RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive press for Pistol fodder?

Quote Originally Posted by RGMJ View Post
    What about Lee Load Master? anything wrong with this brand ?
    google it - then buy a Dillon
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a Lee fan and have a lot of their products. I won't consider buying one of their progressives.

I have never used a loadmaster. I did TRY to use a pro1000. I ended up giving it away to someone that I didn’t like. Lol

After the pro1000 I went ahead, bought the xl650 and haven’t looked back.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I know it's going to stir the pot a little but I ordered a loadmaster a year or so ago and with a little help form members here it's a pleasure to load with . It sits beside a Dillon 550 and by choice I prefer to run all my handgun ammo on the loadmaster . Be warned you must invest the time in getting familiar with the press or you will produce a lot of problematic ammo . I may just be lucky and or to simple to know better , I've never seen a 650 in person.

Banned

If all I loaded with pistol ammo I could live happily ever after with a square deal.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
    I run a dillon 1050 and mr. bulletfeeder and use it for 9 and 40. It is built like a tank.
    If I was Mr S, and loaded 26k rounds a year, I would get the 1050. The key to the 1050 is either to only load a limited number of calibers or a few thousand at a time. Caliber change over time does not make it a good choice for loading 200-300 hundred at a time like most people do. I sold the 1050 I had set up for .45 but have one set up for SP, loading 9mm and .38. I do not load enough .40 so I use the 550 for that round.

BTW, the only downside to loading a lot at a time is MAKE SURE THE AMMUNITION WORKS IN ALL YOUR GUNS. I ran into an issue with a batch of 9mm that would not work in everything I use it in. The 9mm is not a forgiving round...at least with cast.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by steelworker View Post
    I have never used a loadmaster. I did TRY to use a pro1000. I ended up giving it away to someone that I didn’t like. Lol.
    Anyone else have one they want to throw away? PM me and I'll send you my address.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lee Load Master and I'm quite pleased with it. It's much easier to switch out calibers than a Dillon. Well built, rugged. Produces ammo accurate enough for bullseye competition. Like all progressives it has its little quirks to iron out, but if you do your part it will do its part.

I was given a loadmaster spent a little time with it and it ran like a top but its was still no dillon.

Boolit Master
    For the money Lee stuff is great. The value is hard to beat and even though I have & prefer Dillon after owning one, I still have lots of Lee stuff. If you don't mind doing some tweaking and a little finesse application, the Lee stuff is definitely serviceable. If you expect to yank it out of the box and crank off thousands of rounds, you might be a little disappointed. This is best dealt using the "Buy once, cry once" moniker in my honest opinion but you can always add in another machine later and leave a Lee machine setup for another caliber. Lots of tutorial videos on YouTube for Lee fixes, mods, upgrades, etc if you go that way.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Started with a Rock Chucker, moved to a Bonanza Co-Ax, bought a used Dillon 550B, traded a SqD-b for Redding Big Boss, bought another Dillon (450 and upgraded it to a 550B) so now I have a large and small primer setup. Small runs or new calibers and some rifle on the singles and larger runs (rifle or pistol) on the Dillons. Small volume of reloads = single, larger volumes done on the Dillons. There is a learning curve for any of them.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Banned
    Loadmaster can work for you BUT you will have to do a little "tinkering"

I agree. I would love a Dillon but here it costs over twice as much as a Loadmaster! I only use mine for.38sp and it now works reliably, the only time I have problems is when I don't keep an eye on case feeding and boolit feeding and run out.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried going cheap with my first progressive. It was a Lee 1000. After struggling with it for about 6 months, my wife told me to go spend whatever I needed on a new press, she was tired of hearing my frustrations. Bought a 550 and never looked back. I'm loading .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .45 Cowboy Special on it. Bought some extra tool heads from this site. Switching calibers takes minutes. The most time consuming part is changing the powder charge.

Boolit Master
    the Pro 1000 can be a pain, no doubt about it!

I have Three and Two of them just hold the door open the other one is used a a depriming tool, set it up for a specific shell plate add a Universal decaping die and have at it!

I can de prime 1000 case's in very little time using the case feeder and collator, then they go into a wet tumbler with SS pins then an old food dehydrator to dry.

Once dry I run the all though an RCBS bench priming tool, this allows me to handle case's at least three times to check for debri, cracks and, in the case of the 45 ACP, to separate small pistol primed case's from large primed case's.

Once sorted and primed they get dumped into a Dillon 550 case feeder and run through my CH Auto Champion Mark VI.

This is the only thing I will do with a Pro 1000 ad it does it well and very fast!

HM

The biggest issue for me is the priming on the Hornady LNL. Other than that it will spit out the ammo. I couldn't afford Blue but would like to try one some day. I use the Lee turret more while developing loads, easy change over from caliber to caliber. Dillion turret heads are up there..again, I'm poor...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I use the Lee turret more while developing loads, easy change over from caliber to caliber. Dillion turret heads are up there..again, I'm poor...
    I have the money but won't pay what it costs to have toolheads already set up for a Dillon 550. Like you I use the LCT for load development. I use it for small batch reloading as well. For that I have turrets set up since they're more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I have the money but won't pay what it costs to have toolheads already set up for a Dillon 550. Like you I use the LCT for load development. I use it for small batch reloading as well. For that I have turrets set up since they're more affordable.
    I have them like this..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turrets.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	207188

It's hard to beat a good turret for working up loads or even whipping out a couple hundred at a time. Extra turrets make them a real workhorse in the shop when it comes to pistol fodder. Best of all, if you don't have a 'time demon' on your back...if you enjoy your tools...they are a pleasure to work with...

I run a LnL for a progressive and a Rock Chucker for bench rifle, prime separately for all the presses and enjoy this craft.
    Most of us will end up with several presses.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I use the 550B for the common pistol: 9mm, 38 sp, 45 ACP.
    For other pistol ammo, I use a Ponsness P100. I was my first semi-progressive press.
    Rock Chucker for all others.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast