Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Progressive press for Pistol fodder?

I have a DILLON 550B and XL650

the XL650 gets a lot more use.

I like them both.

XL650 for 1000 round batches of 9mm, 38/357, 40, 45ACP,
    also for processing and loading 223, 308, 30-06

I use the 550B for smaller batch stuff like 44 mag, 6.8SPC, etc.

XL650
    Last edited by derek45; 11-08-2017 at 12:10 AM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    GONRA's Dillon XL 650 has verked Just Fine for 9mm and .45 ACP.
    Use it for all my UZI and 1928 Thompson SMG ammo.

(I like the olde RCBS sizing dies with smaller entrance radius for "Quality Sizing".
    Cases are nicely sized FULL LENGTH. Look just like factory - what yer Gun Expects.
    Just CAN'T STAND the wierd sizing stuff that sometimes goes on with reloaded ammo...
    So I accept any minor "Progressive Press Reloading Problems"
    that a larger sizing die entrance radius would cure.)

I use a roll sizer then size with dies made for progressives. Eliminates any case/die problems and sizes the case in areas no press mounted die can fix. All the way to the rim and even inside the extractor groove.

I use a Hornady AP say they can load 500 rounds/ hr. Iam up to about 200/250/ Hr.
    I loaded a 1000 38spcls in a few hours.

Boolit Man
    Figure em out? Why, when you can get something that works? Granted I'm not as gifted as you are. I have only so much time to reload and I really appreciate being able to use reliable equipment.

I am thankful and understand those that choose to use Red products. I just don't have time for em.

Quote Originally Posted by bgw45 View Post
    Figure em out? Why, when you can get something that works?
    Its nice to have problem solving skills and a full understanding of how something works, because problems can be found on any machine. Knowing how to solve them gets you going faster and saves you money to ship them back to whomever made them for repair.

Boolit Master
    I have a SDB, have used it for many pistol calibers, but it is going to be dedicated to 38 special and 357 magnum shortly.

Just got the Hornady LNL with case and bullet feeders in used condition, working on refurbishing and have high hopes for it handling 9mm, 45 acp and 223

Was given a pro1000, intend to set it up just to deprime, but can’t get the case feed slide to work as I think it should. Good project for over Thanksgiving I think.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m still not sure about the absolute volume the OP is going to be loading, but we used a 550B to load for a moderate amount of PPC (38 wc and swc) and 45 swc for a few Bullseye events with perfect satisfaction. It ISpossible to mis-seat primers or run out of powder and get bad rounds if you get in too big a hurry or don’t watch what you’re doing, but the same can be said of virtually any progressive press.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I run a lee 1000, it has issues that everyone has, a flake or two of powder is all it takes to mess up the primer feeding. I keep just clean the feed ramp when things get a bit off.

I have only owned one lee 1000, i don't know how many rounds it has done, but it would be a few hundred thousand by now. It has yet to pi$$ me off enough to be thrown in the lake or given to my worst enemy to torture them

For the price, you really can't go wrong. Dillon over here in .au is just insane, i think a 1050 with a case feeder is about 2k. It makes ammo that shoots better than i can.

I've been a mechanic my entire life, my father before me was a mechanical engineer. So I have been around all sorts of tools and all sorts of people that use them. From observation though I have learned that tools do not make the mechanic. Skill, understanding and attention to detail do. Anyone can learn to use a tool but that doesn't make them a mechanic. Over the many years I have also seen many good tools used wrong and then the operator complains about what a crappy tool it is. Go figure! Granted not all tools are created equal just as all mechanics are not created equal. But I have found that most tools if used as they were intended do a pretty good job and last a long time. Even the cheap ones.

I enjoy reading these threads about tools and listening to people describe their experiences with them. Some have made me laugh uncontrollably and others have left me shaking my head thinking that person shouldn't be using any tool. In my case it really makes no difference to me which brand tools you are using or how much you have invested in those tools. Why? Because I'm not using your tools, I'm using my tools and I'm using them because I'm happy with them, otherwise I would get rid of them and I'd be using something else. Just as anyone else would,

I have three presses on my bench. All three are old and all three were purchased used. All three will also most likely last me the rest of my lifetime. I also have never had to send a press back to the manufacture and suspect I never will. Besides, if one broke I would most likely replace it with another used one and never even think twice about it. But that is just me.

Just enjoy your time at the bench!

Boolit Master
    kmw1954, no truer words have been said. Like the guy undoing a bolt with a 6 foot pipe for leverage blames crappy tools because the bar broke, i wonder why? The old saying, a good tradesman never blames his tools (unless they are cheap and nasty Chinese garbage).

The way i figure it, we own guns, they are machines, the same as a reloading press. If you can work out how a gun works and know what to clean and lubricate, you can do the same to a reloading press to keep it running reliably.

Boolit Bub
    My 2 cents, just take them for what they are

I have a Dillon 550 and a Hornady LNL. Both presses will work fine and both have their quirks. The dillon can be a little problematic on the auto primer feeder so you have to keep it clean but the design is very simple, the manual indexing is fool proof and changing calibers is very easy, however having to buy a powder measure for each caliber is expensive.
    The LNL on the other hand needs to be very clean so it will index properly. Also the primer slide gave me some trouble but nothing that can't be fixed with a little deburring.
    My point is simple, unless something is wrong with the design of the press, every progressive will need some minor care and/or tuning. That's why as many said before it's great to have some skills to understand how things work, troubleshoot and fix on the fly.
    On the other hand, I truly like the Dillon dies for any progressive (how much I dislike this word that reminds me so much to the People's Republik of Kalifornia) press. They not only perform excellent but also are very easy to clean without having to adjust anything!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick45Colt View Post
    I just sold my Dillon 650XL because I needed a new furnace more! I have thought about the 1050 for 223/5.56 and getting the stuff required to also do 45ACP. I have been told that switching calibers on the 1050 is a pain so now I am not so sure. I was able to load 38/357, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 223, 308 and 30-06 on my 650XL. Worst cast I would buy 2 650XL's and only load 223 and 45ACP.
    It depends on your definition of a pain.

If you don't mind spending 20 minutes to an hour tearing down a machine that is built like a quality tank, doing a bit of cleaning and lube and setting it up for another run, it is no big deal. Once setup, it just runs like a slot machine that pays out every time.

My 1050 is setup for 9mm and 40 cal, so I don't have to change the priming system, but I have pulled it apart to clean it. No big deal. I tore it down all the way, except for the crank shaft. It often stays setup for one caliber for months. When I know I need the other caliber, I load up plenty of what it is currently setup for and then switch and load for the second. Even if I had to switch it out every week, no big deal. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

400 rounds of 9mm took 20 minutes or so at a slow pace, the other night. The swaging for 9mm primer pockets is priceless and it would be the same for 223. If my 223 volume was higher, or I had more extra money, it would be setup for 223 and would have a dillon trimmer. The toolheads are 200 bucks for an empty head, so not cheap.

The 650 does not compare to the 1050, which is also on my bench but owned by my brother. We load 223 on that and swage on the dillon bench tool and I made a trimming machine that uses a cts cutter and indexes on the necks. All other calibers get loaded on my 550 with a case feeder modified to feed rifle cases and 460 pistol cases. I would rather swap calibers on the 1050 than the 550.

The 650 does not compare to the 1050, which is also on my bench but owned by my brother. We load 223 on that and swage on the dillon bench tool...I would rather swap calibers on the 1050 than the 550.
    The thing I like most about the 1050 is the swage station on #3 and the 1050 is the least fun to swap calibers especially if a primer swap is needed. The 550 is the easiest out of all the Dillon progressives, a caliber swap without primer change can be done in less than 30 seconds if they use the same shell plate.

There are not many progressives where you can change primer sizes this fast and easy. For that matter even the Co-ax single stage takes longer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234