, Got an email from Tom at Accurate that explained his design and which check to use - Extremely helpful as were the explanations above. Guess the .416 "Rifle" was throwing me.
    I've just placed an order on your site for some copper .416's.
    Thanks to all for the clarifications.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz64 View Post
    Sage, Got an email from Tom at Accurate that explained his design and which check to use - Extremely helpful as were the explanations above. Guess the .416 "Rifle" was throwing me.
    I've just placed an order on your site for some copper .416's.
    Thanks to all for the clarifications.
    No problem, I get confused myself!

Boolit Buddy

For what it’s worth, I just put on a few hundred .416 “rifle” checks on my accurate 41-210TC boolets. They are loose to start and a touch of lube helps hold them on to get them in the sizer but once sized they are tight - sized to .411.
    Sage and blammer have these if anyone is looking for checks to fit a .391 to .395 shanked .41 mag boolet.

Boolit Master

I've got a peanut butter jar full of .416 Gator checks. I got them from Blammer several years ago and then got away from the .41 Mag. I've since then acquired another .41 Mag revolver but haven't cast any boolits requiring a gas check. This thread has refreshed my memory as I couldn't remember any more than a discussion that there were 2 sizes(at that time).
    John
    W.TN

My Mehi 413640 uses a .41lt. The Mehi 413265 trushot clone uses the .416. Both from blammer (gators I suspect).
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    The Hornady ones fit all thee different 41 molds I own. Custom, NOE, and Accurate. The Gator ones are good to go also

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I have some in a Hornady box, labled
    Bullet Swaging supply Inc
    po box 1056
    303 ,mcmillan rd
    west monroe, la 71291
    Bullet Swaging Supply is a local company that makes gas checks. I've been using their 30 cal. and 38 cal. and 41 cal. copper checks for a couple years now ...I like them.
    I tried to look at their pdf price list for 41 availability and price but my lack of Adobe Reader is not letting me see it.
    www.bulletswagsupply.com I will be buying more when I've used these up.
    And there are three different base shank sizes in 41...it depends on the mould maker, go to their web site and the different sizes are explained .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-18-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

The above website should be www.bulletswagingsupply.com.

I have a couple of older Lyman and Saeco molds for the 41 mag that both take the Lyman sized gas checks, so measure your boolits before ordering gas checks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast