WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-Harvey Hunting Rifle Strategy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    Why anyone would suggest poodle shooting bullets for anything other than rats and small dogs in the open is beyond understanding, but the current ill-informed fandom for the 223/5.56 is sadly widespread.
    RPRNY,

I would be the last person to advise the use of varmint bullets on deer. The thing you mist consider regarding my recommendation of the .223 is this; The 62 grain boded core bullet was intended from the start, and was built to be, a deer bullet! It does not fragment, it does not blow up - what it does do is mushroom and penetrate! Federal's Fusion ammunition is awesome stuff!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    RPRNY,

I would be the last person to advise the use of varmint bullets on deer. The thing you mist consider regarding my recommendation of the .223 is this; The 62 grain boded core bullet was intended from the start, and was built to be, a deer bullet! It does not fragment, it does not blow up - what it does do is mushroom and penetrate! Federal's Fusion ammunition is awesome stuff!

Apologies. I should have finished that sentence with this icon

While I oppose the 223/556 for use on deer as marginal at best, I understand that in the case of proper bullet choices and folks hunting 100lbs racing does, it can be effective. In your case, you make a reasoned decision. But when I see Tommy Tactikewl with his 16" AR and undoubtedly questionable bullets heading out to 200 + yards territory, I remain of the view that it is a very bad choice indeed.

Boolit Buddy
    ...and a Safari Grade Model 70? In THIS brush? Stick with the guns that are already scratched... They won't care.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, my Super Grade (with the dreaded J-words) put meat in the cooler and we had a great time so it's all good. I blew the shot and placed the bullet a couple of inches high for a lung shot so it was an extensive tracking job in the dreaded brush. A pair of sharp young eyes with a very good flashlight saved my hunt by recovering my nice & fat doe. Exit was about .75" and simply didn't bleed enough for an easy tracking job. If I'd held a little lower I wouldn't have gotten to watch my brother's nephew do an awesome tracking job in that heavy S TX brush. No pics, just knee-high grass & briars and visibility limited to about 6-8 feet by mesquite and other scrubby trees. Blood droplets on blades of grass and tree leaves well after sunset made for quite a challenge but this young gent was up for the it; his father is one of the best trackers I've met. Young man is a corporate employee of one of the big box sporting goods stores. He was a bit surprised to learn I not only load but generally cast my own boolits, he initially thought the J-word had failed but when he found the deer hit where I told him he changed his tune a bit. My shot placement was the main reason for his tracking job, nothing more.
    And no, rifles are useless in a tracking job like this one. Mostly just go in with a big bore pistol or possibly an MSR when things aren't so thick. I felt sure the deer was dead before I left the stand so I left my beautiful rifle safe inside.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12