Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 5744 45 colt ?

Boolit Buddy

5744 45 colt ?

Has anyone used 5744 and a 45-270saa boolit?

I am using AA#9, HS6, and Aliant 2400. Read somewhere it wasn't a good choice for the 45-270saa? I will be interested in others experence and comments. hc18flyer

Vendor Sponsor

I have heard of a LOT of different 45 Colt loads but this is the first mention of 5744 I have seen for this caliber.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Seems like I read an article by Mike Venturino where he said 5744 is the only powder he uses for cast boolits.
    Then again...I could be all wet!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Load Data for Accurate powders has multiple loads listed for 45 LC in standard pressure loadings and high pressure loadings. 5744 makes sense - fast powder. If I knew how to imbed a link I would. Its a great resource
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate powder 14,000 psi 255swc 17.6gr-19.5 and 300lfp 13.4-15.8. 30,000 psi 255swc 23.8-28. and 300lfp 19.4-22.8.
    Trying to find a load for my wifes marlin and have used 2400, unique and long shot and haven't found the magic load yet, and have some 5744 and thought I might try it if people where having good luck with it.

I tried it in 44 mag and 45 colt and didn't have much luck with it - I was using Lee 300 grain in 45 colt.
    that powder seems to like to be up to a certain pressure to burn clean and group well.
    I do use it in 45-70 and 300 whisper/blackout with good luck.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In rifle cartridges with CB's, 5744 is an excellent, if pricey, propellant. However, I followed Accurate Arms' suggestions for use in my .357mag. (Ruger BH) and got low velocity and gobs of unburned powder. Unique, Blue Dot, and/or 2400 are much better choices in my view.

Boolit Master
    I prefer Unique in mine.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems 5744 works for most BP cartridges, MLV even lists a load for it under lighter boolits in his leverguns book. Haven't tried it because Unique works so well for a lot less $$.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I tried it on a limited basis some years ago using up jacketed Hornady bullets in a .45 Colt Winchester Trapper 16". Good accuracy and velocity, but 5744 probably wouldn't be my first pick for cast bullets in a handgun cartridge.

i shoot 16 to 16.5 under 255 grain rnfp cast of 20/1 and 16.5 to 17 under a 230 wfn... these loads fill a 45 colt case better than most other loads i use, hit hard enough and shoot to my sights.... i crimp them soundly and it burns fine.... i shoot 5744 in a few rifles so i have it around, not sure i'd stock it just for 45 colt rounds, as other powders do as well...

Boolit Man
    I have 4 pounds of 5744 I need To use up. Not shooting as much cast rifle bullets these days. I thought Of trying it in a few handgun loads too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woody402 View Post
    I have 4 pounds of 5744 I need To use up. Not shooting as much cast rifle bullets these days. I thought Of trying it in a few handgun loads too.
    You can have fun using it up in reduced velocity loads with jacketed in your rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    You can have fun using it up in reduced velocity loads with jacketed in your rifles.

It's very well suited for that purpose. It's also great for most medium bore, straight wall rifle cartridges so I've had more than a few load tests indicate 5744 was the best powder for that particular rifle & boolit. Only problem is it's quite expensive and I'd rather use some of the other less costly powders I have on hand.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.