MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Build, trigger advice needed please

Boolit Master

AR Build, trigger advice needed please

OK, I confess that I have been bitten by the AR build bug and want to build a dedicated long range target and varmint rifle in 223/5.56. I already have a new Ruger lower and an upper that is a snug fit bought from a local gun store. My plan is a 20" heavy profile barrel, fixed buttstock, free floated handguard. But, looking at match grade triggers has filled my head with confusion. I thought about Timmey triggers first, then CMC (Chip McCormic), and now I see that Brownells has Geissele triggers for a decent price. Does anyone here have experience with any of the above manufactures? Looking for something in the 4 to 4.5# range as I may want to compete in matches at some point. Thanks for looking.

Banned

Try this thread here that is in Military Rifle section as it pretty much discussed what you are asking.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...igger-worth-it

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I have read that thread. I am not really looking for a budget trigger but a match/target trigger in the 4# to 4.5# range.

Moderator Emeritus

I use these in all my AR builds(7 so far, 5 for other family who bought the parts I recommended). Nice and smooth, no creep, fast reset for follow up shots.
    https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...er-3.5lb-pull/

Banned
    https://www.deltateamtactical.com/AR...ers-_c_74.html

Cost effective and they get the job done.

Boolit Master

for a dedicated long range target/varmint gun my own choice is a JARD adjustable. a little finicky to set up perfectly, but imo nothing else compares.

Banned
    We each have our favorites.

Boolit Master
    Just a heads up if anyone is interested: Brownells stopped the sale prices before I decided to pull the trigger, however Optics Planet had a special on the Geissele National Match High Speed trigger. $25 off with free 2 day shipping. I did pull the trigger on that deal..... (puns intended)

Now to find a 20" or longer match grade bull or heavy barrel, maybe off to Monmouth reloading for that.

Super Moderator

I recently did a Varmint AR build with a 20" White Oak Armament 1/12 twist bull barrel. I put in the Timney Targa trigger. It's a two stage trigger with a 2 pound take up, and a 2 pound release. It worked out perfectly for my needs. Here's a link:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...wo-stage-solid

I have CMC triggers, but for the money, Rise Armament makes a quality "drop-in" unit that is very reasonably priced.
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Boolit Grand Master

I have Jewels 2 stage in my match ARs. The giesele and Jard are very good also. As to barrels Look at Kriegers website they are very good and available as log as 26" lengths. I have several Krieger barrels. I also have a AR with a lilja on it that shoots very good.

I have two Geissele Automatics triggers, a service rifle and a match rifle trigger. Both are fine triggers and have given good service for ten years and 40,000 shots fired.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

I like my RRA varmint 2 stage trigger ... If you are looking for a decent trigger under 100 ... It works well.
    DRS

Boolit Master

I think this is the best trigger under $150 http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Moderator Emeritus

Barrels I use and my LGS uses in their custom builds http://www.shop.dezarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=27 my 5.56 AR is sub moa, 5 shots into the space of a quarter is easy off a rest.

i have 2 CMC triggers and 2 ALG triggers, and a Geisele, my next is going to be a CMC

Boolit Master
    Anyone wanting AR-15 parts should probably hold off for a couple of weeks until the Black Friday sales hit. I would expect to be able to save a significant sum on any parts at that time.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

black friday can bring some screamin deals if your on your toes shopping.

Boolit Master
    My 2 cents; I installed a Geissele H.S.N.M. trigger (DMR) in my "precision" AR and I freekin LOVE it

https://geissele.com/hi-speed-nation...igger-set.html
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    for a dedicated long range target/varmint gun my own choice is a JARD adjustable. a little finicky to set up perfectly, but imo nothing else compares.
    What /\ said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast